PDA

View Full Version : 85 gallon UDS

jerry516planes
04-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I picked up most of the parts to build two 85 gallon UDS. I have not built them yet as the customers changed thier mind. They take me about a week to build (Each). I have new Charbroil Kettle grill lids for each. See my 55 gallon UDS build for similar pictures. If interested PM me to work out details.

Bbq Bubba
05-01-2010, 08:04 AM
The CB lids don't fit Jerry. What you using for grates?

jerry516planes
05-01-2010, 05:40 PM
The CB lids don't fit Jerry. What you using for grates?

That is true they do not fit exactly. They actually fit inside of the 26" drum

I will roll a piece of 3/8 rod around the inside of the drum to create a lip and weld it in place. Then I will add a piece of insulation cord to create an airtight seal. I did something similar on the 22.5 inch that you saw.

I have the cooking grids that came with the grills. These are chrome covered and measure 24 3/4 inch diameter. That will give a 5/8 inch space around the cooking grate and the drum wall. Just the same as the Weber 22.5 grids do in the 55 gallon drums. I have a call into Char Broil to see if I can buy a couple more. If I can not get more I will cut some 9 gauge expanded metal for the lower grate.

swamprb
06-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Got any pics?

I see that Ace Hardware online has an Apex 26" grill for @ $100. It has a hinged lid with warming grate. Looks to be similar to the Char-Broil 26" kettle.

Seem to recall somewhere, someone has the hinged lid on an 85 gallon drum. I'm kicking myself for letting a used one slip past me.

jerry516planes
06-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Sorry,

No I do not. Try this http://www.cookingwithgrills.com/50500/char-broil-26-magnum-kettle-charcoal-grill-new/.

It does not have a hinged lid or warming grate.

The $100 at Ace doesn't sound so bad to me.

When you build it from junk the finished product is only modified junk. Do yourself a favor and use new parts.

Shipping from Michigan to you is probably prohibitive.

SmokyOkie
06-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Got any pics?

I see that Ace Hardware online has an Apex 26" grill for @ $100. It has a hinged lid with warming grate. Looks to be similar to the Char-Broil 26" kettle.

Seem to recall somewhere, someone has the hinged lid on an 85 gallon drum. I'm kicking myself for letting a used one slip past me.

SHenry posted about his hinged lid 85 gaal drum a little while ago. You might search his posts.