PDA

View Full Version : sauce no onion no garlic?

lazy
03-05-2010, 10:59 PM
The last time I took Q to work, I had a client who was really digging the aroma, but couldn't/wouldn't eat any onions or garlic. He does his own meat at home, but has had no luck with sauces because of the dietary issues.

Has anyone around here any ideas on a sauce without garlic or onion? I've done some searching around the web and have turned up empty-handed.

Thanks.

BigAL
03-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Poor guy. All I can think of is ketchup.:shrug:

lazy
03-07-2010, 11:52 PM
That's pretty much the conclusion I came to also. I was hoping someone around here might have a better idea.

Thanks. I'll keep looking and maybe I'll get lucky.

BigAL
03-08-2010, 06:52 AM
There are leeks. Is it medical or taste that he can't/won't eat that "group" of veggies/onion?

Vinegar base?

lazy
03-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Medical. Allergies. Really sucks for someone who likes Q. Guess it forces you to respect the meat and enjoy its natural flavors...

BluDawg
03-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Great BBQ don't need no sauce it speaks for its self. Just suggestion if you must serve it with some type of a Sauce would be to play around with some different Chutneys and use some chilies where onions are called for, along with some of the arm spices like clove and allspice, [Orange marmalade,current, jalapeņo with some apple cider vinegar with a little ginger and Chinese 5 spice]. You get the idea think outside the box. Fruit butters are an excellent starting foundation as they are dark in color add a little fire and some smoke and a little acid. Apple butter and ketchup will play nicely together, it only sounds funky like a spunkey monkey. Have fun and play with your food.

lazy
03-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

"Arm spices"? NEver heard that term. What's the story behind it?

SmokyOkie
03-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Poor guy. All I can think of is ketchup.:shrug:
Nope, ketchup is out.

Thanks for the ideas.

"Arm spices"? NEver heard that term. What's the story behind it?

Me neither. :shrug:

Vermin99
03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Carolina vinegar sauce, mustard based sauce and Alabama mayo based sauces should work. I really like the vinegar sauce, probably my favorite on pulled pork and mustard sauce, never tried the mayo sauce

BlazerQue
05-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm sort of in the same boat. I don't care for garlic but can handle it in small amounts.

Onions on the other hand are a different story. If there is enough onion in something that I can tell there is onion in it I will have a brutal next couple of days.