PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's cherry smoke

SmokyOkie
04-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I suppose I could've posted this in the pork forum, but there are less posts here and this post has to do with both.

We were needing to clear out a little space in the deep freeze and came across a turkey and a spiral cut ham.

the turkey had been in there since a little after the first of the year. Seems it's not PC to give out Christmas turkeys anymore as it may offend non-Christians:tap:, so the Okette's employer gives out "Holiday turkeys" after New Years. (Who wants turkey that close after the holidays anyway, right).

At any rate, Lucille was wanting a little attention so I fired her up with some black cherry logs and went to work on the bird. Given the time of day I was in a hurry to get it on the smoker so I didn't take time for pix, but this is what I did.

I loosened up the skin all over and under the bird, even around the legs, thighs and first wing joints. Then I chopped some fresh herbs and mixed them with some honey and butter and rubbed all over between the skin and meat. It is sitting out there basking in 250 smoke with a loose foil tent over it. An hour or so before its done I plan on removing the foil, rubbing it with butter and letting the skin crisp.

Next comes the ham. I intend to use the glaze pack that came with it to season the slices in between each other (hopefully pix to come if the Okette will assist). After that, I'll make a brandy, sugar and spice slurry and begin brushing it on the ham. I don't intend to cook the ham, just slowly heat it and glaze it. I'll place it on some extra HD foil and then I'll be able to pull the side up around it as the glaze drips down

company just showed up, gotta run, but I'll be back in a bit.

Bbq Bubba
04-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Will be waiting for that!! :drooling:

Short One
04-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Sounds good Tim. Can't beat a good cherry smoke. Will be waiting for the Q-views.

PigCicles
04-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good spiral cut ham? And where on earth did you find a spiral cut turkey? :msn-wink:

Sounds rilly good Okie and I'm really surprised that Bubba let it go without pictures.

Waiting for on the pictures.

Bbq Bubba
04-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good spiral cut ham? And where on earth did you find a spiral cut turkey? :msn-wink:

Sounds rilly good Okie and I'm really surprised that Bubba let it go without pictures.

Waiting for on the pictures.

Was gonna cut him a lil slack but.......

PigCicles
04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
You know, the guy in that pic looks kind of like Glued2it.

BA_LoKo
04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
You know, the guy in that pic looks kind of like Glued2it.

Yeah, but not quite as oogley.

~runnin' and duckin~

Bassman
04-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Looks good to me! Such a nice crispy skin on that turkey. Did you use pecan? :drooling:

SmokyOkie
04-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I got the pix but didn't have time to post them. I got taxes to deal with today as well as the usual Monday drudgery. I'll try to get 'em up tonight.

SmokyOkie
04-14-2008, 06:45 PM
OK Bubba, Here's the proof that it did, in fact happen:

No pix of the turkey prep cuz my hands wuz messy and the Okette didn't want to hep.

First, I seasoned the ham inside and out w/ the seasoning packet that came with it (its sposed to be a glaze pack):
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Cherry%20turkey%20and%20ham%20smoke%20w%20pig%20ca ndy/HPIM0731.jpg

Then I made a sugar/spice/brandy slurry:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Cherry%20turkey%20and%20ham%20smoke%20w%20pig%20ca ndy/HPIM0742.jpg

Here's the ham:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Cherry%20turkey%20and%20ham%20smoke%20w%20pig%20ca ndy/HPIM0748.jpg

Here's the turkey:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Cherry%20turkey%20and%20ham%20smoke%20w%20pig%20ca ndy/HPIM0737.jpg

And last, but not least, here's the never to be left out Pig candy:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Cherry%20turkey%20and%20ham%20smoke%20w%20pig%20ca ndy/HPIM0750.jpg

Bbq Bubba
04-14-2008, 09:49 PM
You da man!!!
Looks great, i knew you wouldn't let us down....:msn-wink:

TX Sandman
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Looks great, i knew you wouldn't let us down....:msn-wink:

*Suuuuure*, you didn't. :msn-wink:

Good lookin' grub, Tim!

phatQ
04-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I believe you, pics or no.
But the pics sure do spice it up a good bit! Now I'm hongry. :thumbs up:
Smoking a precooked ham makes a good thing great!

SmokyOkie
04-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I believe you, pics or no.
But the pics sure do spice it up a good bit! Now I'm hongry. :thumbs up:
Smoking a precooked ham makes a good thing great!

The cherry smoke along with the brandy, sugar and spices is a wonderful thing. Wouldn't it be nice if you could jus buy them that way?

Florida Bill
04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Great looking chow Tim! I agree .... wouldn't it be nice if you could buy a ham like that. What's your recipe for the slurry?

SmokyOkie
04-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Vaguely, brown sugar, brandy or whiskey, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, mace and cinnamon. I smoke cool, 200-225 for about an hour to get the cherry into the ham real well, the start slathering the slurry over it. Every so often I pull the slurry and juices back up to the top and let it run back down to get the cherry smoke into the slurry and thus into the ham. I also keep the foil pulled up pretty tight against the ham meat so that the skin doesn't dry out.