PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Cheese Smoker

peculiarmike
01-19-2008, 09:14 AM
I built this from parts I picked up at Lowe's, Wal-Mart, and Radio Shack. You will note the "snout" (old BBQ term) fits perfectly in the opening in my ECB's lid where the POJ (piece of junk) "thermometer" goes.
I installed a tiny 12V DC fan I got at Radio Shack inside the PVC piece that adapts to the expandable dryer duct. I also installed a jack receptacle to plug in the power source. The power source is a small 120V AC to 12V DC converter such as used with chargers for cell phones, games, etc.
The fan is NOT "temperature rated". It won't take high heat. But then, this is a cold smoker.
The fan pulls the smoke out of the ECB and into the smoke box. The smoke box is a plastic storage box I picked up at Wal-Mart. The lid does not seal tight, it has a gap all the way around it when in place. That allows smoke to escape. I placed a square wire rack in the bottom to put the cheese on so smoke would flow around all sides.
I fire the ECB with 3-4 lit charcoal briquetts, no more, and place a small pile of wood chips on top of them to generate smoke. If the weather is hot conditions are not optimum for smoking cheese, it WILL melt. I fill the ECB's water pan with ice and that knocks the heat down as it is pulled up over the cold pan. It is not 100%, I just don't smoke cheese when the ambient temperature is HOT (80's and up).
So, here are some pics -

ultramag
01-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Very cool Mike. Thanks for taking the time to lay out the set-up a little better for us. I think I may go get my old ECB from my Dad and do this. Anytime he wants BBQ he just drops hints to me anyway. I bet he ain't used it in several years. It would be simpler than my current cold smoking plan after the initial set-up. Thanks again!!!

peculiarmike
01-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Mag, I have some info on where to order the power source if you need one. Or you might have one around that supplies 12V DC. The motor does not pull much current, check the powersource rating.

TX Sandman
01-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the post, Mike! What temps do you get in the tub?

dads grill
01-20-2008, 08:05 AM
looks good mike thanks for the info was looking for something like this

peculiarmike
01-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the post, Mike! What temps do you get in the tub?

Really depends on ambient temperature and if the water pan is filled with ice. If it is warm and no ice the temps run up around 80°. The ice helps get them down. Course, if it is cold outside they will be much lower.