PDA

View Full Version : Wild Cherry Trees

GaryleeDaniels
06-02-2010, 07:12 AM
I live in North Florida and there are lots of wild none fruit cherry trees. Can these tree be used for smoking? I read that cherry wood could be used but did not know if it was only the wood from cherry tree orchards. How long should you season wood be for using it in your smoker?

Joneser
06-02-2010, 07:39 AM
I don't see why not. I use a lot of cherry myself. I wouldn't use it as the main fire in the stickburner, I'd just add pucks for smoke and use something like oak for the main fire.
You should let wood season for at least a year before using it, of course some use green wood, but I wouldn't.

cliffcarter
06-16-2010, 05:23 AM
If they're the same as the wild cherry in Maine then you're good, does the bark look like the one in the middle? The wild cherry we have is a large tree, big ones can be 50'+, and does bear fruit. If you can post a picture of the tree it might be helpful. BTW to the left is a stick of maple and on the right a piece of oak.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy250/cliffcarter/wood4.jpg

PigCicles
06-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Cherry is excellent smoking wood. Any fruit or nut wood is okay to smoke with. Let it season 3 to 6 months if you can. You can speed it up a bit by putting some on the smoker to help force any sap or moisture from the wood.

SmokyOkie
06-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't see why not. I use a lot of cherry myself. I wouldn't use it as the main fire in the stickburner, I'd just add pucks for smoke and use something like oak for the main fire.
You should let wood season for at least a year before using it, of course some use green wood, but I wouldn't.

Why would you not use it for your main fuel Brian? It is always good when I do.

If you are using charcoal and adding wood, a couple or three small diameter sticks of green wood are good too ( maybe an inch or so in diameter.) But don't try to use green logs as fuel for a stickburner. It will give you fairly dirty smoke.

Length of seasoning would be determined by diameter of your logs. Generally somewhere between 6 and 12 months. I have found that cherry seasons faster than a lot of other woods such as oak. If it burns clean and hot, it is ready. That would be a good rule of thumb for any wood.

peculiarmike
06-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Go for it. Give it a try.
I like cherry, nice smoke. I also like cherry mixed with other wood, such as oak or pecan.
Cherry smoked spares.......... brings back memories of Clinton, MO and an ol' gal named Beula. :D (You had to be there, I'm lucky, I was)