PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Bullet Smoker

O B City
08-26-2010, 01:11 PM
If I need to transport a bullet smoker (Think WSM) on a trailer or in the back of a pickup, what is the best way to do that? Bungee cords? Mod it with some latches on the center section?

cabinetmaker
08-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I carry my drum in the truck all the time. I use a commercial duty black rubber bungee to secure the lid and another to strap it to the bed. Never moved yet.

Joneser
08-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I built a hitch mounted UDS carrier that has a shipping ratcher strap holding it to the carrier. For a WSM, I'd probably take apart the sections and throw it in the trunk or bed of the truck.

O B City
08-26-2010, 03:13 PM
My challenge is that the drum has a flat bottom where the WSM has legs, making the WSM a little top heavy. The drum is also one big piece, where the WSM has a center section that could pop out.

SmokyOkie
08-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Take the center section out and deal with it separately.

Put the lid on the bottom section and run a tarp strap all the way around from top to bottom and back up again, going through the top handle, then strap it in the front corner, or block it in with something that won't move. There is very little air current in the front of most PU beds.
Do the same with the center section, and if possible, put something in the middle of it.

Chargrilled
08-26-2010, 08:56 PM
I built a hitch mounted UDS carrier that has a shipping ratcher strap holding it to the carrier. For a WSM, I'd probably take apart the sections and throw it in the trunk or bed of the truck.

that thing kicks azz, I still wanna buy it!!!!