PDA

View Full Version : Pig Candy

Florida Bill
04-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Smokers,
I really hate to show my ignorance but I've got to ask ..... what's Pig Candy and how do you make it. I've seen it mentioned several times and even a nice picture in Tim's post but I have to admit that I don't know what it is ..... help?

TX Sandman
04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Pig candy is basically bacon coated with brown sugar and a little red pepper and smoked until the sugar has caramelized.

Here's a thread with a good description:
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372

PigCicles
04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
You know, I've never had pig candy. Just doesn't seem to go together to me. I'm sure once I had a taste I'd be hooked. Just never had the urge to conjure some up.

Maybe I will some time soon.

BlazerQue
04-17-2008, 03:51 PM
What is pig candy?

It's a wonderful treat for your taste buds. You owe it to yourself to try it.

SmokyOkie
04-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Just lay out the bacon, sprinkle brown sugar on it, stack the slices back on top of each other, flip and repeat. I also like to sprinkle some of my home ground chili powder on as well. Ground New Mexico chili pepper is good as well. if you don't like the heat, you could put spices or something else on as well. Basically its the sugar on the bacon that makes it good, whatever else you add is your own personal recipe. And be sure to share if you come across anything special.

BTW, Joe, come see us again, and I'll addict you to the candy.

peculiarmike
04-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Just lay out the bacon, sprinkle brown sugar on it, stack the slices back on top of each other, flip and repeat. I also like to sprinkle some of my home ground chili powder on as well. Ground New Mexico chili pepper is good as well. if you don't like the heat, you could put spices or something else on as well. Basically its the sugar on the bacon that makes it good, whatever else you add is your own personal recipe. And be sure to share if you come across anything special.

BTW, Joe, come see us again, and I'll addict you to the candy.

Watch him Joe. It's like drugs - the first one is always free. :drooling:

Willkat98
04-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Be careful

My first attempt had less than stellar results. Too much smoke. Tasted like you were chewing fire wood.

I might try strawberry flavor next time like THIS RECIPE (http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1442&dc=GDC0907)

Florida Bill
04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks Guys,
I'll definitely give it a try. Sounds really good but I think I'll stay away from the strawberry flavored ones.

Willkat98
04-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Also,

Be careful on the cayenne pepper.

Or better yet, know your audience!

8 yr old loves bacon. She hated pig candy. Too hot.

15 yr old is not a bacon fan, but loved the pig candy. Liked the sweet zippy after taste

SmokyOkie
04-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Be careful

My first attempt had less than stellar results. Too much smoke. Tasted like you were chewing fire wood.

I might try strawberry flavor next time like THIS RECIPE (http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1442&dc=GDC0907)

How much time do you have to spend online to come up with all the wacky stuff you post?:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Also,

Be careful on the cayenne pepper.

Or better yet, know your audience!

8 yr old loves bacon. She hated pig candy. Too hot.

15 yr old is not a bacon fan, but loved the pig candy. Liked the sweet zippy after taste

I don't use cayenne, I use ground pasilla, chipotle and New Mexico chilis. I like long on the pepper flavor and not so long on the heat. You can buy dried chilies in many varieties in the grocery store and grind them in you blender.

Willkat98
04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
How much time do you have to spend online to come up with all the wacky stuff you post?:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

I'd be lying if I didnt admit to already having that site bookmarked.

I'll only make love to my wife after she's had a bacon mint.

Now that, is pig candy!

(Don't show her this post)