PDA

View Full Version : New at US BBQ Supply-Maverick

SmokyOkie
10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
An economical alternative to the Thermapen.

The Maverick splashproof instant read folding probe thermometer.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SmokyOkie/MaverickPT-100.jpg

This could be the key that unlocks the lock that the folks at Thermapen have on the market. This unit offers everything that the thermapen does plus a larger backlit display, and for almost $40 less.

Check it out here (http://usbbqsupply.com/home/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_38&products_id=131)

SmokyOkie
10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
bump:thumbs up:

BigAL
10-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I'll give a :thumbs up::thumbs up: for my mav. I thought it was a waste of $$$ until I bought one. I use it all the time and bought my Mom and MIL one for Christmas last yr. Great tool.

One bad thing is they don't make a K-State purple one, cause they would just be too dang awsome! Can't put a price on awsome!:thumbs up::D

Joneser
10-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Is it as fast as a Thermapen?

BigAL
10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
:oops: I have a thermapen. I have a mav dual temp prob for the smoker. Guess I should read better.:exasper:

flying illini
10-25-2010, 01:08 PM
It says is has this:
Type K Thermocouple with integral stainless precision micro tip probe

I would think the answer is yes it is as fast as a thermapen.

SmokyOkie
10-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Per their literature, -40C to 99C
1 Second minimum response time
2 Seconds maximum response time

So I would agree with Glen

There is also a Taylor that has the same K type thermocouple with infrared as well. Same price range.

I'll give a :thumbs up::thumbs up: for my mav. I thought it was a waste of $$$ until I bought one. I use it all the time and bought my Mom and MIL one for Christmas last yr. Great tool.

One bad thing is they don't make a K-State purple one, cause they would just be too dang awsome! Can't put a price on awsome!:thumbs up::D

The display is kinda purple.

I also thought it was kinda neat that it lists the done temps by degree of doneness on the unit itself.

Big Brother Smoke
10-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know the battery life of this unit? Thermapen says 1000 hours.

SmokyOkie
10-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Battery life on Therma pen is 1500 hours, but then there is no backlight. It uses two watch type batteries.

The Mav uses 3 triple A batteries and has a 10 hour (continual use) battery life.

Seems like a small price to pay for a good bqacklight, which is a major lacking in the Thermapen.:shrug:

flying illini
10-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Agree the backlight would be a cool add. Also the use of AAA batteries is a good move.

PS - When is maverick gonna fix the issues with the ET-73?

Bbq Bubba
10-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Have you done a review yet Tim?

If you give the nod, i'm buying. Need something that lites up and quite frankly, the new style Thermopens SUCK. :exasper:

SmokyOkie
10-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Agree the backlight would be a cool add. Also the use of AAA batteries is a good move.

PS - When is maverick gonna fix the issues with the ET-73?
I will have the replacement for the ET-73 prolly in time for Christmas.
they assure me that all issues with the ET-73 have been corrected. Everything for the cheap little switches, to having to disassemble the unit to reset, to an alarm to let you know when you go out of range, to the range itself.

Have you done a review yet Tim?

If you give the nod, i'm buying. Need something that lites up and quite frankly, the new style Thermopens SUCK. :exasper:

What prollems have you had with the splashproof TPs Bubba? I haven't had any issues with them other than price.

As to the Maverick unit, this is my review. I have had good performance from it.

PM me, we'll work something out for you to give it a try.

Chargrilled
11-01-2010, 07:40 AM
[quote=SmokyOkie;96563]

they assure me that all issues with the ET-73 have been corrected. Everything for the cheap little switches, to having to disassemble the unit to reset, to an alarm to let you know when you go out of range, to the range itself.
quote]

That is good news:thumbs up:, I have always liked those units even tho they have drawbacks.

flying illini
11-01-2010, 09:22 PM
[quote=SmokyOkie;96563]

quote]

That is good news:thumbs up:, I have always liked those units even tho they have drawbacks.

Agree. I really like the 2 I have (still work) but if they fix some of those issues it would be easier to buy again when the need arises.

