PDA

View Full Version : Brown sugar issues? ( Clumps )

BBQ Derek
08-19-2010, 09:41 PM
For a year now I've been making my rub for the home and for family members.

However I will be entering my first bbq comp and I want my rub to be VERY good looking. instead of the basic clumps of brown sugar even after it's been in the food processor for 10 minutes.

So any tips for making the brown clump free besides salt?

SmokyOkie
08-19-2010, 09:55 PM
You need to get the moisture out. Try using light brown or turbinado instead. also, try adding some TCP (tricalcium phosphate) to the mix, at about .5% by weight.

Bear in mind that no one will judge your rub on what it looks like. If it has clumps in it, it won't after you rub the meat.

BBQ Derek
08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
You need to get the moisture out. Try using light brown or turbinado instead. also, try adding some TCP (tricalcium phosphate) to the mix, at about .5% by weight.

Bear in mind that no one will judge your rub on what it looks like. If it has clumps in it, it won't after you rub the meat.If they're like Myron they will though! :)

What do you think about a food dehydrator in a bowl?

SmokyOkie
08-19-2010, 10:15 PM
They can't judge you rub for what it is. They can only judge it for what it does on the meat.

food dehydrator in a bowl???????

BBQ Derek
08-19-2010, 10:25 PM
They can't judge you rub for what it is. They can only judge it for what it does on the meat.

food dehydrator in a bowl???????Yes,

Put the measuring bowl of brown sugar in the dehydrator tray and then set temp and let dry for a day?

SmokyOkie
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Put it in the oven at 200° for an hour and then rin it in the food processor.

BBQ Derek
08-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Put it in the oven at 200° for an hour and then rin it in the food processor.WOW, Nice thanks SmokiOkie.

SmokyOkie
08-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Just get it dry, but don't let it melt or caramelize. stick with light brown too.

BYBBQ
08-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Since Turbino sugar does not have quite the same flavor as brown sugar, another thing you can do is look for free-flowing brown sugar. These sugars are produced by a co-crystallization process. The process yields fine, powder-like brown sugar that is less moist than “regular” brown sugar. Since it is less moist, it does not clump and is free-flowing like white sugar. You can usually find this with the baking products.
I buy Imperial Sugar/Dixie Crystals brand in the local grocery store.

Fatback Joe
08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Put it in the oven at 200° for an hour and then rin it in the food processor.

I do the same, usually 30 to 40 works for what I am looking for.

jerry516planes
08-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Those are great ideas. I have been using raw sugar.

BBQ Derek
08-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Those are great ideas. I have been using raw sugar.Jerry, How do I find Raw sugar?

I've been trying to find cane sugar for years. and it doesn't seem Traverse city isn't too big on rare items such as cane sugar, raw sugar!

BBQ Derek
08-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you everyone for your tips.

My next batch of rub I'll post what I've done.

By the way I'm going to use the smoker at 225.5*F to dry out the brown sugar.

BYBBQ
08-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Turbinado sugar is raw sugar that has been steam cleaned to remove contaminates., leaving a light molasses flavored, tan colored sugar.

jerry516planes
08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Jerry, How do I find Raw sugar?

I've been trying to find cane sugar for years. and it doesn't seem Traverse city isn't too big on rare items such as cane sugar, raw sugar!

Miejers has it. Sugar in the Raw. Same stuff that is listed below, just a term I had never seen before. All I know is that it melts like butter, has a nice flavor that goes well with brown sugar, Carmelizes nice, will take a little more heat than brown sugar. I like how it layers with the other flavors.

Just wondering why the clumping is such a big issue to you?

To me it seems that as long as it melts and spreads evenly then who cares about lumps at that point.

Just saying....

BYBBQ
08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
"Sugar in the Raw" labeling or packaging is Turbino sugar.

BBQ Derek
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Miejers has it. Sugar in the Raw. Same stuff that is listed below, just a term I had never seen before. All I know is that it melts like butter, has a nice flavor that goes well with brown sugar, Carmelizes nice, will take a little more heat than brown sugar. I like how it layers with the other flavors.

Just wondering why the clumping is such a big issue to you?

To me it seems that as long as it melts and spreads evenly then who cares about lumps at that point.

Just saying....It just creates more work when it clumps. Thanks Jerry

"Sugar in the Raw" labeling or packaging is Turbino sugar.Thanks BYBBQ.

I will look for it next time.

SmokyOkie
08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Jerry, How do I find Raw sugar?

Pretty much all the sugar you see is either beet sugar or cane sugar. Cane sugar is very common. All C&H products are cane sugar.

BBQ Derek
08-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Thank you Smokey, I will look again.

Thank you very much for the advice everyone.

Joneser
08-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Like Jim suggested, I know Domino sugar carries "Brownulated" sugar. Doesn't clump.
If you are set with regular brown sugar, put a chunk of white bread in the container the night before you use it. The bread will absorb the moisture.

lazy
10-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Clumps in brown sugar?? I always consider that a candy reward for making my own rub, or baking my own cookies or whatnot. Those lumps are just the right size for popping into my mouth...no matter how big they are. The disappointing times are when there aren't any lumps...

eman
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I have had the same problem. MAKE SURE and DO NOT vacum seal the rub . you end up w/ a block of concrete.
The way i solved my clumping problem was to make up a batch of my rub minus the brown sugar. Just add the sugar to the ammount of rub that you are going to use at the present time.

SmokyOkie
10-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Roast it in the oven at 225 until it changes to a lighter color.

TripleBQ
11-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Roast it in the oven at 225 until it changes to a lighter color.:thumbs up:

EXACTLY < Then you drop it into a food processor and it makes a nice powder

hotdawg
07-16-2011, 03:34 PM
i order rubs often in 5 lb. bags.

i put them in large cheap plastic cannisters from walmart.

then i add a slice of light bread to cannister.

then before use, shake it up.