PDA

View Full Version : Ecb

mwthomas
05-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I decided to try to supercharge a ECB I bought from a guy at work. He had only used it one time and sold it to me for $10.00.
I had an old card table frame that I modified by cutting it down and adding an old piece of plywood I had for a top. I made the door in the side 4” bigger, added a smoke stack and a new temp. gauge. Also I drilled holes in the fire pan to help with air flow. The only thing I had to buy was the smoker, temp. gauge and a can of white paint. The main thing I did was stay out of my wife’s hair a couple of evenings while she was cooking supper. It was fun to modify.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/kaylathomas93/DSCI1038.jpg

PigCicles
05-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Great looking mod. Have you had a chance to try it out yet? How is it mounted to the table? Looking forward to some cool pix from this one!

mwthomas
05-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Great looking mod. Have you had a chance to try it out yet? How is it mounted to the table? Looking forward to some cool pix from this one!

I used angel brackets w/ 1/4" bolts. And no I haven't used yet. We're in "shutdown" at work and that is 7 days aweek for two weeks. They say we will be off for the upcoming holiday, but I wouldn't bet on it. Since Jan.1, 2008 I have had three weekends off and I've burned three of my vacation days. I still have 25 vacation days left. I will do some serious smoking this summer.

TX Sandman
05-16-2008, 09:41 PM
:kewlpics: That is just flat *awesome*! I've seen tables, but never one that swallowed the entire ECB! Can't wait for some action pix!

Florida Bill
05-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Nice looking setup. Just wondering though, will the ECB get hot enough to scorch the table? Good luck with the new rig. Also, it's good that business is so good! Lots of folks would like to have that problem.

flying illini
05-17-2008, 03:24 PM
MW - VERY NICE. I was just thinking about this mod today as my ET-73 fell and hit the cement (again) while adjusting the ECB. I like that larger door, too. It looks better than the factory one.

I was thinking you might run into some heat issues like FL Bill, too.

Hang in there at work. Shut Down can wear on folks.

Nice looking setup. Just wondering though, will the ECB get hot enough to scorch the table? Good luck with the new rig. Also, it's good that business is so good! Lots of folks would like to have that problem.

mwthomas
05-17-2008, 03:40 PM
MW - VERY NICE. I was just thinking about this mod today as my ET-73 fell and hit the cement (again) while adjusting the ECB. I like that larger door, too. It looks better than the factory one.

I was thinking you might run into some heat issues like FL Bill, too.

Hang in there at work. Shut Down can wear on folks.

That is a question I asked myself when I was thinking about the design. If it does it won't matter. The scorch smell will be on the outside. I don't think it will, but if the wood catches fire. I'll take it out of the table and put the legs back on it. I going outside right now and build a fire in it to see what happens. I just got home from work so I don't feel like staying up tonight cooking but, At least we will all know about the scorch question.

Q-N-Brew
05-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Nice set up mw. Be sure to show us some pix of it in action! :thumbs up: Thanks for sharing this with us.

mwthomas
05-18-2008, 03:41 PM
That is a question I asked myself when I was thinking about the design. If it does it won't matter. The scorch smell will be on the outside. I don't think it will, but if the wood catches fire. I'll take it out of the table and put the legs back on it. I going outside right now and build a fire in it to see what happens. I just got home from work so I don't feel like staying up tonight cooking but, At least we will all know about the scorch question.

I looked today to see if any scorching was done last night. The last time I checked the temp was around 7:30. 310 degrees. So after all that -no scorching.

flying illini
05-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the follow-up. I need to get at least a small shelf set up. I could see your table design being best for practical use during a smoke.

Smokin
05-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I decided to try to supercharge a ECB I bought from a guy at work. He had only used it one time and sold it to me for $10.00.
I had an old card table frame that I modified by cutting it down and adding an old piece of plywood I had for a top. I made the door in the side 4” bigger, added a smoke stack and a new temp. gauge. Also I drilled holes in the fire pan to help with air flow. The only thing I had to buy was the smoker, temp. gauge and a can of white paint. The main thing I did was stay out of my wife’s hair a couple of evenings while she was cooking supper. It was fun to modify.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/kaylathomas93/DSCI1038.jpg

I'm sure it's a nice mod. I can't see it since the picture is gone.