PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Meat Loaf Recipe for DO

Gunswinger
04-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Hope you like this one. I enjoyed it. It would be great with some home made salsa with a little lime juice.

1 lb Breakfast sausage, regular or hot.
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion chopped well
2 eggs
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes drained well
bread crumbs as needed
1tbsp Cummin
1tbsp Chilli powder
1tbsp 6 pepper flakes
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp table salt

Mix well adding bread crumbs to produce a dense meatloaf. Place in 10 inch dutch oven that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until almost done. (bake 350)

While that is cooking mix two boxes of cornbread mix according to instructions on box then add the following.

1 small onion chopped fine
1 can creamed corn
2 medium jalapenoes seeded and chopped fine.

Mix well.

Remove meat from heat. Carefully drain off any liquid. Pour cornbread mixture over the top of the meat and return to heat for approximately 20 minutes. Watch this carefully, check for doneness with a tooth pick.

When I drained the meat loaf I took it out of the dutch oven and poured the oils out of the dutch oven holding it with my heavy gloves, I replaced the meat then added the cornbread mixture. I placed most of the coals on top for the cornbread to bake. I also could not find the bread crumbs and I used saltine crackers crumbled instead. Got to make do with what you got. You can vary the spices to your taste. Some like it hot and some like it with a little more seasoning. I will make this again soon and will take pictures for everyone. Unless you make it and want to post the pictures. That would be great with me. Hope I didn't leave any thing out. My first time posting a recipe. My wife and I enjoyed this with a nice salad. If you make this and got any suggestions on variations let me know. Thanks!

TX Sandman
04-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Looks good to me! Pix will make it even better, though. :msn-wink:

I've got this copied for a trial run when I actually get a DO. I may have to tone down the spice a bit for my kids, though.

Thanks for the great recipe, Gunny!

Richoso1
04-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a good time was had by all. Nice recipe too.

peculiarmike
04-25-2008, 10:32 AM
OK. That tore it! I'm trying it! Great DO recipe.
Looks really tasty on paper, bet it's a lot better in person. :thumbs up:

And another thing -
So, howbout smoke it, then finish with the cornbread in the oven? We'll see. Always looking for another angle.

Gunswinger
04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I am like you always looking for a way to make it different and better. I bet there are a hundred different ways of making this same dish. Let us know how you change it and how it comes out. Once I figure out how to post pictures I am going to post a couple more recipes. Sandman! This could be made in a loaf pan in the oven if you wanted to. One more thing a rack to keep the meat up a little in the pan would keep it from getting a little greasey.

SmokyOkie
04-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I am like you always looking for a way to make it different and better. I bet there are a hundred different ways of making this same dish. Let us know how you change it and how it comes out. Once I figure out how to post pictures I am going to post a couple more recipes. Sandman! This could be made in a loaf pan in the oven if you wanted to. One more thing a rack to keep the meat up a little in the pan would keep it from getting a little greasey.

Gotta have pix, or as Bubba says, "It didn't happen"

Check this out:
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?p=684#post684