PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Jr's Beans

TX Sandman
06-14-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm a big fan of Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408). One night I was going to make beans for a side for burgers and had the ingredients from a failed meal attempt earlier that month. I didn't want to make the full amount for just us, so I decided to play a bit with the recipe to get a little more sweet, a little less heat, and have something I could make on the stove.

----------
Dutch Jr's Beans

1 tbsp veg oil
1 shallot, finely minced
1/2 bell pepper, cored and finely diced
28 oz can Bush's Baked Beans ( I used the original flavor)
4 oz bag real bacon bits
8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp ground mustard
1 tsp liquid smoke*

1. Heat a pot or pan big enough to cook the beans. Add the oil and saute the shallot and pepper until soft.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes or so to allow the flavors to meld, stirring frequently. (I simmered about 45 minutes and they came out very thick.)

*If you decide to cook these on a smoker, you can skip the liquid smoke and get the real stuff.

These were a little sweeter than the original recipe, but not by much. The kids loved them, and I thought they were very good. My wife thought there was "too much stuff" in the final product, enough that she felt they could almost be a meal in themselves. Me, I did make a meal of them later and had no regrets. Later we diluted these beans with another can of Bush's beans and they were more to my wife's liking. I'd make 'em again as is for me and add jalapenos, or maybe a habanero, to the batch.

BYBBQ
06-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Those sound good. Thanks for the recipe.:thumbs up:

smokinok
06-15-2010, 07:04 AM
:sign0092: for sharing the recipe with us. Sounds like it will be just right for my taste buds..............I love "BEANS" :thumbs up:

Joneser
06-15-2010, 09:16 AM
I love the sweet heat of those beans!
Thanks for sharing the recipe!

SmokyOkie
06-15-2010, 09:30 AM
For those that want all the jalapeņo flavor with reduced heat, I cam e across these:

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SmokyOkie/SmokyOkie2009/mezzettajaps.jpg

They have a great jalapeņo flavor but absolutely no heat.

I think they would be good blended with full strength peppers to attain the perfect heat level.

Now me, I kinda like a little zing.

Thanx for sharing Rob.

Vermin99
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Sounds like they would taste great.

PigCicles
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Sounds super good to me Rob. I'll have to give your recipe a shot. Thanks for sharing buster:thumbs up: