PDA

View Full Version : If it clucks or gobbles, can it be called "bacon"????

chef schwantz
09-20-2010, 04:24 PM
I think we need a new poll. I have seen several non-pork products referred to as "bacon". To me, bacon is made from pork. Not turkey, chicken, corn gluten, or tofu. (Beef however is a bit of a grey area). There have been national movements designed to protect certain consumable items from being "copied" such as Cheeses, Wines, Proscuttio, etc. Why can mechanically separated, chopped, formed and pressed poultry with non poultry artificial flavors added still be called "bacon"?

Who agrees with me?

PigCicles
09-20-2010, 04:28 PM
... so add a poll buster

I agree (anyone think I wouldn't) :thumbs up::thumbs up:

PigCicles
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I bet you'd be hard pressed to find chicken / turkey bellies on the commodities market anywhere.

chef schwantz
09-20-2010, 04:34 PM
... so add a poll buster

I agree (anyone think I wouldn't) :thumbs up::thumbs up:

I don't know how to add a poll. I thought it was a Mod only thing.

chef schwantz
09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't know how to add a poll. I thought it was a Mod only thing.

Never mind, I found it.

Vermin99
09-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I think any non pork bacon wannabe should be called fakeon

chef schwantz
09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I think any non pork bacon wannabe should be called fakeon

I agree. If we don't act now, we will soon hear about things like "turkey brisket" and "turkey baby backs". Lets put the pork back in bacon.

O B City
09-20-2010, 08:32 PM
I agree. If we don't act now, we will soon hear about things like "turkey brisket" and "turkey baby backs". Lets put the pork back in bacon.

I'd eat soylent green first.

chef schwantz
09-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Its people bacon. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
09-20-2010, 08:51 PM

Maybe soylent green, but not brown

chadd17
09-20-2010, 08:59 PM
If it aint pork, it aint bacon! :tap:

Bubblehead
09-20-2010, 10:29 PM
I think we need a new poll. I have seen several non-pork products referred to as "bacon". To me, bacon is made from pork. Not turkey, chicken, corn gluten, or tofu. (Beef however is a bit of a grey area). There have been national movements designed to protect certain consumable items from being "copied" such as Cheeses, Wines, Proscuttio, etc. Why can mechanically separated, chopped, formed and pressed poultry with non poultry artificial flavors added still be called "bacon"?

Who agrees with me?

For the record, I voted "NO". I just don't know what to call it when explaining a dish that has it in it.

Jake
09-21-2010, 02:04 AM
NO sir, and chit i can make a poll :shrug: who knew, guess i better go look for that there link...... chit and think of a poll question :tap:

Joneser
09-21-2010, 07:00 AM
No way, man! Bacon is pork....
I remember when I was a kid and my mom tried to spring Sizzlean on us....there was a mutiny in our house....

crewdawg52
09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Nuff said :tap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Chargrilled
09-22-2010, 08:34 AM
I voted no because it just said bacon without a qualifier. Not if we added a qualifier such as venison bacon:drooling:, boar bacon:eating: then I could vote yes, but not in this poll!!!:thumbs up::msn-wink:

Joneser
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Trav, Last time I looked, Boar was pork...

Chargrilled
09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Trav, Last time I looked, Boar was pork...

Thats kinda what im sayin. If i told you we're gonna have bacon and eggs and served Boar bacon or anything but traditional bacon you would ask questions like "what kind of friggin bacon are you serving us today Trav?????". Sooooooooooo anything but traditional swine fatback isnt bacon in my book.

But you still got me on the boar pork thing:tap::misbehaving:

chef schwantz
09-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Some of you may think its funny now, but just wait until your wife calls you up, and asks you to pick up a rack of turkey babybacks on your way home, or you go over to your sisters house for brisket, and when you get there, find out its made from corn gluten, fermented soy and sprouted grain. Its a very slippery slope we are being pressured into.

peculiarmike
09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Bacon comes from a HOG. Period.

SmokyOkie
09-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Bacon comes from a HOG. Period.

Not from a sow? :stir:

PigCicles
09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Not from a sow? :stir:

Troublemaker!

There are forms of non- traditional bacon, but are usually made with pork parts. Buckboard bacon is one but more reminds me of "Canadian Bacon" ... I am fully opposed to bacon made out of Canadians

chef schwantz
10-14-2010, 04:33 PM
40 responses, and not a single one in favor of calling bacon flavored turkey product, "bacon". I think that speaks highly of the caliber of members we have here.

Bubblehead
10-15-2010, 02:41 PM
ba·con

/ˈbeɪhttp://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngkən/[bey-kuhhttp://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngn]
–noun 1. the back and sides of the hog, salted and dried or smoked, usually sliced thin and fried for food.

2. Also called white bacon. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/white+bacon) South Midland and Southern U.S. pork cured in brine; salt pork.

—Idioms 3. bring home the bacon, a. to provide for material needs; earn a living.

b. to accomplish a task; be successful or victorious: Our governor went to Washington to appeal for disaster relief and brought home the bacon—$40 million.

4. save one's bacon, Informal . to allow one to accomplish a desired end; spare one from injury or loss: Quick thinking saved our bacon.

Vermin99
10-15-2010, 03:14 PM
40 responses, and not a single one in favor of calling bacon flavored turkey product, "bacon". I think that speaks highly of the caliber of members we have here.

Looks like we have one bad apple in the bunch. Someone voted yes.

chef schwantz
10-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Perhaps we should have a Q Joint proclamation: Non pork containing bacon flavored products shall not be labeled "bacon".

SmokyOkie
10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
10,003 votes?:shrug: