PDA

View Full Version : Pizza & Dark Ale out in the patio...

Carbon
08-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Not a pretty one but I made white pizza last night topped with mozza, bacony-crispy pepperoni, hot peppers, dried basil, and olive oil.
I had almost the whole pie to myself with a couple of bottles of Black Toad dark ale. The pizza and ale were the bomb! The crispy pepperoni did the trick.

Vermin99
08-16-2010, 12:16 PM
NICE!!!! How long does it take to cook a pizza in that oven?

Carbon
08-16-2010, 12:38 PM
NICE!!!! How long does it take to cook a pizza in that oven?Thanks John. At the temp the oven was running last night (around 700F) I think it took about 4 min.

George

Joneser
08-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh, Man! That looks GREAT! Nice Job!

BBQ Derek
08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Man Carbon,

I for one envy your brick oven.

Nice looking pizza by the way!

SmokyOkie
08-16-2010, 03:02 PM
The pie looks great. I like a rustic pie, and love the pepperoni to be real crisp.

I don't think I'd care for ale made from toads though.:shrug:

gt2003
08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow, That's a PURDY pizza! The woman says when i grow up I can have a pizza oven. Oh well, guess that's something I'll never get, lol! Makes me wanna put the pizza bricks back on the grill!

californiasmokin
08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Nice!

Chargrilled
08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Is that all you cooked on that?? no way!!! after you got that up to temp it would have been screwd to the floor for me not to bake it!!!

how long did it take you to fire that to 700??

PigCicles
08-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Ya know at 4 minutes or so a pie I'd be eatin on em left and right. Kewl oven dude!

Shiz-Nit
08-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Dude that is some dang sweet pies...

peculiarmike
08-16-2010, 09:56 PM
DANG!!! You've got a wood fired pizza oven!!! Sweeeeet!!!!!!
I WANT one.
Been looking at Forno Bravo kits, getting excited.

http://www.fornobravo.com/

See.......
I keep thinking that TV guy will be at Lowe's next time I'm there and come home with me to make over my back yard and deck the way I want it.
:woohoo:

NOT. :D

Bubblehead
08-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Tasty looking beverage and awesome looking pie! Nice work.

brandEn
08-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Wow that looks great! Can you post a pic of your oven setup?

Carbon
08-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Can you post a pic of your oven setup?

Hey, thanks guys! The oven is a fun cooker and very versatile....excellent for low and slow.
And yes, I have a complete build thread on FornoBravo. Here's what the oven looks like. It still needs final stucco and colored sealant added.

SmokyOkie
08-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey, thanks guys! The oven is a fun cooker and very versatile....excellent for low and slow.
And yes, I have a complete build thread on FornoBravo. Here's what the oven looks like. It still needs final stucco and colored sealant added.

I like it the way it is.

How do you regulate the temperatures?

Carbon
08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
How do you regulate the temperatures?

Well, unlike smokers, you can't 'fine tune' the temps. Generally speaking, once the oven is fired to 900F to do pizza, for instance, it will maintain that temp for several hours as long as you have live coals and a small fire at one corner of the oven. Once all fire is out including the coals, the oven, now completely saturated with heat, can retain most of that heat for several days, providing you with enough heat to cook in it for at least a couple of days. It's during this cooling down period that you can bake and do low & slows. When the oven dips to under 300 it can maintain temps between 225 to 275 for half a day or longer without adding an once of fuel, for instance. You can always charge the oven at any point during the cool down period by lighting up a log. If the temp is too high you can leave the insulated door open or partially open to accelerate the cool down process, but that can take time due to the well insulated thermal mass of the oven itself.

Now, if I wanted to fire the oven just to do low and slow I can burn just enough fuel long enough in the oven to reach and maintain 275. The oven will maintain close to that temp for several hours with no added fuel. For smoke, I can keep a wood chunk smoldering in one corner.
Instead of wood, I can also use charcoal briquettes in a small basket set in the corner and use the Minion method.

George

SmokyOkie
08-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Well then, I guess that settles it. I'll have to have one.:shrug:

How do you fire up the logs?

brandEn
08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for posting the pic! I would really love to have one of those. That would be fun to play around with for sure. If you ever sell your home you will probably be the only one on the market that could list a wood fired pizza oven as a selling point.

peculiarmike
08-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Well then, I guess that settles it. I'll have to have one.:shrug:

How do you fire up the logs?

Let me know when it gets there. I'll hook up the big trailer and be down to get Lucille to get her out of the way.

:msn-wink:

It doesn't burn "logs". Check out Forno Bravo's site. I put the link in my post above.

Carbon
08-18-2010, 11:39 AM
It doesn't burn "logs". Check out Forno Bravo's site. I put the link in my post above.

I've been placing small 4 to 6 inch logs at the bottom of the stack during initial fire ups. Once it reaches ideal temp I'll use fruitwood or oak splits to maintain the fire during a cook.

Rumblefish
09-03-2010, 12:22 AM
The pie looks amazing. The beer doesn't look to shabby either.

SmokeN
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Great looking pie and cold one!:eating: :cheers2: Hard to beat a fresh baked pie. Really like the oven!

chef schwantz
09-03-2010, 12:23 PM
You best not give out your address, I would try to fit that in my Pick up. I really want one.