PDA

View Full Version : deer going on tha smokah...

Umpa
11-21-2010, 09:55 AM
not today, but prolly next weekend. good friend called me about what sort of cuts would be good to smoke in case he got one.. called again the next day to tell me that in 15 minutes, he got 2. one was a 10 point and the other he didn't say. he was on the way to get them processed. wanted to know how i wanted mine. "my what?", your deer. he's giving me a whole one!! nice. he's just gonna have the smaller one quartered for me..

no i guess its time to figure that out. guessing my pork rub aint' gonna be what i want to use. suggestions???

BluDawg
11-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Venison don't do to well low and slow It gets really gamey and chewy due to the lack of intramuscular fat:venison is one of the leanest meats on the planet. you will be better served to cook it a little on the rare side. no more than 1 hr per lb at 230 deg.
here is the Rub I use.
cup Blk pepper
cup Paprika
cup Turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons Salt
2 tablespoons Dry mustard
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

Buzzards Roost
11-21-2010, 10:28 AM
:whathesaid: I feel the same way. :thumbs up:

throttlejock27
11-21-2010, 11:06 AM
i cook alot of venison steak on the grill. u usually marinate it over night and cook it to medium rare. dont over due it or it will be very chewy. also trim off as much fat as you can because thats what gives it the gamey taste also

Chargrilled
11-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I have recently had good luck with hind 1/4s. Injected the crap outta it, rubbed it down, drummed it at 350 and took it to like 95 degrees before foiling adding some vinaigrette dressing to the pan and taking it to 125-130 before resting. Then slicing reserving the juice and dump it back over slices. I real young one is the best, but I also did a 6#er bone in that turned out ok.

Got to take out the glands and make sure the meat is cleaned correctly. The deer processing friend of mine does it.