PDA

View Full Version : Smokehouse idea

KB375
08-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Thinking about building a smokehouse this winter at my camphouse. I have an old barn that is falling down that would supply most of the lumber and thinking about making it 36" square and about 5 or 6 foot tall. Thinking about a UDS style charcoal basket to try to get temps in the 225 range and maybe an offset firebox built of concrete block to do some cold smoking too.

Any suggestions?

PigCicles
08-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Our member cowgirl built a smokehouse and you can view her instructions HERE (http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html). Let us know what you decide and bring us some pics on the build.

Joneser
08-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Joe beat me to it, Jeannie is our resident smokehouse expert.

KB375
08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Yep, I checked her page on it a few weeks ago. Hopefully that project will get off the ground this year. I've got to finish a fence around a food plot to keep the wild hogs out so I can plant corn, chufas, etc. without being torn to shreds before starting on the smokehouse.

SmokyOkie
08-24-2010, 10:03 PM
It better be a darned stout fence if you want to keep the hogs out. Incredible some of the things I've seen 'em tear up.

KB375
08-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Field fencing using telephone poles as corner and pull posts with steel tpost in between. Going to run two strands of electric offset it as well. I've kept them out of millet fields using two strands of electric wire but the upkeep is too much. Dang deer keep getting spooked and running through the electric and tearing it down.

I've been fooling with wild hogs for over 30 years and know first hand what a pain in the @$$ they can be. Especially love mowing behind where they've been rooting.

Joneser
08-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Off the subject....
Are you allowed to trap and kill the wild hogs? I'll bet they are tasty.

KB375
08-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Trap, shoot, catch with dogs and even run them down with my truck if given the chance :D. They are leaner than commercial pork but usually have a good flavor, large boars not included. Occaisionally I will hang one up and cut the loin out if it's cool enough to fool with. Buddy of mine had some sausage made last year that was pretty good.

They are covered in ticks and mites this time of year and there is always the threat of disease like pseudo-rabies and brucellosis when skinning so I usually just give them to some local families when it's cool enough to fool with.

Our last weekend of deer season lst year I killed a doe and three wild hogs that Sat. evening. My little Kubota tractor was quite a sight with the loader bucket full of game.

cowgirl
08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Sounds like the hunting is good in your area. :thumbs up:
Let me know if I can be of any help with the smokehouse. I use the heck out of mine...really like it.

Thanks Joe and Joneser. :)

KB375
08-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks, here's a couple of pics from last year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/kb375/034-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/kb375/November09021-1.jpg

Joneser
08-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Nice Bucks!

smokeaddict
12-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Y'all notice the rub marks on that buck's neck? I hear it was from the dog collar he was wearin....rumor has it that he kept this one tied up to fattin him....somethin smells....Stinky...here!:tap:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

Wazzup KB?? From Da Prez!