PDA

View Full Version : My rub......

Uncle Alvah
11-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I suppose I should come up with a better name than "My rub...". I'll have to work
on that.....

I had a couple PM's regarding the rub I used as seen in the thread on my first UDS cook thread.

Well, I don't have the proportions handy, so I'll add them later, butthis is what I can tell ya....

Heres the goodies, nothing exotic or special, really:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/rub001-1.jpg

Heres the mix. The black line on the zip lock is where I pour the first ingredient, Kosher salt, up too.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/rub003.jpg

After I pour the salt in the bag, all other ingredients are measured/added by using the precision measuring device shown here:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/Firstcook004.jpg

I'll find the written proportions later.

Several people who have tried this rub on my BBQ now refuse to eat any other, and I get plenty of compliments on it to boot. Not trying to brag, but only a dead dog won't wag it's own tail, yes? :exasper:

Joneser
11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Nice measuring system...
Simple.

BluDawg
11-22-2010, 12:24 PM
If my guesstimates are correct I would have to say that the Black Line is about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 "off the bottom of the bag. Looking at your pictures I would have to say that the Measuring device has something to do with the level of the bottle of Jim Beam in the picture too :msn-wink:

Uncle Alvah
11-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Good guesses, I'm guessing 1-3/4", but I'll have to check the bag. I just kinda winged it..

Gotta remember you're dealing with a guy who used a shotgun shell to mark the drill holes for the intakes on his UDS....

Actually, that shot glass has nothing to do with the depleted Jim Beam bottle......I however, DO!

Uncle Alvah
11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
PICS are too big, sorry!!!!!!
Photobucket changed some stuff, I'll try to fixie......

Uncle Alvah
11-22-2010, 12:59 PM
No can fixie...me sad.....me sorry......

SmokyOkie
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
The pix are great for me.

thanx for sharing the rub recipe.

glued2it
11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
A shot glass holds about 2TBS. I use one to measure the garlic and onion powder when I make my pork rub.
Pyrex actually makes a measuring cup that is a shot glass. I used it all the time till it got broken. I have made it so much I don't need the lines on it anymore.:msn-wink:

Thanks for sharing the rub!

Uncle Alvah
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM
"Big Babu BBQ Rub"

-Bag is7x8 inches, kosher salt is poured to 1- inches deep.
-3- shots black pepper
-2 shots sage
-1 shot garlic powder
-1 shot onion powder
-1 shot paprika
-2 more shots salt
-1 shot red pepper, maybe more, depends if you've been drinking.

glued2it
11-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Thats a pretty good base.

If you want to try a good rib/butt rub I would suggest.
Half a coffee cup brown sugar
1/4 coffee cup paprika
dropping your salt to 2 shots and your red pepper to a 1/4 shot.(ribs)
1/2 a shot chilli seasoning or powder.

Ribs have more outside surface area and it's possible for them to be too hot or salty.

Just a suggestion play it and see what you get.

Fatback Joe
11-24-2010, 09:00 AM
I need to switch to a more user friendly method like that.

I currently count every granule of each ingredient. Sucks when you have to count out 4200 granules of kosher salt and someone interrupts you around the 3800 point.

Uncle Alvah
11-24-2010, 01:01 PM
your red pepper to a 1/4 shot.(ribs)

Never did any ribs, I'm still working on my butt, however, it's against my religion to ever REDUCE the amount or red pepper in anything!!!!!!