PDA

View Full Version : Advice Requested Re: GAS

Daddeo
10-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I need some advice from you pillars of information. I only sue charcoal to get the wood started. I want to intall a gas burner in my firebox for lighting the charcoal to get it started before I switch to wood and to use for heat occasionaly when I'm far into the cook and conserned with heat for cooking rather than smoke. Also, I want it to be set up off the bottum of the firebox so it will be easy to scrape out ashes. I once had a burner for a shrimp pot, like a bayou classic jet cooker. It just had a brass cap with a tiny hole in it on the end of a 1/2" pipe.

You think I could just install something like that and have it at the height where the grat for the fire is?

Joneser
10-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm sure you could find a good after burner set-up. I don't have a link handy, but what you are asking about is very doable. Ddave has one on a stick burner, maybe drop him a PM and he can chime in...

jerry516planes
10-06-2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/j_2040_loglighter_&_hose.jpg

These folks have a seemingly endless supply of parts. The loglighter is just a piece of 3/4" pipe with some holes drilled in it. I personally make my own and experiment with drill holes till I get what I want. Put a piece of angle iron over it to act as a roof. You can also get burners for cheap when someone gets a new stove...

My most recent pit I light with a Habor Weed Burner, which I also use to add heat at the end of a cook.

Not rocket science.

Daddeo
10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Angle iron for a cap....great idea and easy to fix up. Embarassed that I couldn't think of that. I had one on a previous smoker and I think I had too many holes in the pipe that were too big so I had to have the flame too high to keep from making soot.

peculiarmike
10-07-2010, 07:34 AM
I need some advice from you pillars of information. I only sue charcoal to get the wood started. I want to intall a gas burner in my firebox for lighting the charcoal to get it started before I switch to wood and to use for heat occasionaly when I'm far into the cook and conserned with heat for cooking rather than smoke. Also, I want it to be set up off the bottum of the firebox so it will be easy to scrape out ashes. I once had a burner for a shrimp pot, like a bayou classic jet cooker. It just had a brass cap with a tiny hole in it on the end of a 1/2" pipe.

You think I could just install something like that and have it at the height where the grat for the fire is?

So Dad......... if you install a gas burner to light charcoal to light your wood with.......................

Uh... why bother with the charcoal??? Put the wood in place and light the burner, it will light the wood. :lightbulb: :D
This type burner is a popular option on a lot of different brands of stickburner smokers. Do some looking around on the net.

Daddeo
10-07-2010, 09:09 AM
That does seem a little obvious doesn't it. I like to put larger pieces of meat on when they are real cold and start out with more smoke and a little heat for a great smoke ring. I usually light about 3 or 4 pieces of charcoal and lay some aged hickory on top of them once they are about half lit. I get lots of sweet smoke and very little heat, and it gradually builds into a fire. The gas is just an easy way to get the charcoal going, and then I have the gas for later if I need some extra heat or I just want to hold it steady for the last couple of hours.

All of the burner set ups I found on the net to use with wood sat on the bottum of the fire box. I want to keep the bottum clear for cleaning the firebox out. The log lighter with an angle iron hood will be perfect .... thanks again for waking me up about the hood.

i did some searching before I came to the forum for advice.

peculiarmike
10-08-2010, 07:32 AM
That does seem a little obvious doesn't it. I like to put larger pieces of meat on when they are real cold and start out with more smoke and a little heat for a great smoke ring. I usually light about 3 or 4 pieces of charcoal and lay some aged hickory on top of them once they are about half lit. I get lots of sweet smoke and very little heat, and it gradually builds into a fire. The gas is just an easy way to get the charcoal going, and then I have the gas for later if I need some extra heat or I just want to hold it steady for the last couple of hours.

All of the burner set ups I found on the net to use with wood sat on the bottum of the fire box. I want to keep the bottum clear for cleaning the firebox out. The log lighter with an angle iron hood will be perfect .... thanks again for waking me up about the hood.

i did some searching before I came to the forum for advice.

You do know the "smoke ring" is the result of a chemical reaction and nothing to do with smoke? You can get a nice looking "smoke ring" in a gas smoker with no wood or smoke involved.
And it comes down to - It's YOUR smoker, do what YOU like. :msn-wink:

Daddeo
10-08-2010, 09:26 AM
I stand corrected. I thought that the "smoke ring" had something to do with nitrogen dioxide, or something like that, that comes from the burning wood but I had no idea that it had nothing to do with smoke. Oh well, my objective with this forum, besides just enjoying the threads, is to learn something. That's why I called you guys pillars of knowledge. Thanks for the lesson. I does seem that cold meat absorbs or takes-in more smoke even if it doesn't have anything to do with the smoke ring.

I really do appreciate the angle Iron hood idea and I hope I'm not a pain in the butt with my questions.