PDA

View Full Version : I need a killer cranberry relish recipe

SmokyOkie
11-20-2010, 11:48 PM
We bought some cranberry relish a couple years ago that was pure heaven with cranberries. It had some citrus, spices (a fair amount of clove as I recall) and was very sweet, tart and thick as well. It really was more of a relish than a sauce. It seemed as if it was most likely thickened with pectin.

Does anybody have a similar recipe that I could try?

cliffcarter
11-21-2010, 06:43 AM
We use the recipe on the bag of Ocean Spray cranberries-
1 cup of orange juice
1 cup of sugar
12 oz bag of cranberries

bring to aboil and simmer 10-12 mins(the berries will pop open), remove from heat and cool in the pan, the sauce will thicken on its own.
We don't add any extra spices but I have seen recipes that add allspice or cinnamon(1 teaspoon seems most common for cinnamon from a quick search). I saw Guy Fieri add a couple of finely chopped chipotles in adobo sauce just yesterday on FN, a KISS rule violation IMHO.

BluDawg
11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
My granniy used to make a relish like that.
She would grind the berries and capture the juice, and add to the berries the zest of 2 oranges, and a little salt
Add the spices ( cinnimon stick,clove , and star anice) to the cranbery juice with the juice of the oranges and a little sugar( a spicey cran/orange simple syrup)!

Mix a cold little water with some cornstarch to make a slurry (equal parts)

Warm the juice and the spices allow to steep over low heat 20 min remoce from the heat cover and allow to cool to room temp pick out the whole spices put it back on the heat whisk in the corn starch and water slurry. Bring to a boil for 2 min remove from heat allow to cool 20 min pour over the berry pulp oragne zest mixture. cool in the icebox over night.

morkdach
11-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Check out Guy on the food network he had a good one on his thanksgiving dinner.