PDA

View Full Version : My Next Pellet Pooper?

silver-bullet
02-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Don't get me wrong I love my Traeger Yet I made one mistake when I bought it. I didn't buy one big enough. Plus my Traeger hasn't been without its problems. So I hope to have enough saved by the time the warantee runs out.
I'm really likeing what I see here.
http://www.greenmountaingrills.com/products/
And I found this comparison.
http://www.gmgdist.com/assets/doc/GMGvTraeger.pdf
I'm looking @ the Jim Bowie model. The Craftmanship on these seem to be far superior than the Traeger.
I do also like the FEC 1000 But its a bit pricy & there is no dealers in the area so I can't look at one. Plus without seeing one I can't see if its going to have a big enough cook area because of the open area for searing.

No smart a$$ed comments PLEASE!!

SmokyOkie
02-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Have you looked at these? they look a lot like Traegers to me, but I know Big Al likes his. I also know a few competition cookers that like their tailgate grills. what I have seen looks real well made.

As to the FEC, there is not a pellet cooker out there that is even in the same league. All solid stainless construction, IQ4 digital ( the best) controller, customer service and warranty that is beyond compare.

To quote the president of the company "One thing about us, we don't build no S**t around here, everything we build is thee best it can be built" He speaks the truth.

I have a good friend that can get you a deal if you want one. If you want to see one in person, just go to any decent sized BBQ competition, and you will most likely see a few.

If you choose to buy one, it will be the last pellet smoker you will ever need to buy.

T%Hey are not built for searing though. for my :twocents:, a good sear needs to be around 800, and I only know of a few pellet cookers that can achieve that or more, and they cost about as much as a smoker.

As to smart a$$ comments, remember Lou, most of the pellet fanatics here enjoy the joking back and forth and don;t take any of it seriously. Nor do those that toss out the barbs.

BigAL
02-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Actually, I haven't used my traeger for a very long time. I do 99% on the country cooker. Wife will use the traeger couple times a yr when I'm not around, and that is about it.

Take a look at MAK(?), I've heard they are good. Also, look at the new grill/smoker by fast eddies. To get a review check out pellet heads .com

No matter what you get there will be things you really like and things you really don't like. Just how it is, I guess. Good luck.:thumbs up:

silver-bullet
02-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Tim Your right. I do like the FEC 1000? (is that the grill/smoker) And when I do upgrade I do want it to be my last.
The GMG is a nice product yet it is a glorified Traeger
I have never been to a compition. I don't even know when or where there's one near Wausau Wi. I guess I'll have to ask around.
Al
I am a member of pelletheads.com. Your also right the MAK looks like a fine unit.
My main concern is service after the sale. I've been VERY satisfied with the service on my Traeger. I've also heard the same from FEC owners.
Right now I'm looking while I'm saving.
You know I'll be able to afford the GMG alot sooner than the FEC. Yet in the long run my gut is telling me that I'll probably be happier with the FEC.
I just have to see one in person.

BigAL
02-28-2010, 07:18 AM
From everything I have read, the fec(not the grill) is about the best. If I had my "dream" set up it would be the fec ? (costs about 3-3500) up right one and my weber kettle. Don't tell ANYONE about me like'n the kettle!:exasper: I'll never hear the end of it.:roflmaoha0:

It's a tough choice when they cost so much. But when you do make your choice you'll be happy. Then you'll have to break it in and practice a whole bunch!:wings: Thats the best part.:D

Good luck

SmokyOkie
02-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Tim Your right. I do like the FEC 1000? (is that the grill/smoker) And when I do upgrade I do want it to be my last.
The GMG is a nice product yet it is a glorified Traeger
I have never been to a compition. I don't even know when or where there's one near Wausau Wi. I guess I'll have to ask around.
Al
I am a member of pelletheads.com. Your also right the MAK looks like a fine unit.
My main concern is service after the sale. I've been VERY satisfied with the service on my Traeger. I've also heard the same from FEC owners.
Right now I'm looking while I'm saving.
You know I'll be able to afford the GMG alot sooner than the FEC. Yet in the long run my gut is telling me that I'll probably be happier with the FEC.
I just have to see one in person.

The Fast Eddie's smokers ( FEC) are all strictly smokers, not grills.

Here is a link to the FEC 100 (http://store.cookshack.com/p-126-fast-eddys-by-cookshack-fec100.aspx) page. they are made from 16 and 18 guage 304 Stainless and have a double wall insulated construction.

silver-bullet
02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Tim
This is the one I'm talking about the FEC 1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKfIV0fviSE
is thes not a grill/smoker?
Here is the whole thread on the evaluation of this unit?
http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=2153.0
I belive you can sear, cook & smoke. Your thoughts on this unit Tim would be greatly appreciated.
Is this something you could also cook on the top shelf?

californiasmokin
02-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Larry is the president of the California BBQ association!

SmokyOkie
02-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Tim
This is the one I'm talking about the FEC 1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKfIV0fviSE
is thes not a grill/smoker?
Here is the whole thread on the evaluation of this unit?
http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=2153.0
I belive you can sear, cook & smoke. Your thoughts on this unit Tim would be greatly appreciated.
Is this something you could also cook on the top shelf?

Who makes the Lou? I have never heard of them before tonight. The folks at Cookshack make the FEC smokers, but I don;t know about these.

It sure looks like a step up from a Traeger or Louisianna Grill, if for no other reason, if I understand correctly, they are insulated.

How much do they sell for?

silver-bullet
03-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Tim
I thought you may of seen one of these by now. Aren't you a FEC Dealer?
Its a FEC 1000 here is the page.
http://www.pelletcooker.com/
Here are some pics of the painted model.
http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=2884.0
I've heard the painted ones go for $1.700 & the stainless steel $2.100.
Now if I saved for one of these I don't think I'll ever have to buy another grill/smoker. This unit from what I see can do all.

SmokyOkie
03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
I looked all over last night trying to get info on them, and I just couldn;t figure out why there was no info on them at the FEC site......Then my memory started working and I recalled being told that Eddie is doing this thing on his own w/o partnering with the folks that build the FEC cookers.

I believe that if you check, it is an FE 100, and not a FEC 1000. I would imagine there are contractual issues there.

I have a call in to verify this and see what I can find out about them. I should know more by tomorrow.

I looks to me to be about the same thing as indirect charcoal grilling only powered by pellets.

silver-bullet
03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
I guess we're both partially wrong. I clicked on the owners manual link on the page & the correct model number is FE 1000 PC
Any way let me know what you think of this unit. is it something you could do all with?

SmokyOkie
03-01-2010, 04:58 PM
There appear to be size limitations for my purposes,and I really can;t say very much about it because I haven't seen one in person, but it does appear to be very versatile. I noticed on their flare up test, they were cooking indirect in the video. I wonder if it would be the same if they put the chix on direct high heat.

Personally, I'm like you, I would have to cook on one before I would spend that much on one.

californiasmokin
03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
In the drawing in the right bottom corner it says they are manufactured by Dansons.

http://www.pelletcooker.com/

Here is Dansons.But I don't see FE.

http://www.dansons.com/bbq-pellet.htm

Hope that helps.

silver-bullet
03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
There appear to be size limitations for my purposes,and I really can;t say very much about it because I haven't seen one in person, but it does appear to be very versatile. I noticed on their flare up test, they were cooking indirect in the video. I wonder if it would be the same if they put the chix on direct high heat.

Personally, I'm like you, I would have to cook on one before I would spend that much on one.

Interesting point on the size limitations. Got me checking. The main grilling area (indirect) is only 17X17 1/2 My Traeger is 22X17 so I would actually be losing grilling area. The purpose of me upgradeing is for more space as I like to cook for camping & family cookouts.
The GMG I'm looking at has a grilling area of 35.5X20. If I buy an extra drippan & heat deflector & can make it do the same as the FE 1000 pc.
Because of the firepot being off center I'm thinking I can drill holes in the extra heat deflector for searing & cut the extra dripan down to a 3/4 size for grilling after searing. And still use the original equipment for the full grilling area when needed.

SmokyOkie
03-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Now Lou, I want to make sure you don;t take this the wrong way, but you might consider buying an inexpensive well built charcoal grill for searing. something like a Weber kettle or such. I know it would pain you to use charcoal, but it would be a much less expensive and time consuming solution to your searing needs.

We could keep it our secret.

silver-bullet
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
No offense taken Tim that's a very good idea!
I went over to MAK's webpage yesterday,
http://www.makgrills.com/ Nice unit but, Still I wouldn't be gaining any grill space. Shopping sure is fun. Probably be about a year before I'm in the posithin to buy. So far the GMG Jim Bowie it the leading candidate.
In the mean time I'm still looking. :msn-wink:

Partyshack BBQ
03-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Interesting point on the size limitations. Got me checking. The main grilling area (indirect) is only 17X17 1/2 My Traeger is 22X17 so I would actually be losing grilling area. The purpose of me upgradeing is for more space as I like to cook for camping & family cookouts.
The GMG I'm looking at has a grilling area of 35.5X20. If I buy an extra drippan & heat deflector & can make it do the same as the FE 1000 pc.
Because of the firepot being off center I'm thinking I can drill holes in the extra heat deflector for searing & cut the extra dripan down to a 3/4 size for grilling after searing. And still use the original equipment for the full grilling area when needed.
Danson's makes the grill for Fast Eddy and he is marketing it himself. Danson also makes the lousianna grills. If it were me, and I was looking for a pellet cooker to smoke and grill. I think you going to find it hard to the cook space. In order to get the grill space you have to up or wider. All the previous listed cookers have wider. Personally I would go vertical with the FEC.

Lou what do you plan on doing with it. Are you want to cook for large crowds, like you work? A FEC will be easier for you to move around. I used my traeger in comps with other cookers mind you. Moving it around was a bear. Mike has a FEC and I have seen him load it in his truck a couple of times. It definately looked easier than me loading my traeger. You could always go with a charcoal smoker like a backwoods chubby . You can grill on it , and smoke on it. A chub and guru would be about 1200 +/- ..

silver-bullet
03-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Simply put, I am a pellet head. I like the idea of being able to put a Butt on @3:30 am, run my am mail route, take my am nap & not have to worry about tending to a fire.
The main reason for wanting another pellet pooper is this. My Traeger has broke down 4 times. First it fried the temp control board then the fan motor the igniter & last the auger feed motor. Tha service has been super yet its a pain in the a$$ to load it on the trailer & haul it to my dealer 35 miles away. On cold days it has temp issues. George @ Traeger says if I have any more problems with is he will send me a whole new guts for the unit.
There is a couple times I could of used more space.
So my plan is to save for the next year & half & hopefully replace my Traeger when the warrenty is up. And just keep it as an overflow grill & camping outings. I Have decieded it will not be another Chinese made grill. So that leaves the GMG out.
Also I want my next purchase to be my last. I have lots of time to reserch my next purchase.
Today the leading candidates are the FE 1000 & the MAK.
There is a fellow on pelletheads.com that lives 50 miles from here has ordered a MAK. I'm going to take a look at it when he gets it

SmokyOkie
03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Simply put, I am a pellet head. I like the idea of being able to put a Butt on @3:30 am, run my am mail route, take my am nap & not have to worry about tending to a fire.

That's nothing you can't do with a Backwoods. Why do you think all the competition cookers use them, plus, you can get a lot more smoke flavor with one as well. Plus with the insulated cookers, there are no outdoor temp issues, period.

The main reason for wanting another pellet pooper is this. My Traeger has broke down 4 times. First it fried the temp control board then the fan motor the igniter & last the auger feed motor. Tha service has been super yet its a pain in the a$$ to load it on the trailer & haul it to my dealer 35 miles away. On cold days it has temp issues. George @ Traeger says if I have any more problems with is he will send me a whole new guts for the unit.
There is a couple times I could of used more space.

All issues that you would not have with a Backwoods. Plus, anyone that has ever owned one will tell you that they are lifetime units. You never need to replace them.....unless you do something really stupid.

ButcherBBQ
03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Danson's makes the grill for Fast Eddy and he is marketing it himself. Danson also makes the lousianna grills. If it were me, and I was looking for a pellet cooker to smoke and grill. I think you going to find it hard to the cook space. In order to get the grill space you have to up or wider. All the previous listed cookers have wider. Personally I would go vertical with the FEC.

Lou what do you plan on doing with it. Are you want to cook for large crowds, like you work? A FEC will be easier for you to move around. I used my traeger in comps with other cookers mind you. Moving it around was a bear. Mike has a FEC and I have seen him load it in his truck a couple of times. It definately looked easier than me loading my traeger. You could always go with a charcoal smoker like a backwoods chubby . You can grill on it , and smoke on it. A chub and guru would be about 1200 +/- ..

That is correct. Cookshack does not make them, Danson makes them for Fast Eddy. The mix up is everyone has been saying FEC when its FE 1000. FEC means Fast Eddy by Cookshack. FE means Fast Eddy. You will still see some of the original FE smokers on the comp trail, these are the ones Eddy made before teaming up with CookShack.