PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Heads Rule!

SmokinOkie
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes, I'm a Pellethead, guess I'm the first for this forum.

Had a Cookshack FEC since 2003 and now own 3 of them. Getting a fourth built with a few mods.

Any questions about Pellets, Pellet Cookers just ask.

Have a PROBLEM with pellets? Bring it on, I've heard it all :roflmaoha0:

Russ

Fatback Joe
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Actually Pork Fat Rules!!!! :misbehaving:

glued2it
05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I can understand how one could become a pellet muncher....I mean pellet head after using one in last weeks comp.

The FEC 300 was a nice rig and The I love the rotisserie.
Even tho they are beyond my "purists" beliefs. They would be great for catering or special events.

As far as the backyard BBQ. I have to have wood or lump.
Regardless of the ease, It's to easy to get lazy and tending the pit is what it is all about.

There's a couple of more munchers around here somewhere.

phatQ
05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
What's a "pellet"?????? And what do they "rule"???

OK, just kidding. Long as it cooks good que it's fine by me.
See, in a blindfold test I'm not sure most could tell you what it was cooked on or how.
Course there are a few "gourmets" out there who profess to possess those abilities.
"I sense just a touch of oak, and the fragrance of new mown grass, along with a bit of celery and rose petals mixed with asphalt" Posh Posh :roflmaoha0:
Geeves, bring the Bently around. And have cook pack a picnic lunch with some of those nice que sammies.

BigAL
05-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Get in the back seat Russ, I've taken more crap from these TURDS than most anyone.:msn-wink: AND I DON'T DESERVE IT........NO MATTER HOW I SPELL IT! :msn-wink::roflmaoha0: :cheer:(still like.......oh hell you know)

I have a traeger and a Lou Country Smoker Whole hog.

Glad to see another pellet muncher here, not that I'm around much.

At first I thought you were SmokyOkiey, SmokyOky, SmokyOkeeeeeee, what ever that turd buckets' name is(:misbehaving:). :msn-wink:

He's a good POS, no matter what people tell you. :msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

BA_LoKo
05-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Welcome back, Al, you troublemaker. One of these days you'll figure that pellet muncher out and be able to make some decent food. (that was a swipe from left field!) :misbehaving:

(Come around more often, Brother! I need a tougher target than that school yard girl, glued!)

Smokin
05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Don't be nice to him Kev. He's trouble wherever he goes. The only reason we let him stay is so we have someone to kick around :msn-wink:

Welcome back Al. You're pobably here more than me anyway.

TX Sandman
05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Get in the back seat Russ, I've taken more crap from these TURDS than most anyone.:msn-wink: AND I DON'T DESERVE IT........NO MATTER HOW I SPELL IT! :msn-wink::roflmaoha0: :cheer:(still like.......oh hell you know)

Speaking of that, Al, I have have some pellets for you. Fresh from my daughter's diaper this morning. Guaranteed to give your Q that special *twang* of flavor. :msn-wink:

Bud's BBQ
05-26-2008, 07:07 PM
As a die hard stick burn, it is difficult to admit that I recently got an FEC 100. Guess I'm getting too old to stay up all night with the Lang. Just wondering what you all recommend for pellets. Odd enough, mine came with Traeger pellets??? Aren't they a competitive brand of pellet pooper?

Regardless, is there a preferred pellet?

ultramag
05-26-2008, 07:36 PM
As a die hard stick burn, it is difficult to admit that I recently got an FEC 100.

And the truth.....shall set you free. :msn-wink: I could give that Lang a beautiful home Walt. :sign0009: You know you're gonna just walk right by the woodpile to the bags of pellets from now on anyway. :saythat:

peculiarmike
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Holy COW! Bud! A pooper????? Say it ain't so!

Yeah! Mag and I could "share" the Lang, sorta being "neighbors" now. Keep it all nice and shined up. Give it regular doses of hickory, cherry, pecan. And spares, butts, fattys, brisket................ Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
It would have a good life down here, for sure! Never sit out in the weather, LOTS of attention. Might get to travel a bit.

Wow. A pooper! Who woulda thought?
Bet it does some good butts for those comps.

SmokyOkie
05-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Speaking of that, Al, I have have some pellets for you. Fresh from my daughter's diaper this morning. Guaranteed to give your Q that special *twang* of flavor. :msn-wink:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::r oflmaoha0::smack::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoh a0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
05-27-2008, 06:09 PM

Had a Cookshack FEC since 2003 and now own 3 of them. Getting a fourth built with a few mods.

Russ

Oh so honored to be in your presence Oh great pellet mentor. Good to see you here Russ!

As a die hard stick burn, it is difficult to admit that I recently got an FEC 100. Guess I'm getting too old to stay up all night with the Lang. Just wondering what you all recommend for pellets. Odd enough, mine came with Traeger pellets??? Aren't they a competitive brand of pellet pooper?

Hey Walt! What do we have to do to get you to come by a little more often?

For the time being, FEC/Cookshack has an agreement w/ Traeger who has owned the patent on the auger and burner mechanism. This includes the pellets as well. If you order pellets from the factory in Ponca City, they will be traeger pellets.

I beleive I overheard a conversation ....something about the patent expiring soon, or perhaps even already having expired. If that's the case, all sorts of new things may be happening soon.

Traeger is mostly just backyard, Harry Homeowner stuff. FEC/Cookshack are HD commercial stuff. To quote the president of the company "One thing about buying our stuff, it'll never fall apart".

I've seen how they build 'em, and I tend to beleive him.

Hope that answers your question, or was I too wordy:blushing:?

peculiarmike
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Hope that answers your question, or was I too wordy:blushing:?[/quote]

Too wordy?
SmokyOkie too wordy????????
Hah! Hard to comprehend. :roflmaoha0:

BigAL
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Sandman, nothin' better than smoke'n turds!:msn-wink:

Bout the same as burning a piece of meat and smoke'n it , eh there "okey"!:roflmaoha0:

BUD!!! You now have 2 nice smokers, congrats. :thumbs up: NOW you will know what good bbq tastes like.:msn-wink::misbehaving: Tell Tonto to get off her "high horse" and admit that pellets rule! :woohoo::msn-wink:

I do miss you worthless POS's. Ya'll bring a smile to my face. Been busy, and hope to be around more often to spread the BS.

Gotta go, take care. Time for my "treatment". :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Sandman, nothin' better than smoke'n turds!:msn-wink:

Bout the same as burning a piece of meat and smoke'n it , eh there "okey"!:roflmaoha0:

BUD!!! You now have 2 nice smokers, congrats. :thumbs up: NOW you will know what good bbq tastes like.:msn-wink::misbehaving: Tell Tonto to get off her "high horse" and admit that pellets rule! :woohoo::msn-wink:

I do miss you worthless POS's. Ya'll bring a smile to my face. Been busy, and hope to be around more often to spread the BS.

Gotta go, take care. Time for my "treatment". :msn-wink:

Cans or bottles?

tonto1117
05-30-2008, 07:26 AM
The Lang isn't going anywhere!! It's just nice to have options. Fired up the FE a few weeks back......what the heck are you supposed to do with all that extra time??:rolleyes:

SmokyOkie
05-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Sleep! They need to change it from Fast Eddie'sCooker to Fast Asleep Cooker.

tonto1117
05-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Sleep! They need to change it from Fast Eddie'sCooker to Fast Asleep Cooker.

LOL...Your right!! Now that youv'e done a couple comps I'm sure you know that sleep should never be underrated!!!:msn-wink:

mb386
08-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Just joined your "Forum", and I am now a "Pellithead".

Purchased a used Traeger "Lil Tex" from a good friend two weeks ago and love it. Put on some baby backs last Sunday and they were to "die for".

Looking forward to some more "smokes", the easy way.

Capt Dan
08-02-2008, 10:32 PM

You got to be kidding Bud! Did it come with a "handicapp sticker"!:roflmaoha0:

preferred pellet?

Hehehe, how many kinds of sawdust can a factory pack into a pellet?

Last time i seen ya at Eagle, you were pre-warming your sticks in the warmer of the lang! So sad to see it has led to this. I had so much respect for your team too!:shrug:

Next comp I can hear it now, "gentlemen, start your pellets"!:stir:

cajun_1
09-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Well I have the group also Bud. A nights sleep ... so restful.

californiasmokin
11-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Jason!
Do you have the little pink Piggy?:roflmaoha0:
They have one displayed outside a place that sells them in Los Gatos.

http://www.traegergrills.com/

Thom Emery
01-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Got a couple of FEC 100s on the backside of our two axel Bates Trailer smoker

PigCicles
01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Got a couple of FEC 100s on the backside of our two axel Bates Trailer smoker

Wanna share?? I'll trade ya a custom built drum smoker for one :msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Thom Emery
01-01-2010, 03:28 PM
That is temping..............

jimsbarbecue
01-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Have two of them (MAK) Makes life easier. Not saying it is the only way . Just the way that lets me cook BBQ more often

SmokyOkie
01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
How do the MAKs do at real low temps (200 and lower)

jimsbarbecue
01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
How do the MAKs do at real low temps (200 and lower)

The MAK starts at the smoke setting and then goes to 200 and from there increases in 5 steps to 450. At the smoke setting it hovers in the 160 to 180 rrange.It varies in the Smoke mode to create more smoke.It works real well in the smoke mode if it sees the temp at 160 for to long it turns the igniter on in case the fire maybe going out as a safety precaution so you don't have a flame out.

Primo
01-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Why i can get my primo down to 200 degre easy .Dont need no pellets .:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Rumblefish
05-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Russ
I have a chance to pick up a NIB Traeger BBQ070 Lil Tex
for 500$ locally. What's your opinion on the Traegers? I know the price is right, but are pellet grills worth the investment? Thanx in advance for any input.:sign0092:

SmokyOkie
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Like all grills/smoker, they have their strengths and weaknesses.

As I understand, they have a bit of trouble maintaining low temps, and I think they are a little flimsy, but for the price, you can't go wrong.

you will not get the smoke flavor you are accustomed to with a stickburner or a drum.

They are good for set it and forget it smoking though.

Just my :twocents:

BigAL
05-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Does it have the digital therm? The new ones are not very heavy, really got cheap in the last few yrs. IMHO, I'd save my money. Your not save'n that much over what you can normally get them for, iirc.

If you have to buy it now and can't wait for 1 week to think about it, then I say let it go. that is how I look at big ticket items. If you have the cash and know someone you can sell it to later, then go for it. It is always fun to learn how to use a new smoker, no matter what it is. You always learn something, and that is always good.:thumbs up: