PDA

View Full Version : Leftovers

Willkat98
06-05-2008, 06:03 PM
We had a few days leftovers this week, as we are now in swim season (5 nights a week practice, switching to days soon!!)

Sunday, it was ribeye steaks. Big ones. Had nearly a pound left over.

Second day, took the steak and chopped it up good and added to Zatarains dirty rice mix for a side dish.

Last night, cooked a chorizo stick, took the rest of the dirty rice, Trader Joe's fire roasted salsa, and some left over chiuaha (sp? Chi-wow-ah) cheese, fried some corn tortilla's and made "cajun tacos" with the dirty rice and chorizo.

Started eating, and realized I hadn't snapped a pic of any of it.

Here is one, not real appetizing, but it was good chit

Fatback Joe
06-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Nice use of the leftovers...........but yeah, not real appetizing pic LOL

SmokyOkie
06-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Chihuahua?

I'm sure it tasted better than it looks.:thumbs up:

peculiarmike
06-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Ugh! That looks terrible!
Box it up with dry ice and ship it on down.

Willkat98
06-06-2008, 12:17 PM
We actually just discovered frying the corn tortillas a little, but not too long, after a failed enchillada experiment.

For decades, we always bought the flour tortillas and just heated them on a clean griddle to warrm them.

The fried ones are much better!

Fatback Joe
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Bill,

How much oil are you using to fry them? Are you actually submerging them. When I do corn tortillas (which is often) I use just enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet and just go for a short amount of time on each side.........just enough to soften them up and get a little grease on them, but not to where they get greasy.........if that makes sense.

SmokyOkie
06-06-2008, 12:51 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpgsounds a little like the Rex's discada

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502&highlight=discada

Willkat98
06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Makes perfect sense.

I would say that I am using a couple ounces at most, maybe 1/8" of "pooled" oil in a small pan (these tortillas are about 6" across) of EVOO or sometiimes sunflower oil.

Drop it in for 25 seconds or so, flip it, it forms a "pillow" and I push down to ensure the flipped side is coated, then pick up and flip onto paper towels, flipping to ensure residule oil is gone.

Whole process is under a minute. Cheese on first then hot fixing on top insures cheese is melted in seconds.

We don't do a sit down on taco night, as these are a small production line item and we all eat them when they come up, good and hot.

I just eat last ;)

Fatback Joe
06-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah, last in line at my place too. I use a big cast iron skillet so I can knock out 3 at a time. My son likes them fried to a crisp (tostada) so I do his first (submerged) then pour out most of the oil and get to knocking them out and my wife and daughter mow through them as fast as I can crank them out...........then I eat what is left........and do the clean up.........and take out the trash...........I think I just felt a slight tweak on the left one.

Willkat98
06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
my wife and daughter mow through them as fast as I can crank them out...........then I eat what is left........and do the clean up.........and take out the trash...........I think I just felt a slight tweak on the left one.

I prefer it this way.

Wife lost her job about 2 months back (blessing in disguise) but our one big thing she needed to agree on was to not even think about cooking.

And I'd rather load the dishwasher and clean up, cuz I'm going to have to do it twice (unload/load) if anyone else does it cuz they fark it up.

But when they hang around in the kitchen and get in my way while I'm cooking/cleaning, THAT goes right to tweaking both nuts at once

Like this little guy ---> :misbehaving:

Fatback Joe
06-06-2008, 01:12 PM
You just might be my life doppleganger :eek:

SmokyOkie
06-06-2008, 02:08 PM
The Okette and I do an assembly line thing when we have quesadillas, but we don't do it fast. We use flour tortillas ( xtra large size) and lay them on a lightly buttered griddle, add grate cheese, then she adds what she wants on her side and I on mine. By then it's fold over time, We like to do 'em until they're real crisp, then take them off and cut into quarters and top with sour cream, guac, salsa and whatever. I start getting the next one ready while we eat. then it's on to the next one.

strange this would come up today, we were planning on having these tonight.

(Oh, but she does usually clean up. She doesn't like me to)

Willkat98
06-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Last of the leftovers for this week was last night.

That dirty rice with steak really stretched a few meals.

Got the kettle going with Kingsford and hickory. 4 hugemongus chicken boobs rubbed in a product called Spicewine Hen-n-Hawg dust, which we actually split 2 up and 2 remain for next week leftovers (Fatback, the picture below is NOT half eaten chicken, so untweak yer nut)

Corn, Dirty Rice, and instant taters with Tony Chachere on them. 90* outside and this didnt heat the house in the least bit.

Good stuff

SmokyOkie
06-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Who posts pix of half eaten chicken?!!!!!!

Taters need gravy.:tap:

Willkat98
06-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Taters need gravy.

Is Tony C's available to you?

You do NOT need gravy with it.

Honestly, if not available,,,, INCOMING!!!

Fatback Joe
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Nut is "untweaked" LOL

What did you think of the Spicewine dust?

Willkat98
06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
What did you think of the Spicewine dust?

It was pretty good.

Can't wait to try it on "Hawg".

I sometimes find rubs intended for pork to be overpowering on chicken.

This was not the case with this stuff, and it had a great flavor

SmokyOkie
06-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Is Tony C's available to you?

You do NOT need gravy with it.

Honestly, if not available,,,, INCOMING!!!

Yes, Chachere's seasoning is available here but I prefer Paul Prudhomme's. Like I said though, taters need gravy. It's a texture thang.

Willkat98
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Yes, Chachere's seasoning is available here but I prefer Paul Prudhomme's. Like I said though, taters need gravy. It's a texture thang.

Have you tried Tony Chachere Brown Gavy?

Its the cat's behind (and I know you like cats)

PS, Paul Prudomme is a fat fark who practically stole the Stubb's family name when they fell on hard times to brand sauce under the Stubb's line.

SmokyOkie
06-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Have you tried Tony Chachere Brown Gavy?

Its the cat's behind (and I know you like cats)

PS, Paul Prudomme is a fat fark who practically stole the Stubb's family name when they fell on hard times to brand sauce under the Stubb's line.

I'll be sure and try some on my next batch of ca fricassee.:thumbs up:

Prudhomme is definitely what you say he is, but he sure does have a couple fantastical seasoning recipes. I've been trying to break them down for years now. I don't usually have that much trouble copying seasonings.