PDA

View Full Version : Buckboard Bacon

peculiarmike
01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi Mountain's Buckboard Bacon Cure makes a mighty tasty product. It is not bacon as you buy it from the grocer, it is all together different. It even has different flavors, depending on how thick you slice it. Thicker slices taste more like ham.
Buckboard Bacon is easy to make. The biggie is curing it, that takes several days and the waiting makes you anxious. After it is cured you smoke it per the instructions and you have Buckboard Bacon.
Slice it and vac seal portions you think are right for a meal. For something different put 2-3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup in a few of the packages. The vacuum will pull the maple syrup into the meat.
If you have not made Buckboard Bacon, you need to!
Some pics -

Kew_el_steve
01-20-2008, 03:54 AM
I've been thinking about trying that. Googled it and :

http://www.sausagesource.com/catalog/hmm-bbc.html

peculiarmike
01-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Steve (and anyone interested) -

Here is the link to Hi Mountain's site -

https://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=248

BB Bacon Cure is $4.99 + shipping there. The shipping kills you, you do better ordering a group of things. Also, register on their site. They will send you specials and recipes by email.
Enjoy!

Willkat98
01-25-2008, 08:44 AM
I have a friend that opened a store and just got my hands on some of this Hi Mountain cure.

Mike, this looks like a boneless butt, which is typical to use for this, but I seem to get a ton of 4# pork loins and have heard people use them for BB Bacon. Have you ever?

Is the pork loin variety more of what we know as "Canadian Bacon"?

And would the cure make it all the way to the middle of a 4# loin, or should I cut it in half first into two 2# loins?

Luckily, there is 3 packets in the box, so I can afford 2 fark ups!

peculiarmike
01-25-2008, 11:06 AM
I have a friend that opened a store and just got my hands on some of this Hi Mountain cure.

Mike, this looks like a boneless butt, which is typical to use for this, but I seem to get a ton of 4# pork loins and have heard people use them for BB Bacon. Have you ever?

Is the pork loin variety more of what we know as "Canadian Bacon"?
And would the cure make it all the way to the middle of a 4# loin, or should I cut it in half first into two 2# loins?

Luckily, there is 3 packets in the box, so I can afford 2 fark ups!

Bill, that butt was boneless because I removed the bone, per the instructions. I have not used a store bought boneless butt to make BBB.
I have not tried a loin, but have seen a lot of folks do it. They say it indeed makes Canadian Bacon. I think if you have concerns about cure penetration you can always leave the meat in the cure longer. My BBB was in the cure 5 days longer than the instructions say to leave it because I was tied up on other things. Cutting a loin into two pieces might be a good thing and is certainly another option.
Make sure you THOROUGHLY wash the meat after removing it from the cure. Scrub it with a brush. Might not even hurt to soak it in clear water a while, change the water and soak it a bit more. Otherwise you will have some really salty meat.
Like I said, thickness of the slices changes the flavor. Thicker tastes more like ham.
I am going to do a pork loin, I have half a loin in the freezer that has been begging to get out for a while now, and left over cure.
I don't see any farking up happening, go for it! :cheer:

Bassman
01-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Steve (and anyone interested) -

Here is the link to Hi Mountain's site -

https://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=248

BB Bacon Cure is $4.99 + shipping there. The shipping kills you, you do better ordering a group of things. Also, register on their site. They will send you specials and recipes by email.
Enjoy!

If you have a Sportsmen's Warehouse anywhere near you, they carry the Hi Mtn seasonings. You would probably have to pay tax but not the shipping. Keith

peculiarmike
01-28-2008, 09:55 AM
We have Cabela's & Bass Pro Shop. They carry Hi Mountain jerky cures, summer sausage kits, etc., but not the Buckboard Bacon Cure for some reason. t@

PigCicles
01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I have yet to do any BBB ... wonder why? It always looks good. It's on my list of things to do soon. Keep motivating me Mike.

Willkat98
02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
I finally got around to doing this.

Busy as heck, but I'll do a write up with pics later today or tomorrow.

I used a loin for 8 days, then soaked in water for 1 day. It was a battle, and I need lots of practice.

Write up and pics very soon!!

peculiarmike
02-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I finally got around to doing this.

Busy as heck, but I'll do a write up with pics later today or tomorrow.

I used a loin for 8 days, then soaked in water for 1 day. It was a battle, and I need lots of practice.

Write up and pics very soon!!

All right Bill! Hope it came out good. Waiting pics & write up!

SmokyOkie
02-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I think Glued2it has some pix of some tenderloins that he did. I'd never heard of using tenderloins, but they sure look great. How 'bout it Glued?

Willkat98
02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
All right Bill! Hope it came out good. Waiting pics & write up!

Went to download last night, no camera battery and the chip reader on the fritz.

Argh!!!

I'll try stop tonight for batteries.

Willkat98
02-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Here we go.

Had a 4.5# pork loin. Not a tenderloin, just a pork loin.

Hi Mountain BB cure for 8 days, rinsed and soaked in water overnight.

Way too windy even for the WSM, and it was raining.

Smoked in less than ideal conditions on the kettle. Cooked a bit too fast, IMO.

Only took about 2 hours to get to 140*. Cooker was all over the place. 250-400* with the wind.

End result, Fair.

