PDA

View Full Version : Premium memberships

Fatboy
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM
The time has come for us to consider offering paid premium memberships.

We have experienced phenomenal growth in the nearly 2 1/2 short years we have been around, and we are now to the point where we need to consider using a professional maintenance and and support service.

this will provide us with immediate response resolution in the case of a crash, as well as hourly back up service so that even in the event of a crash, we will never lose any more than what was posted in the hour before the crash.

Beyond that, it will also ensure that we will always be up to date on new improvements and software updates, thus providing all of us with a better experience and more features.

These services are not inexpensive, and we would need to rely on the contributions of our members in order to accomplish this. As yet, while they have been many and are all generous, random voluntary donations have not been in increments that would afford this type of service

We have considered adding perks for paid premium members such as more photo storage space, more PM storage capacity, ability to PM more people at once, ability to start social groups, and possibly even recipe storage capability.

There are two areas in which we really need to hear your feedback.

First, we are considering either a yearly membership fee, or a much smaller monthly fee, either would most likely be automatic. These fees would probable not exceed $3.00 or $4.00 per month, unless we opt to offer a medium and top level subscription. We are seeking your input as to which you would prefer, and if you would want to participate.

Second, we are seeking your input as to what additional features you would like to see.

And, of course, you would receive some sort of denotation under your avatar as to your membership status.

Thank you for your input once again. In my opinion, you are all the geatest outdoor cooking people in the world, and that is what makes The Q Joint the great place it is.

californiasmokin
05-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I like the recipe storage!

peculiarmike
05-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I LIKE it here. It's time. Nothing is free.

Every TQJ member should be aware that someone (FATBOY) is paying monthly charges out of their pocket to keep this website here and operating for your use.
We need to support this site. :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
05-11-2010, 11:16 AM
I'll chip in.

Are there no other responses?

That is disappointing.

PigCicles
05-11-2010, 11:18 AM
I guess I just answered the poll - yup I'm in for a few bucks a month

californiasmokin
05-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I LIKE it here. It's time. Nothing is free.

Every TQJ member should be aware that someone (FATBOY) is paying monthly charges out of their pocket to keep this website here and operating for your use.
We need to support this site. :thumbs up:

Couldn't agree more:thumbs up:

Thank You Fatboy!!!!

Joneser
05-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd be up for a couple of bucks a month...

BA_LoKo
05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I've had recurring memberships to other sites in the past and they are well worth it. At 3 to 4 dollars a month, it painless and easily forgotten.

Count me in!

Q-N-Brew
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Sorry for the inconvenience. When Fatboy had me set up this forum it was for staff to make announcements to the general forum and wasn't set up to be replied to. I have made adjustments for registered users to be able to reply to polls and to reply to the threads started here.

Thank you Brian for the heads up on the problem

O B City
05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Every *Qualty* board/forum I have been on since the 1980's have at some point had to charge for "premium" services, ranging from the right to post at all, to being able to store 100 megs of pictures on the site. All but a few of those are still in existence and humming along quite happily. I absolutely would pay a premium here where I might not elsewhere. You guys did a good job making me feel welcome here in the last week.

BigAL
05-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I voted.:moon: Wanted to be different, sorry.:D

i'm in ya pecker heads.

cabinetmaker
05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for fixing it for us Q. I've been subscribing to my Porsche forum at 25 bucks a year for 5 years now. It renews every year automatically through pay pal. The knowledge I gain makes it very well worth the money. I'm sure it will here too.

chadd17
05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Count me in. I have learned so much, and made so many friends on this site, that I would be proud to help out with costs. :thumbs up:

Buzzards Roost
05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
yah me too its just to much fun!

Vermin99
05-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I'd be more than happy to pitch a few bones a month to this great site.

Bubblehead
05-11-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm down with a paid membership, I use this site for reference several times a week so it just makes sense.

Scarfinger68
05-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I made a donation of $25 to this site but I would't be interested in a monthly fee.

It kind of all depends... When I came across this site initially I was just looking for free info. I would of went to another site if I had to pay.

But now that I have been here a while and seen the quality of the site, the comradery and genuine hospitality of its members.... Well I donated 25$ because of it and would now consider paying a monthly fee.

PigCicles
05-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I made a donation of $25 to this site but I would't be interested in a monthly fee.

It kind of all depends... When I came across this site initially I was just looking for free info. I would of went to another site if I had to pay.

But now that I have been here a while and seen the quality of the site, the comradery and genuine hospitality of its members.... Well I donated 25$ because of it and would now consider paying a monthly fee.

I think the site will always be free to use. The way I understand it is there will be added value levels of some sort.... I wouldn't have stopped at any site if I had to pay just to post.

tomshoots
05-11-2010, 09:05 PM
This is a great site. I've learned a lot, had a bunch of fun and made some friends. I'm in.

Recipe storage would be cool!

Fatboy
05-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Mr. Finger, first off, your donation was most generous and was not unnoticed or unappreciated. Thank you for your contribution to our/your community.

That being said, Mr Cicles is correct. There will always be free memberships here at The Q Joint. what we are talking about is simply offering a few more perks for those members that would like to subscribe to them.

There would be no aspersions cast on those that prefer not to partake of the premium memberships.

The problem that we have is that if we retain services to maintain and protect the quality of our forum, those people charge a monthly fee, and we would need to obligate ourselves to that. They don't work on a "Maybe this month, maybe not next month" basis.

So where that leaves us is that we would need to have a regular revenue stream coming in so that we could maintain the revenue outflow going their direction.

For what it's worth, the premiums would cost less per month than what your donation did.

Thank you for voicing your concerns. Thoughts like yours are why this thread was started.

bbqbull
05-11-2010, 11:09 PM
I am a moderator on another bbq forum.
I also pay to keep that site up and running.
I understand what the costs are and I am on a limited income.
I wish this forum the best of luck but I am unable to contribute a monthly stipend as other unforseen circumstances wont allow.

Thanks for allowing me to post what little I have.

Mike

Joneser
05-12-2010, 06:53 AM
I wish this forum the best of luck but I am unable to contribute a monthly stipend as other unforseen circumstances wont allow.

Mike
You are always welcome, Mike!
Thanks for your contributions here, we really appreciate every post from everyone.

smokinok
05-12-2010, 07:02 AM
I voted in the pool YES. I would be more than happy to contribute $2. or so a month to keep this site up and running. I have learned much here and enjoy the banter among some of the members. Now that said lets see a pool as to how much per month toooo keep certain people OFF this site.................. Just :monkey: around. This is a great site made up with a bunch of great people that all love smokin and "Q"ing.

Buzzwinder
05-12-2010, 07:13 AM
I voted Yes! I have no problem with a small fee for recipe storage and such, The Joint has become one of my favorite sites. :cheers2:

Q-N-Brew
05-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Mike

Mike you will always be able to post here. There won't be any pressure for those who can't afford it to pay. Please continue to use the forum as you always have. We appreciate all of our members and are looking to add value to the site. To do such will be an expense and we are looking for some help to add these features.

Thank you to all our members. As we implement our upgrades we will be making posts to announce what is being offered with a clear statement to the price.

TripleBQ
05-13-2010, 03:58 PM
The way this place is set up I would have no problem supporting it with a service charge / ie donation .and or pay for view .

Straight up I really like the folks in here and find less b/s and or harassment here than one other big board . Now for those of you who read from the other board but don't post here fully understand some of you are cool as hell and some or just jacka$$s .

" You know I guess Myron Mixon could not be a member of OTBS because of all the smoke and mist a JOS puts out ? "

I ain't bitter as I am just sayin my reasons for being here more and there less . When we had our discussion about an upcoming event your guys showed me ( and gals ) showed me what's real and what's not . Thanks

TripleBQ & family

ps Just don't make it do an auto re-knewal .. let me decide always if I want to re up or not .

BA_LoKo
05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
The way this place is set up I would have no problem supporting it with a service charge / ie donation .and or pay for view .

Straight up I really like the folks in here and find less b/s and or harassment here than one other big board . Now for those of you who read from the other board but don't post here fully understand some of you are cool as hell and some or just jacka$$s .

" You know I guess Myron Mixon could not be a member of OTBS because of all the smoke and mist a JOS puts out ? "

I ain't bitter as I am just sayin my reasons for being here more and there less . When we had our discussion about an upcoming event your guys showed me ( and gals ) showed me what's real and what's not . Thanks

TripleBQ & family

ps Just don't make it do an auto re-knewal .. let me decide always if I want to re up or not .

Triple, the choice is there now for "non-renewing" donations. Up in the top left of the main page you'll see a yellow button that says "Support TQJ". As you feel the urge, you can help support the site there.

For others, this ongoing monthly subscription will be more convenient and, perhaps, more affordable to some.

As always, we truly appreciate the support received, both financially as well as your participation.

What we DON'T want is for anyones donation to become a financial burden on themselves or their family.

silver-bullet
05-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Well..........For what its worth...........I kinda like you guys & gal.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:
Count me in.:stir:

Chargrilled
05-15-2010, 08:39 AM
hav no idea how I missed this. You know Im in fellas!!:thumbs up:

lazy
05-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Just stumbled across this.

I honestly haven't decided which way to go, pros and cons both directions. One thing that sorta puzzles me is that for some reason I have always had the impression that this forum started because some of our members didn't want to pay fees on another forum, along with maybe some personality clashes... Why I am thinking that, I don't really know--can't point to one specific post that spelled it out, just the impression I have picked up over the last year. With that understanding, isn't creating a subscription-based upper class getting the forum right back to what it was running away from?

Fatboy
05-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Nobody that started this forum ran away from anything else.

Nobody that started this forum did so due to any personality clashes with anyone on any other forum.

Nobody that started this forum had any problems with subscription memberships on any other forum.

In fact, to my knowledge, no other BBQ forums had subscription memberships to offer when this forum was founded.

The fact of the matter is that it costs money to run these things, and the larger they get, the more it costs.

If not through strictly volunteer subscription supporting memberships, how would you suggest the forum be funded.

I visit other forums that now have subscriptions, and I see no snobbishness, social strata or anything else on those forums.

Why would you think that would happen here?

the concept is strictly optional and all that has been free would remain so for those that do not want to support, or are unable to support the community.

foro the time being though, the concept is still in the formative stages, and is simply under investigation, though it does seem to be a favorable recetion so far.

PigCicles
05-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Personally I belong to several other forums and still pass through all of them to see what's happening and how things are going. I still pay a "premium" at one forum and don't mind doing so. And I will do so here - I won't hesitate one second.

This has become a settling place and I intend to help any way I can to see it grow. I like it here and have a lot of fun with the people here - most of whom I've never met and they still put up with me and my anti-chicken campaign :D

Count me still in!

tomshoots
05-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Personally I belong to several other forums and still pass through all of them to see what's happening and how things are going. I still pay a "premium" at one forum and don't mind doing so. And I will do so here - I won't hesitate one second.

This has become a settling place and I intend to help any way I can to see it grow. I like it here and have a lot of fun with the people here - most of whom I've never met and they still put up with me and my anti-chicken campaign :D

Count me still in!

Awww, ya chicken hater! Maybe you should start your own "Sorry you had to have..." forum:roflmaoha0: I'd check in every now an then just to show ya what you're missin'!

Seriously, this is a cool place, even for Clucker Love.:D

SteveM
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
New here but not by any means to the forum world. I pay membership fees at a couple of off-road/shooting boards ($15-$20/year) because I enjoy them and want to help with the expenses. There are other boards I've dropped my membership due to the lack of information or just plain "My junks better than yours" attitudes.

I have not yet dug deep enough into "The Q Joint" to argue the point one way or the other. But, as for the "Premium Member" concept, I think it is the only way to provide the latest and greatest forum experience. As a forum ages two things grow: the number of users and volume of data. More users requires faster servers/internet connections. More data requires storage space to archive and faster servers to access. All this cost money.

There are things I believe should be free. I can't stand paying for a "yellow/white pages" listing that they drop at my door step once a year anyway. But, the information contained on a site like this is compiled by people's love for the hobby. Trial and error, research and try again. Then, out of the goodness of their hearts, they share their "notes" with us on forums like this.

Having said that, it needs to be understood that a "Premium Membership" isn't selling the information but rather helping those that provide the means for us to share it.

Sorry for the long post. Bottom line is Yes, I will support you if I find this site useful which it's looking that way.

SmokyOkie
06-02-2010, 02:11 PM
I think that was very aptly put sir.

PigCicles
06-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Well put Steve. I was thinking about this earlier today and was thinking "ya know I've spent more than the cost of a premium membership on a walk in movie for two with popcorn and drinks. And I don't get to keep going back to the movies for that cost."

Like I've said, when it comes around, I'm in.

BA_LoKo
06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Well put Steve. I was thinking about this earlier today and was thinking "ya know I've spent more than the cost of a premium membership on a walk in movie for two with popcorn and drinks. And I don't get to keep going back to the movies for that cost."

Like I've said, when it comes around, I'm in.

You know what is amazing, besides this site? The fact that Joe found a friend to go to a movie with. I mean....really... :roflmaoha0:

:misbehaving:

Steve, I wholeheartedly agree!

PigCicles
06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Kevin - Why ya gotta be like that??? :finger:

BA_LoKo
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
It's just how I roll, Joe. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
You know what is amazing, besides this site? The fact that Joe found a friend to go to a movie with. I mean....really... :roflmaoha0:

:misbehaving:

Steve, I wholeheartedly agree!

His wife told me she won't go to a movie with him.:shrug::exasper::roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
06-02-2010, 09:01 PM
There's one in every class. How did I end up in a whole room full of em?? :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Your just speshul I guess.:msn-wink:

Capt Dan
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I voted no and here's why.

I was a premier member at another well known site. I didn't like a different color name, so I asked them to keep it the same color. I felt as though it was throwing it in others face, you know, the fact that I had donated the 35 bucks and they didn't. When I got tired of the mods and site owner, I wanted out of the"self renewing" membership. Played hell getting them to stop charging me, when I no longer wanted to be a member.

