PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Joe Grill

woodfolks
02-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I will be getting an wsm 18.5
and a 22.5 UDS. If I wind I like the WSM
better Ill order a secound one this spring or Summer.

I was looking at the Smoyey Joe grill for finishing Chicken
It looks small enough to transport. Does anyone use one for
Comp. and How do you like it (pluss the price is Right)

Joneser
02-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I'll bet that works just fine to finish up chicken. You'll probably need to do a couple batches. I ♥ my Smokey Joe!

Vermin99
02-27-2010, 11:58 AM
From what I have read about them they don't get very hot without putting a vent in the bottom.

Chargrilled
02-28-2010, 12:29 PM
From what I have read about them they don't get very hot without putting a vent in the bottom.

They make one with the vent in them, I wouldnt buy the ventless.:shrug:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RALL/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004RALP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05KVGBSYXJ1ZD6TW7GHW

SmokyOkie
02-28-2010, 05:48 PM
I have 2 of these (http://www.amazon.com/Weber-51020-Smokey-Platinum-Charcoal/dp/B00004U9VU), but I don't think they make them any more. the travel well because the bail locks the lid in place.

They are 18 1/2", and would be big enough, but I would use a full size kettle so that you have plenty of room for a "Safe Zone" while finishing.

A lot of regular winners never use a grill for their chix.

Chargrilled
02-28-2010, 11:27 PM
A lot of regular winners never use a grill for their chix.

I heard alot of em grill instead of BBQ their chix??? Or at least have their pits so hot they might as will be grills:shrug::shrug:

SmokyOkie
03-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Some grill, some smoke, and some do both. If they want to score, they will be over 300 somewhere in the process.

Happy Cooker
03-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I have used Smokey Joes for over 30 years and I love them.I have never seen one without a bottom vent.I picked up my last 2 at a half price sale.They are still in the box waiting for the one I am useing to give out. I used mine at my last comp to do my red pepper shrimp. Came in 4th with that one.They work better with briqettes tham lump charcoal.Indirect cooking can be done on them if you are not cooking a lot.But I have done ribs and things on mine. JT

SmokyOkie
03-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I have used Smokey Joes for over 30 years and I love them.I have never seen one without a bottom vent.I picked up my last 2 at a half price sale.They are still in the box waiting for the one I am useing to give out. I used mine at my last comp to do my red pepper shrimp. Came in 4th with that one.They work better with briqettes tham lump charcoal.Indirect cooking can be done on them if you are not cooking a lot.But I have done ribs and things on mine. JT

Ya know JT, I'm glad you mentioned the ones in the box. I think I have a couple in my shed that I forgot about.:thumbs up: