PDA

View Full Version : Habanero sauce

O B City
07-11-2010, 11:45 AM
You can make your own habanero sauce, and use it to spark some life in to commercial grocery store grade sauces like Sweet Baby Rays, KC Masterpiece, or even Kraft. I make this in smallish batches, and freeze in an ice cube tray.

I am sortof a wussy when it comes to heat so you might want to adjust up the peppers a bit, but don't do it on your first batch. Always wear rubber gloves when handling Habaneros. I started with a recipe at Diana's Kitchen (http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/sauce/habanero.htm) and toned it down to suit my family's tastes.

2 habanero peppers, stems removed, seeds and mebranes removed, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced or 2 Tbsp powder
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup lime or lemon juice
1/4 cup Mirin cooking wine

Saute the onion and garlic in pan until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft, adding water if necessary. Don't let it dry out, but don't have the stuff floating either.
Drain off any excess water, then place the mixture and seeded raw chiles into a blender and puree until smooth. Don't cook the peppers, since cooking reduces the flavor of Habaneros. Combine the puree with vinegar, cooking wine and citrus juice, and place into ice cube tray. Any time you want to "fix" a bottle of commercial sauce drop a cube in it and mix well. You can even drop a cube into potato salad if all of your guests like zing.

PigCicles
07-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Interesting OB. I'm always looking for some zing heat and this one is a must try to change things up a bit. Thanks for sharing.

tomshoots
07-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I love habanero flavor, but they can be pretty mean. So I like habanero sauce added to a red pepper sauce like Cajun Chef. The cayenne goes nicely with habanero.

O B City
07-12-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't have any experience with Cajun Chef, but even though my recipe takes Diana's 12 habaneros down to 2, this is still dang hot for my taste. But, added to another sauce at a ratio of 20:1 I like it a lot! And the convenience of having it in ice cube form to save for later really appeals to me, I only have to make a batch about every three months.

I just edited the recipe, as I forgot to say that the habaneros need the seeds and membranes removed.