PDA

View Full Version : stick burner vs. SFB

SmokinTexas
05-29-2008, 06:08 PM
what is the difference ?
just size ? mine appears to be a SFB by the pictures i am seeing but it I can fit cut logs in, which is all I use.

CONFUSED..:smack:

nmayeux
05-29-2008, 06:49 PM
I take it by "SFB," you mean side fire box. As for the stick burner thing, this refers to the type of fuel used, in this case logs or splits (sticks). See the pic below. As for the confuguration, I believe that most stick burners have a side fire box. Also, many cookers like the Bandera, BSKD, and others allow you to use charcoal and sticks.

Personally, I like a stick burner as I am a pyro at heart! The others cook very well, but personally I believe that there is no better Q than that cooked over a hardwood fire.

SmokinTexas
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I take it by "SFB," you mean side fire box. As for the stick burner thing, this refers to the type of fuel used, in this case logs or splits (sticks). See the pic below. As for the confuguration, I believe that most stick burners have a side fire box. Also, many cookers like the Bandera, BSKD, and others allow you to use charcoal and sticks.

Personally, I like a stick burner as I am a pyro at heart! The others cook very well, but personally I believe that there is no better Q than that cooked over a hardwood fire.

thanks

SmokyOkie
05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
In actuality, a lot of comp cookers use charcoal to fuel their stickburners. It's a little easier to regulate the burn on overnight cooks, however, a lot of offsets (SFB) just really don't have a big enough fire box to burn totally on a hardwood fire.

Happy Cooker
05-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I have a smokin pro with an SFB. I run part lump charcoal and split wood.Works for me. JT

SmokyOkie
05-30-2008, 10:53 PM
My son does exactly the same and it works great. Do you hang theash catcher upside down and use it as a heat baffle as well? He also uses what is supposed to be the SFB cooking grate for a fire grate in order to improve air flow and heat travel. Do you do that too?

nmayeux
05-31-2008, 07:52 AM
I do agree that there is a lot of grey area, and I have used charcoal in my stick burner, and splits in my BSKD. I guess the point is that "stick burner" refers to fuel, and "SFB" refers to design.

glued2it
05-31-2008, 08:31 AM
You burn your fuel in your side fire box.(yes design)

People usually refer a "stick burner" as to size of the smoker itself. As to residential backyard smokers(charcoal), to more mobile and commercial size(stick burner)

SmokyOkie
05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
I do agree that there is a lot of grey area, and I have used charcoal in my stick burner, and splits in my BSKD. I guess the point is that "stick burner" refers to fuel, and "SFB" refers to design.

I think actually SFB (side fire box) refers to an optional accessory for a Chargriller grill. Offset smoker would refer to the design. And I agree, stickburner does refer to the fuel, but also a smoker that is designed to fuel totally with logs.

You burn your fuel in your side fire box.(yes design)

People usually refer a "stick burner" as to size of the smoker itself. As to residential backyard smokers(charcoal), to more mobile and commercial size(stick burner)

welder
06-01-2008, 06:50 PM
I love this smoker I made at school where I teach welding it will handle anything you throw at it made out of 1/2' metal
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/jestridge/Smoker001.jpg
this is my first pic hope i did it right

SmokyOkie
06-02-2008, 10:31 AM
This one's made of all 1/2" too. It takes a lot to get her hot, but once you do, she stays that way.

Happy Cooker
06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Smokie Okie, I flipped my ash pan in the main chamber upside down. It took me 3 tries to get it where I was happy with it. I made a charcoal basket out of expanded steel and made 3-12 inch peices of 3/4 inch angle iron for it to sit on. With proper vent control,I can run at 225 to 250 most of the day.I have to add a bit of charcoal and a stick of wood now and then. JT