PDA

View Full Version : Deep Fried Ravioli

BYBBQ
02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Deep-Fried Ravioli

homemade or store-bought Ravioli - fresh or frozen, if frozen, thaw before using

oil for frying
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

1. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Then cook the ravioli for about 2-3 minutes at most ( don't over cook ). Then remove them to a pan of cold water to stop the cooking process.
Remove from water, place on a rack to let them drain and dry off.

2. Whisk buttermilk and eggs together in a bowl.

3. Put flour in a small bowl

4. Put breadcrumbs into a bowl

5. Heat oil in a Dutchoven or deep fryer to 360

6. Gently roll the Ravioli in the flour to give them a light coating

7. Now place the flour coated Ravioli in the milk and egg wash. Remove them with a slotted spoon and let the excess drain off.

8. Now place the Ravioli in the breadcrumbs and give them a good even coating of the breadcrumbs.

9. Now put the Ravioli in the hot oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes ( roll them over half way through for even frying and color ) or til golden brown.

10. Remove the Ravioli when done frying and put them on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels.

11. While the Ravioli is on the cookie sheet and hot, sprinkle them with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

I like to serve these with a warm marinara sauce.

If you are making your own Ravioli, you can use any filling you like, so be creative.

I also make these for a dessert treat using pie filling or fruit preserves for the filling, Panko crumbs, and dust them with powdered sugar with nutmeg mixed in. I make a sweetened cream cheese sauce for dipping these.

Joneser
02-17-2010, 01:20 PM
That's one of my favorite appetizers...thanks for sharing!

SmokyOkie
02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanx Jim. The coating really looks nice on them.

Did you do the same with the artichoke hearts?

BYBBQ
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanx Jim. The coating really looks nice on them.

Did you do the same with the artichoke hearts?

Yes, I do them the same way. I use baby artichoke hearts and quarter them before frying them.

Shiz-Nit
02-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Added on the to do list..