PDA

View Full Version : venison backstrap and roast

lazy
07-20-2010, 03:02 PM
As I was trying to slip out of work early Monday evening, one of my buddies grabbed me and said "Wait--I almost forgot to give you this", and handed me a little cooler containing 2 frozen (thankfully) chunks of meat.

I had previously offered to try smoking some of his venison if he was interested. I guess he's interested, as I now possess a piece of backstrap (?) and a roast off the upper part of a hind leg. I'm not a hunter (nothing against those who do), and what little I know about cuts of meat I've learned here in the last year or so.

Since they were frozen in ziplok bags, I took them home and vacuum packed them, then put them (still in the cooler) into the fridge. I'm figuring being frozen, in the cooler, in the fridge, should allow them to thaw slowly while I'm out of town.

NOW--what the heck do I do with them when I get home? Rub & smoke like a beef roast? Anything special to do with the backstrap? What the heck is backstrap? Does venison need special handling?

I'll be checking in ocassionally while on vacation, so please add your two cents in here and I'll respond when I get to a computer.

Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

cowgirl
07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Great gift! :)
Backstrap is the back loin..runs on either side of the spine.
Venison is very lean... if I were you, I'd cut the backstrap into steaks. They are great on the grill. I cut about 2" or bigger sections of backstrap, then make a cut down the middle of the steak (not cutting all the way through)..then open the steaks and press to lay flat. (butterfly them open).

When I do roasts, shoulders or hind quarters.... I like to use a marinade, or drape with bacon. They are best (in my opinion) when not overcooked.

Just some suggestions....

chef schwantz
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
:whathesaid:No more that medium rare. Most of the reason many dislike venison is becuase the one time they have had it, it was an old nasty stinky rutting buck, which somebody cooked the snot out of to the point it was a dry tough gamey pile of crap.

SmokyOkie
07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Great gift! :)
Backstrap is the back loin..runs on either side of the spine.
Venison is very lean... if I were you, I'd cut the backstrap into steaks. They are great on the grill. I cut about 2" or bigger sections of backstrap, then make a cut down the middle of the steak (not cutting all the way through)..then open the steaks and press to lay flat. (butterfly them open).

When I do roasts, shoulders or hind quarters.... I like to use a marinade, or drape with bacon. They are best (in my opinion) when not overcooked.

Just some suggestions....

Backstrap is the loin eye, pretty much the same cut as the boneless pork loin you buy at Sam's. I like to cut it into 4" chunks and butterfly like Jeannie said. I just like the steaks thicker (maybe cuz I am thicker?), then I wrap them with bacon. think like filet mignon.

the ham, I like to drape with bacon and roast ( with, or without smoke) then foil once it barks. It is very lean and tight grained, but is good cooked kinda like pot roast as long as you foil it in time and keep it moist.