A bit salty. I had cut the loin in half to insure penetration to the center, no need. It was fine without.

I've been fixing (experimenting) with soaking the slices in water. 1 hour seems to cut the sodium in half.

Don't know what order these pics will post, but they are from start in cure, to smoked look at 140, to sliced, to pan.

At least, thats the order I'm posting them

Bottom line, even too salty, way too good to stop trying!!!

peculiarmike
02-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Looks good enough to eat Bill! The salty thing is something hard to get around.

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Did you slice that by hand? Extremely uniform thin slices, pretty enough for a picture.

Looks like excellent material for a Cuban sammich or eggs Benedict either one. Bring some down and I'll make whichever you like for you provided I get some too.

SmokyOkie
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Here's a shot of some tenderloin BB bacon

Willkat98
03-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Did you slice that by hand? Extremely uniform thin slices, pretty enough for a picture.

I was actually going for uniformity, thanks for asking!

I wanted all of them to roughly cook up in the same amount of time.

I took extra time to make sure each slice was around the same.

Took me probably 20 minutes or so to do the whole thing, stopping twice to hone a quick edge on the Henkel!

gunrunner2491
03-26-2008, 12:06 PM
I have got to get into this.:thumbs up:

Willkat98
04-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Man I love this stuff

I'm still working through my first batch, and have not perfected it yet.

Got rid of some salt by soaking the slices before cryo suck.

This pack I opened today said 2/22/08 and I still got one more pack.

Slightly thicker pieces were a bit easier on the salt, for some reason.

Heres this mornings breakfast, served on my favorite Dora the Explorer plate.

Florida Bill
04-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Folks,
I've done the Buck Board cure on butts, tenderloin and loin. It's great! Just a matter of adjusting the amount of cure to the cut of meat. And just as mentioned here, soaking in water helps greatly with over salty meat. (That's a result of the nitrates.) Pancakes or waffles go soooo well with it. Good eats and well worth the effort!

SmokyOkie
04-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Man I love this stuff

I'm still working through my first batch, and have not perfected it yet.

Got rid of some salt by soaking the slices before cryo suck.

This pack I opened today said 2/22/08 and I still got one more pack.

Slightly thicker pieces were a bit easier on the salt, for some reason.

Heres this mornings breakfast, served on my favorite Dora the Explorer plate.

Gotta have one of those plates!:roflmaoha0:

żY donde esta los juevos?

Willkat98
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm convinced everything tastes better on a happy plate.

Have you seen my home made plate that I drew as a kid, back when I had blue hair?

I got a picture of that with my fatty bagel burger somewhere.

And my McDonalds Halloween plate makes ribs taste awesome!

PigCicles
04-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Bill you need our smiley face table cloth to go with those plates. Not sure where any pics are of it right now.

Okie: is it juevos? or huevos? You talking about the missing eggs?

Willkat98
06-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Okay

Its been a few weeks.

Oh Mr Sandman, where the hell are you?

TX Sandman
06-21-2008, 01:23 AM
D@ Been so busy I can't think straight. Too many hours at work, not enough asleep. (Heck, I spent over 31.5 hrs just on my cell phone last month. That, plus the office landline, means over an entire work week was on the phone.)

But, I've finally got some more staff, so maybe that'll change.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/others-301.GIF *Please*, let it change!

Bill was kind enough to send me some BB cure, but I've been too busy to try it. This weekend, I plan on getting to the store to get a container and pork loin or butt to get this started. But lately, even my plans to sleep through the night have been farked up, thanks to work. Like tonight.

Willkat98
06-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Just stirring the pot Rob.

Take your time,

1. Family
2. Work
3. Self
4. Everything Else.

I only put work before self, since if I couldnt support my family, I couldnt support myself either.

Wasnt looking for a kudo. In fact, I like to hit people up anonymously just for fun.

But I guess I did do a public shout out to you, cuz I wished I saw you round the Net more.

Take care Bro

SmokyOkie
06-21-2008, 09:25 PM
What would we do without our resident jester and beehive kicker?

Speaking for all, we're glad to have you with us, actually , both of you, actually all of you.

Great community!

Willkat98
06-21-2008, 10:01 PM
What would we do without our resident jester and beehive kicker?

Speaking for all, we're glad to have you with us, actually , both of you, actually all of you.

Great community!

Oh, I got a special something packed up ready to ship to you.

Its country of origin will make you laugh

SmokyOkie
06-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Uh-Oh!?

Willkat98
01-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Uh-Oh!?

Only took me 6.5 months to ship to Tim!!

Now, we have to get Rob to make and post BB Bacon pics!!

TX Sandman
01-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Now, we have to get Rob to make and post BB Bacon pics!!

:oops:

SmokyOkie
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes I did get what Bill sent me. Thanks for thinking of me Bill!:sign0092:

As it turns out, what's really funny is that what he sent me was also something that I had recently tried that i had never had before.

I guess it's just another case of great minds following similar paths.

BTW Bill, watch the mailbox. there might be something new and weird show up soon.:thumbs up:

Buzzards Roost
01-13-2009, 07:25 AM
I also got some buckboard bacon cure for christmas think I'll go buy a roast and give it a try. And maybe a loin also.

SmokyOkie
01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Buy a roast? Why not buy a butt?