SmokyOkie
11-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Iwill announce it when they arrive. Be watching toward the end of the year.

TimothyRobinson
11-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Hey everyone, Tim here from Thermoworks. Glad someone mentioned the 10 hour to 1500 hour battery life difference between the Maverick ProTemp and the Thermapen. Here's a Thermoworks-produced video comparing, among other things, the ProTemp and the Thermapen: http://bit.ly/9Jl77N.

Joneser
11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the link, Tim.
It's good to get different points of view. I love my thermapen for comps, but wouldn't mind having the Maverick for home stuff...
Welcome to the Joint!
I hope you can stay for a while and maybe make an intro post. There are lots of Thermapen users here.

Capt Dan
11-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Great thread. Time to replace my ET-73 before next seasons comps.:msn-wink:

TimothyRobinson
11-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Brian,
Thanks for the welcome. We love this forum and have been reading it for some time now. We know there are other good products out there, we're just passionate about our own and want to be a part of the conversation. What do you recommend as far as an "intro post"?
Tim

Joneser
11-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Tim,
You can click here (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5) , post a new message and tell us a little about yourself and if you cook, what you cook on and where you are from.

SmokyOkie
11-12-2010, 11:48 AM
:sign0016: to the forum Tim!

I too have a few Thermapens and like them very much.

I have seen your you tube video, and personally have not experienced the issues that your video illustrates.

Even if it were the case, the difference between your $100 price tag and the Maverick @ $62.50 justifies my use of the Maverick over Thermapen.

TimothyRobinson
11-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome SmokieOkie! We love this forum.

Glad you're having such good results with your Maverick. Just to clarify, the Thermapen lists at $96 and the Maverick lists in most places at $91.99 (sometimes $99.99).

SmokyOkie
11-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome SmokieOkie! We love this forum.

Glad you're having such good results with your Maverick. Just to clarify, the Thermapen lists at $96 and the Maverick lists in most places at $91.99 (sometimes $99.99).

But Thermapens are always $96 plus shipping, and the Mavericks are always $62.50 at www.usbbqsupply.com :shrug:

PigCicles
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
The Maverick sounds very intriguing - I may buy one and try it out. I have two Thermapens and like them very much, but am very interested in writing a head to head review of the two so as to weed out the differences that may make one more valuable through quality or durablity.

The thing that will attract more purchasers is price tag alone, but we all know that there are times when you get what you pay for... When I purchase a Maverick I will try it and post the review.

I would like to encourage anyone else to do the same. Word of mouth is worth its weight in gold.

SmokyOkie
11-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I have used both units. I have used the Thermapen extensively, but only used the Maverick a few times.

I have done side by side comparisons on the two in both boiling water and in ice water and can see no appreciable difference in the speed or accuracy between the Maverick and the Thermapen. I have seen a video that was produced by Thermapen that show the Maverick to be an underperformer, but I have not had that experience.

What I like better about the Thermapen is that fact that it is a little sleeker than the Maverick. I know there is a difference in battery life, but the Mav has a 10 hour continual use battery life. By my calculations, @ 3 seconds per use, that would mean that you have to change batteries every 1200 uses. For the price of 3 aa batteries, I think I can handle that.

What I like better about the Maverick is the larger display (any Thermapen user has had those times when it is a little hard to read) and the backlight. I really like the cool color of the backlight.

I think that for some folks who have not memorized their doneness temps, having them on the side of th unit would be handy as well.

All in all, if the price was the same, I would probably buy the Thermapen, but mostly just because that is what I am used to. Given the price difference, the choice is a no brainer in favor of the Maverick IMHO.

How's that Joe? Sorry, but I thought I had already done a better review than I had.

Here (http://www.theqjoint.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=5) is a link to the official review

Bbq Bubba
11-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Have burned up 9 Thermopens in the last year of cooking in a restaurant. I personally HATE the new design of the waterproof version. :exasper:
There more fragile than Matthew Staffords shoulder.

Looking forward to beating up a Maverick and will give a full review shortly.

Hell' i may have to carry these units in my store. :msn-wink: