PDA

View Full Version : Fried Green Tomatoes

Skinny Cook
07-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Ahh one of my fav dishes of all times and the reason I never have any ripe tomatoes. http://www.nchuntnfish.com/forum/images/smiles/thumbsup.gif

I use a gallon plastic bag and dump all the dry ingredients in except the salt. Shake and wala they be ready to fry.

4 med size green tomatoes sliced 1/2" thick(or 1/4" if you like them fried like potato chips)
2 cups self rise flour or KY Colonel seasoned flour
1 tbl cayenne
1 tsp sea salt
2 cups Olive Oil
1 lg cast iron skillet

Heat on med-high till oil is moving around or the temp is 365 degrees.
Shake up 6 or 7 slices at a time and lay in the oil. Be sure to drop or lay them away from you incase the oil splashes. Leave for about 5min on one side then turn over and do the other side for about 4 min. ( 4min & 3min for 1/4 in slices). Place on a paper towel to soak off extra oil. LIGHTLY sprinkle on salt as you lay them out to drain.

Why do I not use an egg/milk wash ?? Several reasons.

1. The raised batter soaks up oil like a sponge.
2. The left overs can be set on the stove till dinner. IF I had used eggs/milk in the recipe that wouldn't be possible.
3. I do not like oooo much of a dough type taste. Ittakes away from the mater flavor.
4. IF you are cooking these while camping, there are no needs for carrying anything other than a skillet, oil, and the dry ingrediants. No refridgeration needed.

OHHH,,,IF you know that you are making these ahead of time, mix up extra flour in the bag, then filet your fresh caught fish and use the flour mix for the fillets after you fry the maters.

Green Maters, Fried Fish, Fried Taters & Onions for camp breakfast is pretty frickin awesome !!!! :thumbs up:

Vermin99
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
One of my favorite sides too.