PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when it's time....

Joneser
03-16-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a Beagle, Elmo that we've had for 14 years, this past December. He's almost fully deaf, has cataracts and a bad back.
Lately he's been really unsteady on his feet anywhere but on the carpeting. Over the past year, he's been unable to "Hold It" for too long and piddles in the house, and he has been losing a little weight.
We've been kenneling him to contain the pee for the last few months.
He's the first dog we've ever had and we think his time is getting close.
Our problem is....
What if it's just a back ache, or he may have jumped off the couch wrong? There are a lot of "what if's"
I just can't tell if he's suffering. I don't want that, but I don't want to jump the gun either.
It's a hard decision to make and I'd like to hear some of your experiences to try to come up with a solution.

Here is a picture of Elmo from a couple years ago...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/jjones1994/Elmo2.jpg

Fatback Joe
03-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Sorry to hear that.

My experience has been that when you start to wonder if it's time, then it usually is.

Good luck with the tough decision.

Richtee
03-16-2010, 07:42 AM
God... I dread that day. Sigh. I guess a visit to the vet to check him out?

Browneyedgolden
03-16-2010, 07:55 AM
We had our last golden retriever for 14 years she went down hill fast. we just knew it was time. You will also know when its time. Dont wait untelll your ready cause that time will never come.

Bassman
03-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Have your vet check him over. I don't envy you your task of making the decision.

cabinetmaker
03-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I feel for ya man. We have a 15 year old Pomeranian and we're going thru the same thing. One week she palys and seems just fine. Then she just lays in a corner for three days then she's fine again. Its a tough one.

Vermin99
03-16-2010, 09:59 AM
A visit to the Vet is your best option.

smokinok
03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I really feel for you. The wife and I had to go through that with our Diabetic Poodle. Had to give him 2 insulin shots a day to maintain his sugar levels for 9 of his 15 1/2 years. He too was deaf, bad cataracts, and was having trouble getting around. Took him to the Vet and he said it was getting time and that I would know when it was right and to bring him in. One of the hardest days of my life but it had to be done. Found a nice Pet Memorial Garden and had him cremated and his ashes are there along with a plaque on the memorial wall. so very sorry for you and the family. You will know.

BluDawg
03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
It is always a hard decision as the occupy a special place in our hearts,I can be hard to let go. Because of the unconditional love the they give us they expect the same from us and that includes knowing when it is the proper time to say farewell. I would consult with your Vet and see what all options are. I fell for you I know that I will be facing that #@$!decision one day again .That will be a HARD DAY.#@$!

silver-bullet
04-02-2010, 09:11 PM
I have a feeling you will know when to do the right thing. Tough call. I feel your pain.

I adopted a 12 year old cat from the humane 3 years ago. about 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday he wouldn't come down for food. Took him to the vet on Thursday. They couldn't see him. Took him back on Friday he was constantly getting worse. They gave me some food & an antibiotic & told me to call them with a progress report on Monday. He died Saturday on the first day of spring. I was with him. Took him out in the woods & buried him by a lake.

Even though he was only with us for 3 years he was a wonderful additon to this family. I have to stop typeing....Can't see through my eyes.

Joneser
03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, it's been almost a year since I posted this. We're taking him in today to have him put down.
He's been a real trooper and stubborn for sure, but it's time and we know it for sure.

SmokyOkie
03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
You are doing the right thing. I would just hope that when it's time for me that it will be legal to do the same for humans.

bbqbull
03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Here is a site where I go to when I have to make those decisions.

http://rainbowsbridge.com

I hope it may give you some comfort.

peculiarmike
03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
15 years is a long life for a dog. Get a pup Brian. :msn-wink:

Vermin99
03-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Sorry to hear but glad you are doing the right thing.

Joneser
03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all of your support, guys. It means a lot to us. We all just re-read this thread and Jase said you guys were great. I said I know, they are.
We came home at noon and fixed him a big oplate of pulled pork and let him have at it. We took him in and was with him all the way through. We brought him home and buried him beneath his favorite shade bush. It was tough to say the least.
Thanks again.

SmokyOkie
03-08-2011, 09:04 PM
You are a better man than me Bri.

I had to leave out dog with the vet. I couldn't stand to be there.

No way could I have buried him.

pf89
03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
sorry to here about your dog i have put down several, the best hunting partners i every had, iam sure as with your dog they are not forgotten

SmokyOkie
03-08-2011, 09:15 PM
sorry to here about your dog i have put down several, the best hunting partners i every had, iam sure as with your dog they are not forgotten

Better hunting partner than me????????:blushing:

pf89
03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
well your a better cook

SmokyOkie
03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
well your a better cook

Perhaps, but I can't drink beer and eat peanuts as well as Leroy.

Fish-fire
03-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Sorry to hear about that its a hard thing to do. It will get easier

jerry516planes
03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
(sigh) I have read the entire thread a couple of times. Chokes me up to the point I could not respond! Always hard! I agree with your aunt.

PigCicles
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Better hunting partner than me????????:blushing:

You need more practice sniffing crotches and retrieving birds :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Now Joe, leet's not blaspheme Brian's thread.:shrug::moon:

BigAL
03-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Sorry to hear, Brian.

PigCicles
03-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Sorry Brian, didn't mean to take away from your thread.

Tim, you're probably right, I should be ashamed. I bet you are plenty good at sniffing crotches :shrug: :sign0013::saythat:

Joneser
03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Lol...it's all good....a little humor goes a long way. :thumbs up::msn-wink:

BigAL
03-10-2011, 11:45 AM
If Joe and Tim can't bring a smile to your face, then you are really hurt'n.
Brian, it sucks, but gotta ask...........what kinda dog you look'n at to fill the void? Gotta fill that empty space with a fun love'n, shoe eat'n, flower dig'n, poop'n on the living room floor, cat poop love'n dog. :thumbs up:

Wish you and your family the best during this hard time.

Joneser
03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Not really looking to fill the void right now...things will happen when they happen. My Aunt has a theory that your lost pet will send a new one to you, you just have to open your eyes and see the signs. I've seen that before, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Zeeker
03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Sorry to hear that.

My experience has been that when you start to wonder if it's time, then it usually is.

Good luck with the tough decision.

I'd have to agree with Fatback. Damn tough time. All the best...

Toast
03-10-2011, 07:05 PM
My bad.

Joneser
03-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Read the whole thread, guys...I posted that a year ago and put him down on Tuesday. :exasper:

SmokyOkie
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
My bad.

How so.