PDA

View Full Version : La Flama mesquite charcoal.

chef schwantz
04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Was shopping at a Mexican mercado market in the big city the other day and came across some 7 pound bags of La Flama mesquite lump. I picked one up for 5 bucks, but haven't been able to find out much about it. NakedWhiz doesn't have a review for it. Anybody else try it yet?

SmokyOkie
04-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Does it have a bunch'o' little tiny pieces and one or two 2# chunks?

chef schwantz
04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I haven't opened the bag yet Tim. It feels like uniform small pieces.

PigCicles
04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Be sure to let us know how it burns for ya Chef. I haven't thought about looking through the local Hispanic stores for lump. I'm pretty limited here on what I have easy access to.

I bet it does alright for ya though.

SmokyOkie
04-29-2010, 11:26 AM
It will prolly burn a little hotter than your standard lump, and a little more sparky.

Why don't you write a review on it?

In the mini stats box on the left side of the index page, click on the icon next to the word reviews and have at it.

chef schwantz
04-29-2010, 08:10 PM
While it is a bit early for a comprehensive review, initial impression is that it is a decent charcoal. Bag says its distributed by Sonoma trading. Size could be better, but seems to have a really good burn time, and burns hot. Sparks a bit initially, but not bad once its going. Ashes over almost like a briquet. No foreign matter, and little bark, mostly log. I damped off the top vent on the when I was done, which normally kills the coals, but these are still going. Wish it came in a bigger bag for a smaller price. I just did some marinated chicken parts, so can't fully evaluate its smoking usefulness, but so far, thumbs up.:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-29-2010, 09:00 PM
I can import decent mesquite c'coal from Mexico for $1.75 for a 3 kilo bag. The cost is in the freight. It still ends up around $3.00 a bag, but that is if you bring it in by the pallet.

chef schwantz
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I can import decent mesquite c'coal from Mexico for $1.75 for a 3 kilo bag. The cost is in the freight. It still ends up around $3.00 a bag, but that is if you bring it in by the pallet.

Well I imagine that with freight to Minnesnowta, it would come to 5 bucks a bag. I have a good feel about this stuff.

SmokyOkie
04-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Ya know, for the price you paid, if it does well for you, you can;t gripe.:msn-wink:

chef schwantz
04-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Ya know, for the price you paid, if it does well for you, you can;t gripe.:msn-wink:
Just wish it was in a bigger bag.:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Buy a few.:shrug: