PDA

View Full Version : 1st TQJ Team Comp Disaster

SmokyOkie
04-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Well, we didn't get DQed but we did get taken to school. We made some serious mistakes, but moreover we learned what comps are really all about and i'm here to tell you that the only way to learn is to enter one. I don't care how much you read, how much you search the web, or how many compers or KCBS jucdges you can confer with, you have to do it to learn ( and yes Steve, we were, and prolly still are rookies).

we ended up 44 out of 49 as I recall.

We had a respectable score in Brisket for a first time crew (if we hadn't made the mistakes we made, I think we would've had a chance of getting a call)

Nothing else but the "anything but" contest got a respectable score, but with the mistakes we made, I really didn't expect to do even as well as we did.

Good cooks, poor performance, lack of understanding of exactly what our goals should've been all contributed to our poor performance.

if we had submitted the Q we produced the week before at out practice run we would've done much better.

I don't want to sound like I'm crying about poor judging, in fact, I'm not blaming the judges at all, but I do think they shouuld've let us know that instead of KCBS certified judges, we were being judged by the local Elks members. It's not that we would've scored any better ( we didn't produce as good of food as we were capable of), it's just that if we had real judges, at least we would've emerged with bona fide knowledge of what KCBS judges want in their Q.

I'm (I'm sure we all are) worn out right now, its past dinner time, and then I'll be off to bed. Scores, details, pix and all we be posted in the next few days.

As it stands right now, with what I know about Q comps, I don't really think I care to participate in the future. I think I would much prefer to just go and hang out in the future. That may well change when I recover from my current exhaustion.

peculiarmike
04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Sorta like I always say about judging - It ain't as easy as it looks.
Your eyes are open now.
I'd like to see you guys try another comp., a KCBS State Championship comp. Not a BIG one, a small one.

smokebuzz
04-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Any comp is good experience, if you relized you made mistakes, then you have learned from it that will make you better. I personaly cook/ produce differnt Q for KCBS than i do for the "Localy" events. When i do the localy event i turn in some thing the would send a diabetic into shock, they(judges) will expect something sweet, thats all they have ever had and the KCBS you need good meat flavor and balanced rubs/glazes/sauces.
Get registerd for another, and hit it again, it gets to be more fun at each you do, you know what your doing, now show them.

glued2it
04-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Going in knowing that comp is different than Backyard Q, I didn't expect much. With it being first comp, I didn't expect to win.
I knew it was going to be a great experience and we were going to learn allot.
Stuart One the presidents from cook shack was next to us and was really helpful in so many aspects. Great guy even if his second place brisket was dry and salty. Even he said what he serves to his family and friends is different theen what he turns in for comp.
We made some mistakes here and there but who doesn't? Everything that was prepared was editable.

Theory
I think the next comp each team member should be assigned a category from start to finish.
Each member should be responsible for Recipe and process of there category.
I think that will give more of a dexterity of cooking styles all into one team.

As a team we all pitched in and had a hand in every category and that worked well.
We worked well together and we looked like we knew what we were doing.
We were definitely the sharpest dressed bunch and I was the best looking
guy at the whole comp.(hee hee)

Overall
I believe the experience was far from a disaster. We learned some good things, met some great people and manged to consume large amounts of beer! Not while cooking of course.
We were up against teams that has done this for years. Knowledge doesn't always account for experience.
Yea we could have done better but, we could have done worse too.
I'm a dive in head first kinda guy and that's what we did. I can't wait to do another one. I think I finally figured out what to do when I retire.

We didn't get a lot of pics so we were so busy and exhausted.
But here are a few.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture391.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture394.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture398.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture403.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture404.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture419.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture422.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture428.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture429.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture430.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture436.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture449.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture442.jpg

gunrunner2491
04-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Reguardless of the scores, it looks like you had fun, and that's all that matters.:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-09-2008, 10:25 AM
If anyone happened to notice, SmokyOkie was nowhere to be found in the after party pix. Where do you suppose he might've been? Rumor has it that he was somewhere looking for judge #3.

I would like to share my take on mistakes made and lessons learned. I don't have time to go over everything at once, and I don't want to bore everybody with one long post either, so what I"ll do is present an overview from my perspective, and then follow up later with my take on each individual category.

OVERVIEW:

Competition food and home, or even restaurant food are two different things.

One should always remember that each judge will only take one bite of each meat, so you only have one chance to wow them. If they take the wrong bite, you're SOL. One should probably season each meat much more heavily than they would if they were going to make a meal of it. If what you turn in is so highly seasoned that you couldn't stand to eat a whole portion of it, that's OK.

Sauce, Sauce, Sauce. Pretty much everything that won at our comp was absolutely slathered in layers of sauce as I understand it. This is difficult for me because in this part of the country it is very close to blasphemy to serve pre-sauced meat. Were I to evter another competition, I would have to work on my saucing technique.

The biggest two mistakes we made were as follows:
1) We tried to show the judges something different. You know, something they hadn't seen before, but something undeniably very tasty. We should've stayed with the traditional stuff. (this is also difficult for me being as, to me, creativity is the most important part of culinary excellence. This appears to be a cardinal sin here.)

2) Timing. Both our pork and our rib entires were started too late, and we tried to leave a two to two and a half hour window for fudge factor. It wasn't enough. If we were to do it again, I would invest in a Cambro, or some other high performance holding device and plan to have everything done 3 to 4 hours before turn in or maybe even longer.

That's my overview, and about all I have time for for now. Over the next few days I will break everything down by category and share what what happened with each of our entries in hopes that this may prevent otheres from making the same mistakes that we did.

TX Sandman
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture442.jpg

Dangdest turn-in box I've every seen. :msn-wink:

Thanks for the pics, Jeremy!

Tim, can't wait for the individual catagory posts.

Great points! I really hope y'all try another comp or 2 to get things smoothed out a bit before calling it quits. Can't let the TQJ team go 1-and-done. Got enough of that with the Dallas Cowboys, donchuno.

SmokyOkie
04-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Dangdest turn-in box I've every seen. :msn-wink:

Thanks for the pics, Jeremy!

Tim, can't wait for the individual catagory posts.

Great points! I really hope y'all try another comp or 2 to get things smoothed out a bit before calling it quits. Can't let the TQJ team go 1-and-done. Got enough of that with the Dallas Cowboys, donchuno.

Our "Anything Butt" entry prolly would've scored better if we'd turned those in instead. We turned in a Cajun Pork loin pinwheel that was perfect in execution as well as in composition. Glued2it has pix, and I'll see if I can get him to post them It was definitely gourmet stuff, but ribeye steak and bacon wrapped shrimp won and we placed 4th. I was under the assumption that culinary skill entered into the equation, but I was mis-informed. I really wish we hadn't expended the time and effort for it. At the risk of sounding like sour grapes. I still feel as though it was a bit of casting pearls before swine. If you do a comp, remember, don't show the judges anything they haven't seen before. They don't seem to like that. I since learned that "Anything Butt" contests are more of an attempt to regale the judges as opposed to demonstrating skill. Serve them well prepared filet and lobster and you'll probably win. I heard it said that to win the AB, you have to spend $100 to win $75, and I now believe that's true. I'll never enter another one.

As to doing another comp, I only did this one so that I could say I did one, and so that I would know whether or not I was talking out of school when I enumerated the reasons why I didn't want to do comps.

The reasons that I don't do comps are expenditure of time and money, lack of sleep and the fact that I don't have anything toprove to anyone. Since my recent experience, I can add to the list that the size of the reward is in too close proximity to the costs involved, and that the structure stifles culinary creativity.

If I didn't already have too many expensive hobbies, I might consider doing some, but not until they start having turn ins in the evening. I guess I'm too old to even stay up all night to have sex, so I'm sure not going to stay up all night just to cook BBQ.

I also fell as though as many years as I've soent learning how to cook good BBQ, I don't want to relearn just so that I know how to cook "competition food"

Perhaps you might want to enter a comp under the name of The Joint.

I really don't want to take anything away from the competition warriors in the crowd. They are for the most part very skilled at their game, and deserve respect for what they do. It's just not my game. I don't play football either, but I did when I was younger.

TX Sandman
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
As to doing another comp, I only did this one so that I could say I did one, and so that I would know whether or not I was talking out of school when I enumerated the reasons why I didn't want to do comps. ...

Perhaps you might want to enter a comp under the name of The Joint.

No worries. I completely understand. I've just always been told to try something new at least 3 times to make sure you didn't like it. I don't want y'all to have a bad experience and think they're all that way. That said, I completely understand and respect your reasons. Especially since you're the (n)th person to tell me that.

