PDA

View Full Version : Spatchkocked Chicken Tutorial

nmayeux
05-10-2008, 05:01 PM
After looking at Fighting Illini's chicken toasting episode, I was thinking of how I have changed my way of cooking chicken over the past few months. In the past, my favorite way to prepare whole chickens has been using the beer can method in my stick burner. However, after being coached by a friend of mine, I have graduated to a method called Spatch****ing, or dispatching the ****.

The first step in this method is to take your whole chicken and remove the spine using kitchen shears. Once this is done, you need to split and remove the keel bone allowing the chicken to lay flat. Taking this one step further, I slice holes in the skin behind the legs allowing the legs to be crossed and held in place. Now all you need to do is season and marinade for a few hours.

nmayeux
05-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Ok, it looks like I have been automatically moderated...:tap: The method is called spatchkocking, with a c instead of a k!

As for marinades, you can use just about anything you like. I usually dust with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, or any manner of spice concoctions. My marinades are usually based in italian dressing mixed with things like worchestershire or teriaki sauces. Just allow to rest for a couple of hours at room temp, and baste frequently. Make sure there is enough so that the bone side is thouroghly coated as well.

I usually like to do a couple of different flavors at on sitting for a little variety!

Once you have given the marinad some time to soak in, its time to put her on the grill. My preference is my Weber kettle with the coals set off to either side. I place an foil pan between the coals with some of the marinade and beer, and place the chickies over the pan. Keep the bottom vents closed and shoot for around 350*-400* by setting the top vent. Cook until the breasts are about 150* in the thickest part. Pull, and allow to rest, and make sure that you save any leftovers for chicken salad.

nmayeux
05-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Lastly, don't forget to enjoy the cooking time with some homebrew! This is probably the most important part of the cook!

flying illini
05-10-2008, 10:31 PM
http://virtualweberbullet.com/butterflychicken.html

Thanks. Good info.

This link helped me figure it out.

Willkat98
05-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't mean to go off topic, as it is extremely rare for me to go off topic, but,,,,

Is it me, or does anyone else find the swear filter for spatching funny in the title, while spatch***** is left alone?

:msn-wink:

Sorry, I can't help it. I'm a 42 yr old kid

PigCicles
05-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah Bill, those filters always seem to kick in when least needed. I'm not going to ask how you spatch***** a chicken though :roflmaoha0:

nmayeux
05-11-2008, 06:46 AM
I don't mean to go off topic, as it is extremely rare for me to go off topic, but,,,,

Is it me, or does anyone else find the swear filter for spatching funny in the title, while spatch***** is left alone?

:msn-wink:

Sorry, I can't help it. I'm a 42 yr old kidI wonder if it works for stop****???

nmayeux
05-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Yep...

Bbq Bubba
05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Spatchpecker......

nmayeux
05-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I guess this thread won't make it to becoming a "sticky!":tap:

Q-N-Brew
05-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Noah, Please check your PM's.

Bbq Bubba
05-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Lmfao.......so sorry....:roflmaoha0:

nascarchuck
05-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Noah, Please check your PM's.

Rut roh...:msn-wink:

TX Sandman
05-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Well, one is a clinical term, while the other is more slang. :msn-wink:

Yeah Bill, those filters always seem to kick in when least needed. I'm not going to ask how you spatch***** a chicken though :roflmaoha0:

Don't wanna know. Something tells me it would violate the "family friendly" rules we got around here. Not to mention most state laws.

tectulsa
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm new here but sometime try putting a preheated foil covered brick or stone on the bird while you grill it. Cooks faster and is juicey. I had read about somewhere. I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table so I tried it. worked well

SmokyOkie
07-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I use a meat press.

nmayeux
07-25-2008, 05:55 PM
I love using my bricks when cooking, but with this application I don't want to cook too fast. It takes a while for the flavor to develop, and this is also why I cook indirectly.