PDA

View Full Version : First cook in the new DO

fatbastard
06-20-2010, 01:57 AM
I am going to go ahead and call it a success. It's only store bought can-o-biscuits, but everybody has to start somewhere huh?
Father's day came a little bit early. I picked up a deep 12". It was obvious about 1/2 way through that I needed more heat on top because of the depth. I was told this when I purchased it, but wanted to be sure. Added 4 more coals to the lid, and the tops browned up nice.
On the menu for tomorrow, venison stew, more biscuits (not canned), and pumpkin cobbler.
Thanks for the tips, recipes, and knowledge of everybody here. On to the pics.

BYBBQ
06-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Great job on the first cook in the DO. :thumbs up:

We'll be wanting to see the pics of the stew and cobbler.:msn-wink:

californiasmokin
06-20-2010, 07:22 AM
I could think of some ways to dispose of those for you!:roflmaoha0:

GaryleeDaniels
06-20-2010, 08:30 AM
:tap:I want some:eating:

PigCicles
06-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Great start! Those whop biscuits (peel the paper off the label and whop it on the couter)do just fine. I keep tellin myself I'm gonna get into the DO cookin, just never do.

Thanks for sharing your start with us.

Vermin99
06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Great job on the biscuits.

I keep tellin myself I'm gonna get into the DO cookin, just never do.

Me too.

TX Sandman
06-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Me three. Maybe I'll treat myself to a DO for Father's Day.

Looks like you're off and running, FB. We'll be waiting for the stew and cobbler pics.

Fatboy
06-20-2010, 04:08 PM
While I would like to welcome Mr. Bastard with open arms, I would also like to remind everyone who the true FB is around here. Kindly refer to Mr Bastard as "other FB"

Thank you.

O B City
06-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Great start!

There is a Picture posting tutorial thread (http://72.167.135.4/forum/showthread.php?t=2647) you should read, so that your pics are inline with the message instead of thumbnails.

Cheers

SmokyOkie
06-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Perhaps someday, if you are very, very lucky, Mrs. Buzzard's Roost will share her biscuit recipe with you.

They are so light that they float up out of the DO when they are done.:msn-wink:

peculiarmike
06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Brother Okie, Ruby's bizkits come in a box. There ain't no recipe.

And Fatboy, there is a LOT of difference between a FATBOY and a FAT BASTARD. Don't worry. We'll know one from the other. :roflmaoha0:

NOW, back to DO cookin' - Ya gotta start some place and you are on your way now! Keep us posted on your cooks. I'm getting into it myself. :D

fatbastard
06-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Great start!

There is a Picture posting tutorial thread (http://72.167.135.4/forum/showthread.php?t=2647) you should read, so that your pics are inline with the message instead of thumbnails.

Cheers

I don't have a photobucket or imageshack or anything of the sort. Maybe in the near future. Would it help if re sized them before the upload? I guess we are about to find out.

fatbastard
06-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Today was a windy sumbich in the old pueblo. I had to throw a ton of coals at it, even with my patio paver wind break. All I managed to cook today was the venison stew.
First, the bad news. I used too much water. I knew that cookin in the DO would not release as much water as other methods, but I just got too much in it too early. It only took a wee bit of cornstarch to cure it, but I will know for sure next time. I also went just a tad heavy on the herbs. All I had was chicken bullion, so that is what I used. Beef bullion may have helped with the color.
The good news is it was fantastic eatin. The venison was steaks that I cubed, so they were good cuts to start with. When I bit into the first peice, I got a great burst of flavor and it was super tender. The veggies were all cooked perfectly as well. Nothing was mushy, and everything had its own taste.
I do not have a sophisticated pallet by any means, but I give it a strong "B-"

PigCicles
06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Looks like you figured out how to post pics with the forum. Nice job on the stew. That is some awesome looking stuff. Thanks for sharing your DO cooking with us. Keep it up and I'll be getting practicing with ya.

SmokyOkie
06-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Brother Okie, Ruby's bizkits come in a box. There ain't no recipe.

I made the ones we ate at the Grand lake gathering. The beginnings of Ruby's bisuits come in a box ( flour and baking powder), but there is a recipe.

I don't have a photobucket or imageshack or anything of the sort. Maybe in the near future. Would it help if re sized them before the upload? I guess we are about to find out.

Get a Photobucket acct. They are free and they are about the best way there is to store pix.

cowgirl
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Congratulations on the new DO! Good looking food too. :thumbs up: