PDA

View Full Version : Rack of lamb help

Vermin99
11-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I have never cooked lamb before but am planning on doing a rack of lamb on Thanksgiving. Any pointers on how to season it? I see a lot of recipes with rosemary and lamb but I can't stand rosemary. As far as cooking it I plan on searing it and finishing indirect.

BigAL
11-21-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm also not a real big fan of rosemary, just too strong for me. I do like thyme, though, and iirc I used it on a rack last spring.

I think mine had a bunch of fat that I just pulled off and it still had a layer of fat to protect from heat.

I never did any mint or mint/jelly, we just wanted to try it.(well I did:blushing:) My son & I really liked it, wife didn't want to try it. Mom thought it was pork....cause Dad told her it was so she would try it.:exasper: He got in trouble.:smack:

Don't over cook and I can't wait to see the pix!:drooling:

Vermin99
11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Here is my plan, I just infused some olive oil with some garlic, mint, thyme, sage, and yes a little rosemary. I am going to add some S&P to the rack and rub the oil all over the rack overnight. Then I'm gonna sear on all sides in a CI skillet and then make a paste using the oil and some more of the same fresh herbs, rub the rack with it and finish indirect.

Should this work?

chef schwantz
11-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Here is my plan, I just infused some olive oil with some garlic, mint, thyme, sage, and yes a little rosemary. I am going to add some S&P to the rack and rub the oil all over the rack overnight. Then I'm gonna sear on all sides in a CI skillet and then make a paste using the oil and some more of the same fresh herbs, rub the rack with it and finish indirect.

Should this work?

Sounds pretty close to what I was thinking, but I would maybe add a bit of lemon, and some oregano. Make sure you don't go much past 140. If it ain't at least pink, its pretty tough and dry.

tomshoots
11-23-2010, 07:53 PM

Should this work?

Sounds like a pretty good plan, and what chefswantz said. Rosemary is easy to overdo especially if it's dried. If you use fresh, and just a little, you might like it.

Another very easy way to go is a smear of EVOO and Cavender's Greek Seasoning. It rocks on lamb.

Good luck!

Butt Lover's
11-23-2010, 09:48 PM
:whathesaid::whathesaid:

I love rosemary so much I have a huge plan in my garden...but what they suggested will be d@mn good also :)

SmokyOkie
11-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't think the overnight part is necessary. Lamb racks are so small that if you get good coverage on the outside, you will have plenty of flavor.

I like rosemary on lamb, but if you don't, fresh mint and oregano with garlic is killer. Fresh herbs, garlic, sea or Kosher salt and cracked black pepper make a wonderful rub, but they work a lot better grileld over high heat that pan seared.

An herb and panko/.parmesan crust in shallow light olive oil would be a better pan sear combo IMHO.

As rare as you think folks can accept is also the order of the day. These will cook a little faster than a thick steak John.

To clean up the Frenching, take a piece of twine ( I like to use braided fishing line), and make about a 6" loop that is tied to a 5 or 6 inch bolt so that you can hold the bolt across the first joint of your fingers while the loop dangles below. Take the loop, and loop it once around one rib bone. Pull up on the bolt, and the loop will pinch on the excess meat and membranes and cut it off for a perfectly clean bone.

Squeezy
11-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Sounds like a pretty good plan, and what chefswantz said. Rosemary is easy to overdo especially if it's dried. If you use fresh, and just a little, you might like it.

Another very easy way to go is a smear of EVOO and Cavender's Greek Seasoning. It rocks on lamb.

Good luck!

LOL! I bought some Cavender's a long time ago, have never even opened it and the reason I'm reading this old thread is because I did rack of lamb yesterday. Now I want to crack open that seasoning ...

SmokyOkie
11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
LOL! I bought some Cavender's a long time ago, have never even opened it and the reason I'm reading this old thread is because I did rack of lamb yesterday. Now I want to crack open that seasoning ...

there goes hindsight again!:msn-wink: