PDA

View Full Version : Spares Trimming

Fatback Joe
05-20-2010, 01:14 PM
When you guys turn in spares (or when judging how do you see them?) do you make sure they are trimmed up right to the top of the bone or do you leave some of the cartiledge stuff on there?

I always trimmed right across the top of the bones and got rid of all the cartlidge parts and turned in nothing but bone and meat. When I trimmed, the rack was not really squared up, but tapered as the bones got smaller towards the end of the rack.

Never really gave it much thought before, but was wondering if anyone turns them in with that piece attached?

Capt Dan
05-20-2010, 08:28 PM
we trim them straight so the rack looks uniform. Some of the end ribs have cartilage on them, but I think most judges know how a pig rib is.

Fatback Joe
05-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks Dan.

That is what I was thinking, but always did them across the bones just to avoid the cartiledge stuff, but seems most of the racks I find now have odd and short bones that will make that harder to do and still have a decent looking turn in.

SmokyOkie
05-21-2010, 07:22 AM
We just try to make sure the little round cartlidges that run perpendicular to the bone are gone. Kinda figure the more meaty part you can leave on, the better, provided they don't bit into the white stuff.

Just remember, they will bite into what they percieve to be the middle of the rib.

Bbq Bubba
05-21-2010, 09:38 AM
we trim them straight so the rack looks uniform. Some of the end ribs have cartilage on them, but I think most judges know how a pig rib is.

:whathesaid: