PDA

View Full Version : Pizza EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!! Just too hot?

gt2003
07-12-2010, 09:27 AM
OK, I jumped on the pizza bandwagon and immediately fell off..... The dough recipe from shiz nit was great, went smoothly. I did ok with forming the dough and making the pizza. I had the stone cookie sheet on the smoker for about an hour prior to putting the pizza on it. I had the pizza on parchment paper and slid it, parchment paper and all, onto the stoneware cookie sheet (pampered chef, stoneware cookie sheet, very thin). The stoneware was elevated above the rack by 3 bricks. I immediately heard the pan crack, argh! The grill was at 525 degrees and i cooked for 12 minutes, no peeking ( I think that was the problem ). So, here are the results, give me your opinions. I took the day off work and am going to try it again later today.

Real quickly, If I wrap the bricks in foil, could I use them as a temporary baking stone and slide the pizza right on top of them with the parchment in between? I've got literally probably a ton of bricks at my disposal.

Dough resting
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/gt2003/Pizza%20EPIC%20FAIL/pizza047.jpg

Sauced
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/gt2003/Pizza%20EPIC%20FAIL/pizza048.jpg

Built - pepperoni, carmelized onions, roma tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/gt2003/Pizza%20EPIC%20FAIL/pizza050.jpg

Burnt top
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/gt2003/Pizza%20EPIC%20FAIL/pizza051.jpg

Burnt bottom
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/gt2003/Pizza%20EPIC%20FAIL/pizza052.jpg

chef schwantz
07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Time and Temp are inversely proportional when it comes to pizza. Raise one, you need to lower the other. I'm guessing 3-4 minutes less at the same temp will give you the results you are looking for. If you are cooking on parchment, don't even worry about covering the bricks in foil, just make sure they are clean and dry. Maybe even put a piece of sheet metal over the top of them. Good luck.

gt2003
07-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I thought about peeking but kept thinking of the original post where shiz nit did his for 12 minutes. I'll repeat today but start peeking at about 6 minutes. This ought to be a good one.

Sorry for the poor pics. My Boxer got a hold of my newer digital camera so I'm relying on my very, very old HP 1 MP camera!

BYBBQ
07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
You could do them on the bricks without a stone. I would still wrap them, just makes it cleaner.

One word of caution about using bricks. It's best to use fire brick in a grill. Reg type bricks can crack or even explode when exposed to the high prolonged heat of cooking in a grill.

Vermin99
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
One of the benefits of cooking pizza on a Weber with it raised on bricks is I can peek at the pizza by looking through the exhaust vent. I hope you get it figured out, you'll be greatly rewarded for it.

gt2003
07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I'll get it figured out here in a few hours. I'm ready to give it another shot! Pics will follow

Joneser
07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Ouch!
Takes a real man to show his mistakes, Greg. Way to go!
I have yet to try pizza, so I really can't offer any insight. :D

gt2003
07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
LMAO! It's all about learning Joneser! I've got a batch of dough rising right now. Fires on and pizza should be being built in about 30 minutes. I think I need a beer run real quick tho!

BigAL
07-12-2010, 01:09 PM
BTDT! You'll get it! Keep at it, it's worth it. :thumbs up:

My first, was frozen, ended up look'n like a man hole cover, no joke. Last one wasn't much better, but we could at least eat it.:roflmaoha0:

Good luck! :thumbs up:

cabinetmaker
07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I've done about a dozen and finally got one last week that Angela would eat. :roflmaoha0:

californiasmokin
07-12-2010, 05:14 PM
When I use fresh dough I keep the toppings light and pre cook the meats.

PigCicles
07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Ya know we see so many excellent posts of awesome food. To see a mishap every now and then is great. We all have failures. I haven't toasted a pizza, but I totally ruined a pan of baked beans and the pan they were in (:roflmaoha0: the wife's pan no less) I may have gotten the look and a few words outta that one.

Thanks for sharing your learning curve with us.

gt2003
07-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Ya know we see so many excellent posts of awesome food. To see a mishap every now and then is great. We all have failures. I haven't toasted a pizza, but I totally ruined a pan of baked beans and the pan they were in (:roflmaoha0: the wife's pan no less) I may have gotten the look and a few words outta that one.

Thanks for sharing your learning curve with us.

Not a problem lol! I had a lightbulb moment the other day and thought I could always put the pizza on the bricks for a few minutes with the grill cover open then close the cover for the remaining few minutes. I'm making 2 more tonight and will try the usual method at a lower temp (400ish) first then, based on those results, consider my lightbulb moment above. Pics to follow.