PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed Tomatoes

Skinny Cook
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Stuffed Tomatoes
I know, the Tomato is a fruit,,,but hey who cares.

Ingredients:4 oz Seasoned Croutons
4 oz White Cheddar Cheeze its
1 lb Mozzerella Cheese
1/2 lb Smoked Gouda
1/4 lb Havarti
1/4 lb Baby Swiss
1/4 lb Pepper Jack
1 tub Herb flavored Cream Cheese
12 BIG Roma Tomatoes
1 cup Parm/Romano grated cheese
1 Minced Onion
2 Minced Bell Peppers (Anything but Green)
2 Minced Garlic Cloves
1 pint Half & Half or Heavy Cream
1 stick Butter
1 t Cayenne Pepper

Cooking Instructions:Sautee Minced Onions, Minced Garlic, Minced Peppers until soft, set aside. Smash Croutons and White Cheddar crackers until they are very small pieces(I do this in a hand towel to keep down the mess)and set aside. Dice, Shred, or cut up all the Cheeses to very small pieces. Put them into a Microwave bowl (except for Parm/Romano) and melt but do not boil them. Stir every 2 min until liquid. Once liquid add Cream, Veggies, crumb mixture, spices and set aside(add enough (Liquid)Cream to reach a loose Putty consistancy). Next slice off just enough bottom to make the tomatoe stand up, next top it like a Pumpkin and scoop out the inside. Fill them with the hot liquid cheese, dust the top with Parm/Romano and broil them until brown and bubbling. Be careful not to burn as it won't take long.

Serving Suggestions:I serve these with any kind of Fish or Baked Chicken.

Additional Comments:IF you boil the Cheeses it will make the mixture grainy in consistancy. Just heat the cheeses to their melting point and they will be perfect. Any kind of cheeses can be made to work with this dish. I added a meat to this mixture and it works well but you have to be careful not to overpower the taste of the cheeses. Also when cooking try using a muffin pan to hold them, it is alot easier than trying to do it on a baking sheet.
Prep time is faster if you use pre-shredded cheeses. I like block cheeses better.
*** You can leave out the Tomatoes, add more Cream and make an awesome soup with this recipe. Mmmmmm :drooling: