PDA

View Full Version : Okie and the TQJ Team Take First in Brisket

SmokyOkie
05-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Claremore, OK Boots and BBQ competition took 1st in brisket with a score of 172.5716. 15th overall 635.4292.

All wore out right now, more to come later.

Oh, and yes it was a KCBS comp. with a fairly tough field of 49teams.

mwthomas
05-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Claremore, OK Boots and BBQ competition took 1st in brisket with a score of 172.5716. 15th overall 635.4292.

All wore out right now, more to come later.

Oh, and yes it was a KCBS comp. with a fairly tough field of 49teams.

J called me and told me while the team was still at the comp - Man was he ever excited. Congradulations Big Time.

BlazerQue
05-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Congrats!

TX Sandman
05-17-2008, 09:32 PM
:wings::wow: Alright! Awesome! Way ta go, y'all!

:chickn4: Time for some serious celebratin', tonight! :1959_dancing_bannan

Q-N-Brew
05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Congratulations to TQJ BBQ Team! You guys ROCK! And movin on up and only in the 2nd comp.

Looking for more great things to come!:woohoo:

msmith
05-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Congrats Okie way to go.

Florida Bill
05-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Congratulations TQJ team! Look forward to a report of the comp. I'm really excited for you all.

flying illini
05-18-2008, 11:59 AM
That is just great. 49 teams!

PigCicles
05-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Well ... Got any pix of this event? Don't leave us hangin here :tap: :drooling:

BigAL
05-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey TURD!!! Your lucky I wasn't there! :msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Congrats on a job well done. :thumbs up::cheer:(I still like this cheerleader)

K5YAC
05-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I was there with some of my family doing some tasting... gotta say that TQJ was definitely some good eats... got my vote (and my wife's). I think we got to sample most of the offerings before we got too full, and I almost passed on TQJ ribs... glad I didn't, they were goo'ood. That was the first event of that sort we have ever been to. Pretty cool stuff, and for the price, real good eating.

Way to go on the brisket fellas, keep it up!

peculiarmike
05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
BRAGGIN' RIGHTS fer sure! Congrats!
See, told ya.

SmokyOkie
05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks everybody. Be sure to congratulate the rest of the team,
Glued 2 it and Pigbutt!

We got a few pix, but as most of you might realize, once we got there, it was aqll about the cooking and turen in and we prolly didn't get as many pix as we'd like to have.

BTW Mike, we did go saltier.:shrug:

peculiarmike
05-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks everybody. Be sure to congratulate the rest of the team,
Glued 2 it and Pigbutt!

We got a few pix, but as most of you might realize, once we got there, it was aqll about the cooking and turen in and we prolly didn't get as many pix as we'd like to have.

BTW Mike, we did go saltier.:shrug:

Hey, what ever works. And saltier appears to work.
But you know WE ain't eating it that way. :twocents:

Oh yeah - Jane says :woohoo:

PigCicles
05-19-2008, 03:45 AM
ooohhh alright - Congrats to the rest of the team for being strong enough to carry such a heavy load. It takes some really strong spirits to hang on that long and go that far. We'd really like to hear how ya'll managed to pull off a first place in the Brisket category when you have a cook who over cooks his food and puts too much salt on it ... :roflmaoha0:

Really you guys are a great team. And it had to be a team effort to get a first in any category. Keep up the great work.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

glued2it
05-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks all,
Welcome to the joint K5YAC glad you made it over.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your family.

Ok as for pics, Smoky's right we were to busy with everything to take pics with only 3 team members there.
All I got was the chicken and pork turn in boxes and the check.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/tqjpics/Picture547.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/tqjpics/Picture551.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/tqjpics/Picture552.jpg

Bbq Bubba
05-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Congrats on the finish guys, although i CANNOT believe you didn't get a pic of the brisket........:smack:

Chicken looks pretty good, maybe some work on your boxes would kick up that score!
If your going to use parsley, try something more like this...

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5811/mipracticecookoff026nh9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

peculiarmike
05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
SO. Who is the crabby looking old guy in the red shirt????
Does he ever smile? :stir:

As far as looks go that chicken and pork look fine. The appearance portion of judging refers to the appearance of the MEAT, regardless if there is any vegetation present or not. Does it appeal as something you would like to eat? That is what the judges are supposed to be looking for.
I'd eat both for sure! And I'd bet they taste mighty good too!

SmokyOkie
05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
ooohhh alright - Congrats to the rest of the team for being strong enough to carry such a heavy load. It takes some really strong spirits to hang on that long and go that far. We'd really like to hear how ya'll managed to pull off a first place in the Brisket category when you have a cook who over cooks his food and puts too much salt on it ... :roflmaoha0:

Really you guys are a great team. And it had to be a team effort to get a first in any category. Keep up the great work.

I guess the judges all liked the overcooked salty brisket!

Congrats on the finish guys, although i CANNOT believe you didn't get a pic of the brisket........:smack:

Chicken looks pretty good, maybe some work on your boxes would kick up that score!
If your going to use parsley, try something more like this...
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

Man, you can't get any prettier than that Steve!

our parsley looked like that until we put the meat on it. How do you get it to stand up so well?

We took clumps, lined 'em up, twisted the stems off and placed 'em tightly together in "tufts". Teach us the trick.

SO. Who is the crabby looking old guy in the red shirt????
Does he ever smile? :stir:

As far as looks go that chicken and pork look fine. The appearance portion of judging refers to the appearance of the MEAT, regardless if there is any vegetation present or not. Does it appeal as something you would like to eat? That is what the judges are supposed to be looking for.
I'd eat both for sure! And I'd bet they taste mighty good too!

I think I'm beginning to figure it out Mike. I think its a little like the way a pretty girl looks prettier in a pretty dress.

PigCicles
05-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Psst ... Okie says he wears dresses ... pass it on :cheer: :msn-wink:

I think you guys are coming along at a great pace. I'm sure some judges go by overall turn in appearance since one piece of meat starts to look like another in short time.

You guys will get it figured out - the TQJ will be a force to be reckoned with!

Keep up the good work Team!

DaHorns
05-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Good stuff gtuys!!! Congrats!!

Smokin
05-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Congratulations to Team TQJ. I know there's more good things to come.

SmokyOkie
05-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Here's our scores:

ck 988 867 888 997 898 676

ri 899 887 777 876 777 799

pk 977 777 666 888 866 797

br 888 799 878 899 899 998

Question to all: It appears that we must've cooked winning chicken but hit the wrong judges table as all judges but two scored it great. As I understand it, they drop the lowest score and then add up the rest after weighting.

Should we change the chicken recipe, or should we keep doing it the same and hope for a better judges table?

Likewise with the ribs, it looks like some of the judges liked them. What if anything should we change?

As to the pork, well it got a little OVERCOOKED!

PigCicles
05-26-2008, 05:12 PM
My opinion on the chicken is let it ride one more time to see how it does. Then tweak what you believe might be the weak area. The rib category might be a little tough cuz of the variation between individual likes - maybe a little tweaking but not much. The pork - well it looks like maybe you had some tough judges with 3 high scores and 3 low ones.

Don't over cook your food for judges, just the MOFO's :msn-wink:

Think it through and do what you know needs to be done.

ultramag
05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Better late than never Team TQJ, so..... Congratulations!!! Mike told me the story of how the Okie brisket dominated the comp and took 1st place when he was by this weekend. Very impressive gentlemen.

SmokyOkie
05-27-2008, 10:16 AM
My opinion on the chicken is let it ride one more time to see how it does. Then tweak what you believe might be the weak area. The rib category might be a little tough cuz of the variation between individual likes - maybe a little tweaking but not much. The pork - well it looks like maybe you had some tough judges with 3 high scores and 3 low ones.