Thanks for the advice on how to cook for the judges.

As for entering under The Joint, I'm afraid we already have a name picked out. Thanks just the same, though.

Capt Dan
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the thread, and insight. The pics were cool too. Not really understanding having pizza at a BBQ comp, but maybe everyones food was bad!:roflmaoha0:

Its interesting to hear the different perspectives of the event.
I am about to dabble in the same thing soon, starting out slow and working my way up to .....slow!:msn-wink:

No trying to dazzle anyone , probably won't even spend the money on matchingBBQ shirts/hats. Just going for the experience, the fun and fellowship, and the chicks!:woohoo:. I heard them comp groupies are hardcore!:woohoo:

glued2it
04-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Saterday night we stayed in stillwater to relax and drink some beer.
So after everyone had already left we had a little after party at the elks lodge bar. Hence the pizza.

SmokyOkie
04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
No worries. I completely understand. I've just always been told to try something new at least 3 times to make sure you didn't like it. I don't want y'all to have a bad experience and think they're all that way. That said, I completely understand and respect your reasons. Especially since you're the (n)th person to tell me that.

Thanks for the advice on how to cook for the judges.

As for entering under The Joint, I'm afraid we already have a name picked out. Thanks just the same, though.

That's a good philosophy, but I never really had intentions of continuing to do comps.

If I had an FEC like the one that Stuart from Cookshack had, I might comsider it because with one of those, you just set it and toddle off to bed until about 9:00 the next morning. But then, I'm not really in the mood to spend $10,500 on a cooker either.

BA_LoKo
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
If anyone happened to notice, SmokyOkie was nowhere to be found in the after party pix. Where do you suppose he might've been? Rumor has it that he was somewhere looking for judge #3.

I would like to share my take on mistakes made and lessons learned. I don't have time to go over everything at once, and I don't want to bore everybody with one long post either, so what I"ll do is present an overview from my perspective, and then follow up later with my take on each individual category.

OVERVIEW:

Competition food and home, or even restaurant food are two different things.

One should always remember that each judge will only take one bite of each meat, so you only have one chance to wow them. If they take the wrong bite, you're SOL. One should probably season each meat much more heavily than they would if they were going to make a meal of it. If what you turn in is so highly seasoned that you couldn't stand to eat a whole portion of it, that's OK.

Sauce, Sauce, Sauce. Pretty much everything that won at our comp was absolutely slathered in layers of sauce as I understand it. This is difficult for me because in this part of the country it is very close to blasphemy to serve pre-sauced meat. Were I to evter another competition, I would have to work on my saucing technique.

The biggest two mistakes we made were as follows:
1) We tried to show the judges something different. You know, something they hadn't seen before, but something undeniably very tasty. We should've stayed with the traditional stuff. (this is also difficult for me being as, to me, creativity is the most important part of culinary excellence. This appears to be a cardinal sin here.)

2) Timing. Both our pork and our rib entires were started too late, and we tried to leave a two to two and a half hour window for fudge factor. It wasn't enough. If we were to do it again, I would invest in a Cambro, or some other high performance holding device and plan to have everything done 3 to 4 hours before turn in or maybe even longer.

That's my overview, and about all I have time for for now. Over the next few days I will break everything down by category and share what what happened with each of our entries in hopes that this may prevent otheres from making the same mistakes that we did.

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::r oflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: That's funny, I don't care who you are.

I think I saw Judge #3 headed out the back door (with his walker) after your comments to Brian.

PigCicles
04-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I can't imagine the Okie to say something opinionated out loud! Are you sure it was him talking? :roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

BA_LoKo
04-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Believe it or not, Joe, he found a way to voice some sort of diminutive opinion. I know it sounds far fetched, but that's how I remember it. :roflmaoha0:

BlazerQue
04-09-2008, 09:36 PM
LOL

They cook all of that good barbecue and then order pizza... :)

glued2it
04-10-2008, 05:58 AM
LOL

They cook all of that good barbecue and then order pizza... :)

Trust me We had all the BBQ we could stand.

I'm pretty sure it was time for pizza!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture447.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/Picture445.jpg

TX Sandman
04-10-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm pretty sure it was time for pizza!

:wo: Time for *something*, that's for sure!

glued2it
04-10-2008, 06:49 AM

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/judge3.jpg

peculiarmike
04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Significant others?
Elks gals?
Comp. groupies? (I hear they are relentless) :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Significant others?
Elks gals?
Comp. groupies? (I hear they are relentless) :roflmaoha0:

Overly drunken bar ****s. One of them was so drunk that she even came up and started rubbing her special parts on ME! Now that's drunk!:roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
:roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: Hahahaha Okie got Fluffy :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

BA_LoKo
04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Overly drunken bar ****s. One of them was so drunk that she even came up and started rubbing her special parts on ME! Now that's drunk!:roflmaoha0:

Big deal........you were rubbing your special parts on the rest of us......was it the scotch?

~runnin' and duckin'~

SmokyOkie
04-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Big deal........you were rubbing your special parts on the rest of us......was it the scotch?

~runnin' and duckin'~

Run and duck :smack:

TX Sandman
04-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Why do I never find these women? I always find the ones packin' mace!

Run and duck :smack:

Kev's gettin' a beatin'! Who brought the popcorn? :munching_out:

SmokyOkie
04-20-2008, 06:03 PM
this is the first in my category by category analysis of mistakes we made that caused our poor performance.

The brisket was the best of the 4 categories. We scored mostly 8sw and 9s on flavor. We lost out on appearance and texture.

It seems that where the method calls for 2 hours fat side up w/n smoke followed by 1 hour fat side down, followed by fat side up and foil until done, the briskets were in fact foiled, but were not in fact flipped. As a result, all the best part of the brisket was extremely dried out. Out of 30# of brisket, we had to scramble to find enough point meat to fill a turn in box.

I'm not blaming anyone in particular, but rather taking notice that the time to flip and foil occurred @ the changing of the guard when the night shift was getting ready to go to bed and the day shift was just getting up. Neither shift was very alert and the mistake took place.

I'm considering that possibly next time we should cook the briskets before going to bed on Friday and worrying about reheating the next day.

I thinnk I also figured out that plain ol "best tasting brisket ya ever had" won't win comps. I think it has to do with the fact that the judges are taking just one bite of 50 or 60 different briskets. As a result the deep beefy flavor that we all love becomes somewhat of an undercurrent.

I've heard it said that when it comes to brisket, if it isn't salty, it won't win. Next time we'll salt the he!! out of it and see what happens. I also have a rub insertion concept that I think might play well.

PigCicles
04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Looks like you're taking on a winning attitude the right way. Play, analyze, adjust, and give it another try. I wish I had the schedule to hang with ya'll ... I kinda got the night shift thing figured out.

Winners are winners because they've overcome the challenges of the day.

SmokyOkie
04-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Looks like you're taking on a winning attitude the right way. Play, analyze, adjust, and give it another try. I wish I had the schedule to hang with ya'll ... I kinda got the night shift thing figured out.

Winners are winners because they've overcome the challenges of the day.

Remember though, a man needs to decide which hills are worth fighting for through his own prespective.

In the meantime, the next comp is @ Will rogers Downs, Claremore, Okla., may 16th and 17th. Join the team if you like, it's on;y an hour from your house.

PigCicles
04-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Just checked the current schedule. It appears I'm working nights that weekend. Not sure if anyone has vacation scheduled that week or not. I'll let ya know.

SmokyOkie
04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Ribs... How do you present ribs to those who have seen almost everything?

I thought that we might try to wow them with some baby backs that still had a lot of meat on them. WRONG! They've all seen that before.

Also by using this custom cut (about 3" of meat on them), I didn't allow enough time for them to cook fully. I mean they were done, but not as tender as we would've liked.

Rule #x: Don't cook an unfamiliar cut, and don't try to show the judges something new. It appears to me that what you have to do is to do the same thing as everyone else, only better, and make yours stand out at the same time. Which brings me to the next rule...

Sauce. I don't know why, but every entry that placed had sauce glazed on them. This is a tough thing for me, because in this part of the country, it borders on blasphemy to serve pre- sauced ribs. Ribs as we know them are served with sauce on the side (sometimes more than one choice of sauces). I have glazed sauce on BBs before, and I guess I will do that @ my next (should there be one) competition.

The ribs we served were good, just not as good as they could've been, not as good as we could've done, and definitely not as good as some of the other competitors turned in. I have no problem with our score on ribs, we (could be mostly I) just screwed it up.

TX Sandman
04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I have no problem with our score on ribs, we (could be mostly I) just screwed it up.

"You live and learn, or you don't live long."

So far, just sounds like not quite knowing what to expect.
That, and cooking to personal tastes, not judges'.

SmokyOkie
04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
It's difficult to cook for someone when you don't know what they like. This is prolly why nobody ever gets the lock on blue ribbons.

It is still amazing that such salty food scores so well. the fellow that took 2nd in brisket even admitted that he can't stand to eat his competition brisket because its so salty.

I really don't know as I want to learn to cook "competition food". I can't understand why so many people would want to work so hard at learning to cook stuff that they wouldn't want to eat themselves.

In the long and short of cooking though, isn't that really all an individual can do? To cook the best tasting food that he/she can? And if not to one's own tastes, then to what standard. remember that while there standards for tenderness and appearance, there is no way to standardize taste.

glued2it
04-22-2008, 08:45 AM
It is still amazing that such salty food scores so well. the fellow that took 2nd in brisket even admitted that he can't stand to eat his competition brisket because its so salty.

The judge (Elk or KCBS) only has to take one bite.
One bite can be amazing but too much to finish.
Competition food is for tasting and not and not eating.
How something could be so salty and taste good?:shrug: dunno
I wish I would have tasted it to get a better understanding.

I wondered if the ribs were considered "identifiable" in their minds.
Not DQ worthy but suspicious looking?

So I guess uniformity is the key here and taste makes all the difference.

Scoring table.
Appearance: .5714
Tenderness: 1.1428
Taste: 2.2858

PigCicles
04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Sounds like it's time to get the local KCBS judge down to OK for a day of "judging" to get a proper rub made up that will :wow: the judges.

peculiarmike
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Sounds like it's time to get the local KCBS judge down to OK for a day of "judging" to get a proper rub made up that will :wow: the judges.

I could do it, I AM qualified. :1987_food: :bandit:
Prolly need some SW MO help though. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Welllllll just gicherbriches on down then!

Actually, I think the rub we used is good, we just need to use more copious amounts.

Gunslinger
04-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Sauce. I don't know why, but every entry that placed had sauce glazed on them. This is a tough thing for me, because in this part of the country, it borders on blasphemy to serve pre- sauced ribs. Ribs as we know them are served with sauce on the side (sometimes more than one choice of sauces). I have glazed sauce on BBs before, and I guess I will do that @ my next (should there be one) competition.

Tim, sorry about the rotten judging.
These judges must be crazy. I knew a guy that owned a Q-joint back about 25 years ago, and he competed in these things. After 7 back to back world championships, they banned him from competition, and would only allow him to judge. His motto was, "Sauce is only for dippin'." He smoked and served everything naked. He was a pro. I knew him personally and ate at his joint regularly. It's because of him I started smoking food to begin with.
Anyway who cares what a bunch of drunken elitist Elks think anyway. We know you're the smoke master.

SmokyOkie
04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Pig butt....we didn't allow enough time plain and simple. On the trial run, we did 2 equal sized butts and in 8 hours at the same or less temp they were 2 200 IT. the ones we did 2 the comp took 12 hours. Lesson, get them done ahead of time! We allowed 2 1/2 hours fudge time, it wasn't enough. I will also use a saltier inject next time as opposed to my sweet and spice inject.

Chicken went great. We served delicious cherry smoked jerk chix. Only problem, the judges didn't like cherry smoked jerk chix. Lesson, stick w/ the traditional.

We cooked the chix the day before, cooled them and then crisped the up just before turn in. It worked well.

SmokyOkie
04-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Tim, sorry about the rotten judging.
These judges must be crazy. I knew a guy that owned a Q-joint back about 25 years ago, and he competed in these things. After 7 back to back world championships, they banned him from competition, and would only allow him to judge. His motto was, "Sauce is only for dippin'." He smoked and served everything naked. He was a pro. I knew him personally and ate at his joint regularly. It's because of him I started smoking food to begin with.
Anyway who cares what a bunch of drunken elitist Elks think anyway. We know you're the smoke master.