Now don't get me wrong. I do enjoy my time here and all the great folks I have met here, and FatBoy has done a great job with this site, contests, outings, and just recently sponsoring the Fishing 4 BBQ outing in St Joe. I do appreciate that, and I do plan on donating to this site again, the same way I did last time( support the site tab) I just want to donate what I can and when I can. Being on disability keeps the purse strings tight, but I do plan on making my donation in the next week or two.

The premier membership doesn't bother me. I think the concept makes sense, I just don't wish to donate in that fashion. I do hope it works out for the site.

Just wanted the good folks here to know why I voted the way I did.:shrug:

SmokyOkie
06-03-2010, 01:33 PM
That is the beauty of it Dan. Those that want to do it can, and those that don't, well they don;t have to, and it is really no reflection on anyone's status.

I think the staff here has always done a good job of eliminating undesirable undercurrents, so I doubt they would allow any snobbery on the part of premium members. Actually, I can;t thin of any members here that would engage in that type of activity anyway.

TX Sandman
06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Dan, on behalf of the staff here at TQJ, we respect your opinion and understand your concerns. Thanks for taking the time to explain your view.

I think the staff here has always done a good job of eliminating undesirable undercurrents, so I doubt they would allow any snobbery on the part of premium members. Actually, I can;t thin of any members here that would engage in that type of activity anyway.

We do our best. We've been aided in those efforts by the best group of members on the 'net. It's hard to get a big head when you've got so many folks around waiting to burst your bubble. :msn-wink:

gt2003
07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Just now taking the time to read around more than I have recently. I like the idea of a 2,3,4 dollar charge/month for those that want to participate. It's a lot easier to do that than shell out 20-30 bucks at a time. Off to vote now.

notbobvilla
07-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I've read this a couple of times and I have been thinking about it some. After being a member here for a few months and posting some "burnt" food pics without getting "burned" by the comments.....I kinda like it here:blushing:. I find myself looking forward to cooking just so I can post some pics, look at what everybody else is cooking and share thoughts. There are so many talented people on this board that don't hesitate to offer advice and share their knowledge. It is a pleasure to be able to come here and learn new things with new people that will surely become friends. :sign0092: to all.
I never noticed the "donate" button till just now....I guess it's a good time to do my share.

californiasmokin
01-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Well, I think most folks have settled in with the upgrades to the forum.I think most folks kinda see that eventually this will have to happen to keep the quality of this forum up to the levels that we have been so lucky to share.

Really just is a matter of the perks people feel are of value to them.

I still like the recipe storage! :thumbs up:

Tuck
01-30-2011, 12:57 PM
New here but not by any means to the forum world. I pay membership fees at a couple of off-road/shooting boards ($15-$20/year) because I enjoy them and want to help with the expenses. There are other boards I've dropped my membership due to the lack of information or just plain "My junks better than yours" attitudes.

I have not yet dug deep enough into "The Q Joint" to argue the point one way or the other. But, as for the "Premium Member" concept, I think it is the only way to provide the latest and greatest forum experience. As a forum ages two things grow: the number of users and volume of data. More users requires faster servers/internet connections. More data requires storage space to archive and faster servers to access. All this cost money.

There are things I believe should be free. I can't stand paying for a "yellow/white pages" listing that they drop at my door step once a year anyway. But, the information contained on a site like this is compiled by people's love for the hobby. Trial and error, research and try again. Then, out of the goodness of their hearts, they share their "notes" with us on forums like this.

Having said that, it needs to be understood that a "Premium Membership" isn't selling the information but rather helping those that provide the means for us to share it.

Sorry for the long post. Bottom line is Yes, I will support you if I find this site useful which it's looking that way.

Steve thank you for the eloquence . I wish I had that talent .

Buzzwinder
01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
:whathesaid: Very well written indeed! So what is the status of the Premium memberships? I'm all for it!

Toast
01-30-2011, 04:53 PM
My :twocents: is simply that this is a Great site with Great Folks. I've learned more here than my total time I've been on 3 other forums. I like the idea of a yearly membership fee. No muss, no fuss.

I would suggest keeping the forum as close to the way it is now as possible. The recipe database idea is good.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles and am guessing a lot of other members don't require it either (Just the facts please).

Why not improve the infrastructure of the site without making too many changes.

Thanks for this site and the good people that run it. :sign0092:

SmokyOkie
01-30-2011, 06:07 PM
I thhink the idea is to offer more perks for those that want them, like more PM storage, more photo storage, personal blog site, etc.

I know that staff is looking esparately to find good recipe software. If anyone can find anything good in that area, please be sure to pass it on to admin.