PDA

View Full Version : Pork Loin, Fattys, Bologna

peculiarmike
04-27-2008, 10:33 PM
We had a weekend camping trip to Pomme de Terre Lake planned with the neighbors. Two things blew those plans away - neighbor's uncle passed & general nasty rainy windy cooler weather. However, Saturday was decent here, in the 60's. So I smoked the stuff we had planned to smoke at the lake, and actually got my yard mowed, a GOOD thing. Figured I might have to call a custom baler in soon.
Smoked an 8 lb. pork loin, two hunksa baloney I picked up last trip to the Okie Ranch at Tulsa, and three JD Regular fattys. Smoked it all on the SDS drum with hickory. Folks, I LIKE THAT DRUM.
I cut the loin in half, painted half with a mix of 2 tablespoons EVOO mixed with two tablespoons of dijon mustard, then sprinkled with kosher salt and a good bit of fresh cracked black pepper. I painted the other half with the remaining mustard/EVOO mix and then applied a good coat of rub.
The drum was running at 245 F when they went on. I smoked them to 145 F. Pulled both and wrapped in HD foil. The one with the rub got a heavy coating of 1/4 cup Cattleman's BBQ Sauce mixed with 1/4 cup honey. The other got a heavy spritz of apple juice mixed with Capt. Morgan's Spiced Rum. Wrapped both halves in towels and into a cooler where they rested about 2 hours.
This was the BEST loin I've smoked in a while! Really moist. Great flavor. Both styles were a hit.
The baloney was super! I sliced it and served with sliced smoked cheddar & crackers. That went quick.
Made one of the fattys into fatty breakfast burritos for breakfast this morning. One of my favorites!
Didn't get as many pics as I wanted. But here are some.
All in all -Good stuff Maynard!

TX Sandman
04-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Good stuff, Mike! So far, Cattleman's has been *very* disappointing for me, but maybe I can finish it up with something like that. Everything looks *wonderful*, even the cheese-n-crackers!

My sympathies to your neighbor.

glued2it
04-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Lookin good mike! Great job all the way around:thumbs up:
I love that boloney and yes fatty breakfast buritos are da chit!
glad to see the drum is really working out for ya.

PigCicles
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Good lookin groceries Mike! It's amazing what the smoke does for boloney. The last loin I did is still in the freezer waiting to be eaten. Thanks for sharing the pix buster.

Richoso1
04-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Ah Boloney... congrats on a good lookin' smoke and thanks for the Q View.that's my next smoke when I get back from a 3-day weekend. I need a break... and I mean out of town.