As much as I'd like to complain about the judges Gunny, I won't blame them any more than I'd blame the officials if I lost a ball game. It's their game and If I want to score well, I'll need to learn their game. While there are occasions that naked ribs win KCBS events, more often than not, the sticky sweet ones win. thanks for the consolation any way though

All wounds have been licked until they healed, I'll give it another try or two just so I can say I did. I still really have no inate interest in becoming a competition master.

peculiarmike
04-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Pig butt....we didn't allow enough time plain and simple. On the trial run, we did 2 equal sized butts and in 8 hours at the same or less temp they were 2 200 IT. the ones we did 2 the comp took 12 hours. Lesson, get them done ahead of time! We allowed 2 1/2 hours fudge time, it wasn't enough. I will also use a saltier inject next time as opposed to my sweet and spice inject.

Chicken went great. We served delicious cherry smoked jerk chix. Only problem, the judges didn't like cherry smoked jerk chix. Lesson, stick w/ the traditional.

We cooked the chix the day before, cooled them and then crisped the up just before turn in. It worked well.

Unless you are going back to the same group of judges I would NOT do saltier! And I'd think twice about doing it for them, given another chance.
What you tasted may not be what was turned in. :twocents:

glued2it
04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm pretty sure what Stuart(cook shack pres.) gave to try was what he turned in.

But like Russ(cook shack mod) The elks have a little different taste.
Do we know if there will be KCBS judges in claremore?

(strictly person opinion)
The chicken during the dry run was sooo juicy! It was really good.
I thought the skin was little strong but I don't think jerk is right for me.
I still ate the skin though.

The comp chicken wasn't near as juicy The skin had a lighter taste (better) but the meat was too strong.
(end opinion)

I think the pork would have done better if it was done. we had to pull what we could just to get a turn in.

I'm still baffled about the beans. Are you suppose to place a piece of parsley on top of the beans?
Or were they expecting some van de camps?:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Actually, I've talked to several seasoned compers that all say the same thing. "If it ain't salty, it won't win"

DaHorns
05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
In KCBS what kind of beans do you cook? Dry pintos?

I haven't ever cooked a KCBS event, we cook LSBS & IBCA, they are dry pinto entries only.

SmokyOkie
05-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Although this was a KCBS comp, the beans were a side contest. Kcbs only does the 4 basic meats.

I don't know what won but I do know there was a Mexican team there and they assuredly did pintos. We did canned , doctored Bush's with a lot of meat in them. They were great, and everybody that came by and tasted them thought so, but the judges though about half the other entries were better. We did beat the Mexicans thought! (I thought it was great to "out bean the beaners:msn-wink:)

I'm assuming that some sort of pintos won. While I like good meaty pintos, they never struck me as having anything to do with BBQ.

Primo
01-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Well, we didn't get DQed but we did get taken to school. We made some serious mistakes, but moreover we learned what comps are really all about and i'm here to tell you that the only way to learn is to enter one. I don't care how much you read, how much you search the web, or how many compers or KCBS jucdges you can confer with, you have to do it to learn ( and yes Steve, we were, and prolly still are rookies).

we ended up 44 out of 49 as I recall.

We had a respectable score in Brisket for a first time crew (if we hadn't made the mistakes we made, I think we would've had a chance of getting a call)

Nothing else but the "anything but" contest got a respectable score, but with the mistakes we made, I really didn't expect to do even as well as we did.

Good cooks, poor performance, lack of understanding of exactly what our goals should've been all contributed to our poor performance.

if we had submitted the Q we produced the week before at out practice run we would've done much better.

I don't want to sound like I'm crying about poor judging, in fact, I'm not blaming the judges at all, but I do think they shouuld've let us know that instead of KCBS certified judges, we were being judged by the local Elks members. It's not that we would've scored any better ( we didn't produce as good of food as we were capable of), it's just that if we had real judges, at least we would've emerged with bona fide knowledge of what KCBS judges want in their Q.

I'm (I'm sure we all are) worn out right now, its past dinner time, and then I'll be off to bed. Scores, details, pix and all we be posted in the next few days.

As it stands right now, with what I know about Q comps, I don't really think I care to participate in the future. I think I would much prefer to just go and hang out in the future. That may well change when I recover from my current exhaustion.Good read .I may do a comp or two myself and see what turns out .Agree on the go for it method .Never know whats gonna happen .

SmokyOkie
01-21-2010, 12:16 PM
It wouldn't hurt to find a team that will let you hang with them and learn some basics.