PDA

View Full Version : Rub for Brisket

gt2003
06-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Ok, I can do pulled pork, ribs and fatties but I haven't done a lot of brisket. The new little lady's daughter loves brisket. Any ideas on a good rub? I can either buy or make, I just want something good. I've used "Jeff's rub" from smoking meat forums and it's ok and I've also used Montreal Steak seasoning and it to is OK. But, I'm looking for something outstanding!!!

Also, is there a "wood preference" for brisket? I've got pecan and hickory on hand.

Thanks folks, the smoke will be this coming weekend so give me your best shot. THANKS!

cabinetmaker
06-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Head Counrty on the rub, or your personal favorite. Hickory or mesquite works good. Gonna do an SOB?

gt2003
06-07-2010, 09:05 AM
SOB, not sure. I haven't decided 100% yet. I'm leaning towards the traditional method. I did four racks of ribs on Memorial day (didn't post but I do have pics!) and they loved them. Becky's daughter LOVES brisket so I want this one to be really good. Chances are I'll start it mid-afternoon/early evening Friday then cheat and finish it up in the oven, LOW AND SLOW! I don't think I've got an all nighter in me at this point so I'll give it a good 5-6 hours of smoke then foil that baby and stick it in the oven for the night. I'm sure it will be outstanding provided I follow the advice you all give. This will be a good chance to learn a little more about the brisket. I'm looking forward to it!

chef schwantz
06-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I'll give away the components of my "secret" beef rub. I mix Montreal that has been finely ground, with some ancho powder, smoked paprika, and half sharp paprika. I'd give you the quantities, but I don't know them myself, as I just eye everything till it looks and tastes 'bout right.

gt2003
06-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks Chef. I'm in a small town so I'll have to start looking for ingredients now. Not sure I can find them but I'll look. I know I can find the Head Country.

So is it half montreal/smoked paprika/ancho powder mixture then the other half is sharp paprika? I've never used the ancho before and I like the idea of the finely ground Montreal Steak.

chef schwantz
06-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I'd say its about 1/2 montreal, and 1/2 the rest. I get alot of my spices from this place:
Smoked paprika (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysspanishpaprika.html), Half sharp paprika (http://http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspaprika.html)

The half sharp has a bit of heat and some good flavor. If you order from them, don't bother with the jars, you just pay for the glass, get 1/4# or larger bags. They will also send you catalogs, which as of late, always have coupons for free stuff with any order.

gt2003
06-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd say its about 1/2 montreal, and 1/2 the rest. I get alot of my spices from this place:
Smoked paprika (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysspanishpaprika.html), Half sharp paprika (http://http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspaprika.html)

The half sharp has a bit of heat and some good flavor. If you order from them, don't bother with the jars, you just pay for the glass, get 1/4# or larger bags. They will also send you catalogs, which as of late, always have coupons for free stuff with any order.

Alright, I'm ordering it now. Hopefully it'll be here by the weekend. I'll pick up the headcountry also. Any other ideas are welcome. I need to break out of my comfort zone on the rub. Keep 'em coming folks. I appreciate it.

SmokyOkie
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Buthcer's premium rub is what had the perfect 180 score over the weekend. I would be wanting to try that if I were you.

Just click on his logo in the supporting vendors box

IMHO, Montreal is way too high salt content to be used as a rub. It is not designed to be used as a rub.

By the time you use enough to get the good seasoning flavor, you have ODed it with salt.

Just my :twocents:

gt2003
06-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Dang Tim, I can't get the link to work right now. I'll keep trying throughout the day. Looks like I might end up with 2 briskets or more on the smoker, HA!

SmokyOkie
06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
You might try a different browser. It just worked for me.

O B City
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I just eye everything till it looks and tastes 'bout right.

I did everything that way until a few months ago. A few of my cooks went sideways on me, and I realized afterwards that old age made me forget an important ingredient or process step so I have been writing in a notebook or posting here. That way it comes out the same next time :)

gt2003
06-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Ok Tim, as I figured, just a problem with the browser at work. So, it says the premium rub is to be used in combination with the marinade. Any ideas, should I order both? I have absolutely no problem with ordering them both but if you know something I don't, hook me up!

Hey, did you ever get the chance to use the rub I traded? Let me know what you used it on and how you liked it. Hey, it's not my recipe, so, if you didn't like it, you won't hurt my feelings.

SmokyOkie
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I did, and it was good. I thought I told you. sorry.:blushing:

Personally, I don't inject unless for a comp, but if you never have, you might want to try it. I didn;t mention that because you had only asked about the rub.

gt2003
06-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I did, and it was good. I thought I told you. sorry.:blushing:

Personally, I don't inject unless for a comp, but if you never have, you might want to try it. I didn;t mention that because you had only asked about the rub.

So, you're saying order the marinade and the rub?

SmokyOkie
06-07-2010, 09:19 PM
The marinade is an injection. If you want to try it, then you should. It is a good product adn we use it at comps.

If you just only want to rub then just order the rub.

It is a good product as well.

I betcha that if you dropped a PM to David that he would not mind a bit to give you a tip or two ( w/o giving up any big secrets of course.:roflmaoha0:).

gt2003
06-07-2010, 09:23 PM
The marinade is an injection. If you want to try it, then you should. It is a good product adn we use it at comps.

If you just only want to rub then just order the rub.

It is a good product as well.

I betcha that if you dropped a PM to David that he would not mind a bit to give you a tip or two ( w/o giving up any big secrets of course.:roflmaoha0:).

And, his member name is what? Obviously I'm not in to the comps but it would make my day to make her a brisket that knocks her socks off! Thanks Tim.....again!

So, did you try the rub I sent your way?

Also, the rooster booster is out of this world. I think I've done chicken 5-6 times and the large container is barely broken into. Really folks, you should order some of the rooster booster!

chef schwantz
06-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Buthcer's premium rub is what had the perfect 180 score over the weekend. I would be wanting to try that if I were you.

Just click on his logo in the supporting vendors box

IMHO, Montreal is way too high salt content to be used as a rub. It is not designed to be used as a rub.

Thats why I cut it with about 1/2 in volume with the other ingredients.

By the time you use enough to get the good seasoning flavor, you have ODed it with salt.

Just my :twocents:

xyz123

gt2003
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
...................................I'm running out of time............................Hehehe, thanks for the help!

SmokyOkie
06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
And, his member name is what? Obviously I'm not in to the comps but it would make my day to make her a brisket that knocks her socks off! Thanks Tim.....again!

So, did you try the rub I sent your way?

Yes I did. It was good. Brett stole it and has it now.:blushing:

gt2003
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Are there any stores in or around Tulsa that carry ButcherBBQ's premium rub? Not sure I've got time to order it and get it before the weekend.

gt2003
07-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I'll give away the components of my "secret" beef rub. I mix Montreal that has been finely ground, with some ancho powder, smoked paprika, and half sharp paprika. I'd give you the quantities, but I don't know them myself, as I just eye everything till it looks and tastes 'bout right.

Uhm....TRY IT! Enough said! This stuff is great. Tried it on a brisket yesterday and it was out of this world. I think it's so great because it doesn't have the sweetness of so many other rubs. I can't wait to try it on some other beef.

chef schwantz
07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Glad it worked out well for you.:thumbs up: