PDA

View Full Version : Real Spicy Black Beans

Siesta Man
08-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Made a trip to the Lompoc Valley last June to visit inlaws and ( outlaws ) and to resupply pantry with the local beans.
I use mostly the Pinquito and small Black beans. They included a recipe with the black beans this time and decided to give it a try.:wow::thumbs up: Turned out so good I thought it best to share with you folks.

1--------lb.- ( 2 cups ) Blacks beans.
4 1/2--- cups water
1/4------lb. Bacon ( plus some brisket bark opt. )
5--------cloves garlic, minced
2--------stalks celery, diced
1--------lrg. carrot, peeled and diced
1--------med. onion, diced
1--------lrg. Jalapeno, seeded and minced
1--------Bay leaf
1--------tbl. Chipotle chile powder
1--------tsp. mex. cumin
1/2--1--tbl. cayenne pepper
1/2--3/4-tsp. black pepper
8--------cups chicken broth

Soak beans for 24 hrs, drain and rinse. Cover beans with a generous amount of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 mins. Drain, rinse, and set aside.

Cook bacon until crisp, add garlic, celery, carrot, onion, jalapeno, and bay leaf. Cook until veggies are tender. Add chile powder, cumin, cayenne, and black pepper. Stir about 1 min. Add beans and chicken broth. Cook at a slow boil until beans are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Season with salt, remove bay leaf, and garnish as desired.

I used some fresh chopped onion, cilantro and some asadero grated over the top. Some flour tortillas, a brewskie and your all set. Hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

Also added some brisket bark which really set it off.

E.T.

BYBBQ
08-28-2010, 08:00 AM
That sounds really good. Thanks for the recipe.:thumbs up:

Vermin99
08-28-2010, 09:37 AM
That recipe is really close to a black bean soup I make. Gonna have to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

okie joe
08-28-2010, 12:03 PM
That looks good it is a must try....been looking for something different with black beans. Thanks:sign0092:

SmokyOkie
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
On my list! Thanx E.T.

Siesta Man
08-29-2010, 06:24 AM
Your welcome Tim, Will post the pinquito's recipe later today. E.T.

peculiarmike
08-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Mmmmmmmmm..........
'Em beans, tortillas, cold beer :thumbs up:
Man could founder.

They are fartless aren't they??? :ack2:

Jake
08-29-2010, 01:21 PM
thanks E.T.,i just wish i had a visual :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

and mike :roflmaoha0: