PDA

View Full Version : Need advice!!!

Butt Lover's
04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I let a friend talk me into doing chopped beef for 150 people. It will be dropped off at a retirement home for a birthday party. Do you guys think about 80 lbs precooked beef will be enough? It will mostly be retired people and women.

PigCicles
04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I would think that it is pushing the low side. A half pound per per person pre cooked weight. I'd be a little nervous if the party included younger folks. If it is all the older retirement home people, they will likely eat light. Also one would want to rely on the sides a little heavier too.

I'm not in the catering business so I don't normally calculate for a large crowd. If the meat is provided then do what ya do and deliver it out. I just hope it's not too fatty.... This is just my opinion and others who are more qualified will be along to help ya out.

Partyshack BBQ
04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Your going to be really close Mike. I'm guessing they are doing sides. Thats 3 servings per lb. I just did 160 ppl at 45 lbs of butt , 85 lbs of brisket and 30 thighs . That is all uncooked weight and more than they needed. But they are big eaters.

SmokyOkie
04-25-2010, 07:41 PM
If they are having sides and serving sammiches, that is plenty, especially if someone is serving.

Your going to be really close Mike. I'm guessing they are doing sides. Thats 3 servings per lb. I just did 160 ppl at 45 lbs of butt , 85 lbs of brisket and 30 thighs . That is all uncooked weight and more than they needed. But they are big eaters.

How did they decide who got chicken and who didn't?

:stir:

Butt Lover's
04-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I know it's going to be close, but they don't want to spend anymore money than what I charge for for 80 lbs. They are using it for sammies and there will be a ton of food there.

SmokyOkie
04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Use chuck roll. Last I checked, Sam's was at $1.08" in cases. Two rolls per case, around 50# per case.

If it's chopped, there is no reason to spend the extra on brisket.

Your cooking weight loss will be reduced by about half too. If you want more bark, jut butterfly the rolls.

Butt Lover's
04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
I've never had much luck with chuck rolls. What temp would you take it to?

Okay - after doing some research, I've never done a whole chuck roll, but going to use them for this.

Thanks!

SmokyOkie
04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
200 to pull.

They will bark up like a big dog if you cook hot and do them whole. If you butterfly them , you still have a big honkin chunka meat, but you won't end up with a bunch'o' hard to eat dry bark.

Partyshack BBQ
04-30-2010, 11:46 PM
If they are having sides and serving sammiches, that is plenty, especially if someone is serving.

How did they decide who got chicken and who didn't?

:stir:

Not my problem. Heh I would just as soon do 60 or more it costs me the same in prep, plus I can fill the ice chest up more with chix when brining.