Skinny Cook
07-02-2010, 07:37 PM
1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.)cut into steaks
1/2 cup Ky Colonel flour
1/4 cup regular cornmeal
1/4 cup smashed Saltines
1/2 cup whole milk
1 egg scrambled
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
Dash black pepper
Dash Cayenne (optional)

Mix and sift dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg. Dip meat in liquid.
Next roll meat in dry ingredients. Fry, uncovered, in 365 degree oil until brown.
It sorta tastes like chicken,,,sorta, kinda, maybe. :roflmaoha0:

BigAL
07-02-2010, 07:46 PM
That is one thing I've killed plenty of and have never eaten. Guess I've never been that hungry.:D When I kill'em, I'll send them to ya. Send back fish, shellfish. Fair trade?:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

No pix, never happened.:msn-wink::misbehaving:

Vermin99
07-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I wonder if I can find Snake at the meat market. I have never looked, never had a reason to before.

fatbastard
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Sounds goooood. It's been a long time since I cooked one, but I can remember the taste and texture better than anything else I ate that long ago. Rattlesnake is tasty for sure.:thumbs up:

peculiarmike
07-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Ummmmm.......... I saw a gartersnake yesterday while mowing, bout a foot and a half.
Not many rattlers around here.
Copperhead now & then. Big ol' blacksnake.
I don't kill snakes though, they are just doing their business and I leave them alone. They do a lot of good.

SmokyOkie
07-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I love fried rattlesnake. We used to hunt them when I live up in Wyoming. More often than not, we would clean them, wrap them in foil with onion and butter and lemon just like the trout we caught and then toss them in the camp fire till they sizzled.

It's just good meat. Thanx for spurring the goos memories.

That is one thing I've killed plenty of and have never eaten. Guess I've never been that hungry.:D When I kill'em, I'll send them to ya. Send back fish, shellfish. Fair trade?:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

No pix, never happened.:msn-wink::misbehaving:

I'll take 'em if he doesn't want them

Ummmmm.......... I saw a gartersnake yesterday while mowing, bout a foot and a half.
Not many rattlers around here.
Copperhead now & then. Big ol' blacksnake.
I don't kill snakes though, they are just doing their business and I leave them alone. They do a lot of good.

Just little velvet tails up there I imagine. Nuthin big enough to be worth cleaning.

chadd17
07-02-2010, 10:52 PM
I used to go to Waynoka and hunt them. Lots of rattlers in OK. Good eatin for sure. :eating:

cabinetmaker
07-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I used to go to Waynoka and hunt them. Lots of rattlers in OK. Good eatin for sure. :eating:
Thats where I had my first and only. It was very good. I'd like to try it again someday.

cowgirl
07-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I like them fried too.. to me they taste like a cross between chicken and frog legs.

bbqbull
07-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Seriously, you eat them things?

SmokyOkie
07-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I like them fried too.. to me they taste like a cross between chicken and frog legs.

Good description. Do you go to the Waynoka round up?

MMMMMMMMMMMM you just don't know.:eating::eating:

chadd17
07-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Every chance I get!:D

Bubblehead
07-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Haven't had rattler in many years, it's just not something we get out here. I like them though.......on my plate, not out and about.

pentail
07-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Garter snakes do not taste good. Don't ask how I know, just take my word on it

SmokyOkie
07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Garter snakes do not taste good. Don't ask how I know, just take my word on it

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

The smell they put off when you handle them gave me a clue.

Skinny Cook
07-05-2010, 02:57 PM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

The smell they put off when you handle them gave me a clue.

Once you get past the smell, you got it licked. :roflmaoha0:

Shiz-Nit
07-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Once you get past the smell, you got it licked. :roflmaoha0:

Ahh :exasper:

But I do like me some rattle snake also. My grandaddy used to fry them in cajun spices and serve with fried green maters.

tomshoots
07-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Never had, but want to try. We get our share of snakes around here, but no rattlers.

Geek with Fire
07-15-2010, 10:21 PM
We've got rattlers around here, but my problem is, the way I kill them, you'd only be able to have soup with what's left. 12 gauge is really hard on 'em.

tomshoots
07-16-2010, 06:11 AM
We've got rattlers around here, but my problem is, the way I kill them, you'd only be able to have soup with what's left. 12 gauge is really hard on 'em.

We used to see many of them where we lived in Fla. 12 gauge was my policy as well.:roflmaoha0:

Skinny Cook
07-16-2010, 07:10 PM

I used a Browning Buckmark .22 on mine. Worked perfect.

SmokyOkie
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Do you guys have the big rattles up there, or just the little velvet tails and timber rattelrs?

We have a few diamondbacks here, but only in the really rocky areas.