Don't over cook your food for judges, just the MOFO's :msn-wink:

we've been doing glazed BBs. Spares are our idea pf real ribs. We've been giving serious thought to doing spare cooked whole, cut to StL, then sauced post cook. We're thinking that there may be some folks that just can't give a BB a 9 and if the spares are done to perfection with a good sauce that even the BB lovers will score them high. Sure would be nice if the Scotsmen would chime in on this.

Think it through and do what you know needs to be done.

Better late than never Team TQJ, so..... Congratulations!!! Mike told me the story of how the Okie brisket dominated the comp and took 1st place when he was by this weekend. Very impressive gentlemen.

Thanks for the kudos Chad. Now why don't you consider joining the TQJ auxillary traveling squad? We could use a good butt man.

PigCicles
05-27-2008, 03:27 PM
They're a bit clanish ya know. Michigan Highlanders even... :roflmaoha0:

ultramag
05-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the kudos Chad. Now why don't you consider joining the TQJ auxillary traveling squad? We could use a good butt man.

Not for me Tim. I've competed in everything from racing, truck pulls, and mud runs to hunting coonhounds and beagles. I have found the competition aspect to be a damn good way to suck every last little bit of fun out of something that I enjoy. I'll keep my smoker in the back yard. :sign0092:

SmokyOkie
05-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I know what you mean. Very similar sentiments myself. I only did the first one cuz i was taking heat from folks saying I couldn't know what good Q was until I did a comp or 2. The first one was such a total disaster that i couldn't quit on that note so I did another figuring that if we placed in the upper 1/2, that would be good enough. Now, after taking first in brisket, it makes me want to go out and show 'em how to cook good ribs. I really don't care about chix or butts, but I'm kinda scared that if I took a 1st place in ribs, I would care about chix.

At any rate, for the most part, we just had a good time. this one was lots more fun than the 1st one, and other than getting a little hectic around turn in time, it was all a good time.

He!! we'd just be proud to have you come down, sit around, drink beer and entertain us! :thumbs up:

BA_LoKo
05-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I know what you mean. Very similar sentiments myself. I only did the first one cuz i was taking heat from folks saying I couldn't know what good Q was until I did a comp or 2. The first one was such a total disaster that i couldn't quit on that note so I did another figuring that if we placed in the upper 1/2, that would be good enough. Now, after taking first in brisket, it makes me want to go out and show 'em how to cook good ribs. I really don't care about chix or butts, but I'm kinda scared that if I took a 1st place in ribs, I would care about chix.

At any rate, for the most part, we just had a good time. this one was lots more fun than the 1st one, and other than getting a little hectic around turn in time, it was all a good time.

He!! we'd just be proud to have you come down, sit around, drink beer and entertain us! :thumbs up:

Lordy, that sounds familiar! Don't believe him!! :smack:

:roflmaoha0:

ultramag
05-28-2008, 05:32 AM

Now that I am willing to do maybe and more than qualified for!!! I could come and be the TQJ :cheer:.

glued2it
05-28-2008, 08:17 AM
I didn't taste the chicken this time so I really can't voice an opinion on them.

I think the butts and the ribs could use some capt Morgans/AJ spritz but not to heavy.
I believe it would give them the sweetness they are lacking.

When I do butts I like to inject them with cider vinegar, AJ and a dash of rub.
I really hate vinegar but with the inject it doesn't give the pork a vinegary taste. It just adds some good flavor and if I didn't know what it was, I couldn't place it.
The combination of the three really set off the flavor and people rave about it.:twocents:

SmokyOkie
05-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Lordy, that sounds familiar! Don't believe him!! :smack:

:roflmaoha0:

Let pony up the truth here brutha LoKo. Truth is you were a fairly gung ho competitor and volunteer on the first comp. I thought you were crazy for wanting to drive halfway across the state twice in order to be there, but you were determined. Were you to join in on a full night's sleep things would've been much different.

BTW-How's your dad doing? (Kev's dad had a double bypass and heart valve replacement surgery last week.)

tonto1117
05-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Congrat's team TQJ!!! :thumbs up: