PDA

View Full Version : New project planning

jerry516planes
08-08-2010, 07:33 PM
How tall are these units? I have been wondering what the measurement is from the top of the lower flange to the bottom of the lid?

PigCicles
08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
How tall are these units? I have been wondering what the measurement is from the top of the lower flange to the bottom of the lid?

Okay ... I'll bite. Which units?

jerry516planes
08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
WSM 18 or 22 inch, or Bandit. I have 26" grill and want to build a conversion clone. Just need a little help getting started.

Thanks

O B City
08-08-2010, 11:35 PM
The center section of my Smoke-EZ kettle smoker (similar to a Cajun Bandit) is 15" tall.

jerry516planes
08-09-2010, 12:11 AM
I am glad I asked. I was guessing 24". My designing is leaning towards 28" tall so it would be more like a UDS by with a water pan option when I want to use it. Might not be a bad idea to go with two 15" sections then I would be able to acommodate more flexability.

What do you guys think?

O B City
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM
With one that big, sections is the way to go. The sections will be too heavy to lift off hot by yourself if any bigger. Also if you ever want to get something heavy off the bottom grate, sticking your head down into a hot, smoky 28" tall section is not the way to go in my opinion.

The challenge to multiple sections is keeping everything round, as anywhere you have a seam between two pieces there is a potential air leak. That could cause some inconsistent results each time you stack the sections differently.

SmokyOkie
08-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I would think aluminum would be a good lightweight way to go. If you have access to a good sheet metal shop where they could roll an edge it woul help maintain the roundness.

jerry516planes
08-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I would think aluminum would be a good lightweight way to go. If you have access to a good sheet metal shop where they could roll an edge it woul help maintain the roundness.

That is what I was thinking. I started to build a UDS but $110 for a drum is a little steep and I think for the same money or a little less I can get a tube rolled.

The sheet metal shop I use is just amazing. Prices are reasonable considering what you get.

Just need to get the proportions correct. 28" may be excessive? I just don't know. That is why I started asking questions of people that use these every week end so I can benifit from thier experience.

SmokyOkie
08-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Make a cardboard tube and see how you like the way it fits.

Can you get the ends run through a roller to give them an offset like a Weber center section. That would be central to getting a unit that would keep in round.

I had one made for a Weber rotiss unit years ago. It worked, but it didn;t want to stay in round.

BBQ Derek
08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Dang it, I knew I forgot to do something today.

I was suppose to measure the bandit and give the specs to Jerry.

I'll make it up to him and I'll call Chris personally and ask him the size on the bandit.
I apologize for the delay Jerry!

BBQ Derek
08-12-2010, 03:14 PM
By the way Jerry, if I'm measuring right, its 19 1/4th inches. Jerry!

jerry516planes
08-13-2010, 07:50 AM
By the way Jerry, if I'm measuring right, its 19 1/4th inches. Jerry!

Thanks! Hope things are going well with school!

Chargrilled
08-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Cant wait to see this develope!!

110 bucks fer a drum??? shop around, they are way cheaper than that, although I see want to see your project progress!!!!:msn-wink:

BBQ Derek
08-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks! Hope things are going well with school!School starts on the 28th, so I got a 2 week vacation before it starts, I wish Silverlake bbq started this weekend, :).

But I've finally got all the rigamarow all done with the school, and everyone!

jerry516planes
08-13-2010, 08:41 PM
So Derek if I use that 19.25" for a 22.5" dia and scale to a 26" dia then I will get 22.25". That is a place to start the design. I will verify that against my 22.5" (55 gallon) UDS. I like how it works and we will have a proto type. That should give me room for 2 grates, water pan, and charcoal tray.

Anyone using three grates?

Does any one use thier second grate?

I started with a brinkman (Cajun) water smoker 10 years ago. It worked kind of?? :moon: One hole in the bottom of the charcoal pan, open bottom cooker, waterpan too small, and a leaky side door. Max burn time was 5 hours and a rather labor intensive at that.:tap:

This one should run circles around that benchmark. :woohoo:

BBQ Derek
08-13-2010, 09:11 PM
So Derek if I use that 19.25" for a 22.5" dia and scale to a 26" dia then I will get 22.25". That is a place to start the design. I will verify that against my 22.5" (55 gallon) UDS. I like how it works and we will have a proto type. That should give me room for 2 grates, water pan, and charcoal tray.

Anyone using three grates?

Does any one use thier second grate?

I started with a brinkman (Cajun) water smoker 10 years ago. It worked kind of?? :moon: One hole in the bottom of the charcoal pan, open bottom cooker, waterpan too small, and a leaky side door. Max burn time was 5 hours and a rather labor intensive at that.:tap:

This one should run circles around that benchmark. :woohoo:Very cool, Let me know when you start on it.

So I can see you're progress!

jerry516planes
08-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks!

We, Timbo and I are building a couple of drums. I am building one for one of the guys in my office and Timbo is building one for himself. I am building a 30 gallon for myself and that one just needs finishing touches. I will be using the 30 gallon at Silver Lake and in Valpo.

The 26"ers are the next project on the list. Hope to have one done by Silverlake. I am looking to trade for a single jet ski trailer.

Chargrilled
08-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks!

I will be using the 30 gallon at Silver Lake and in Valpo.

Cant wait to see it!!!:thumbs up: