PDA

View Full Version : Javalena

Vermin99
02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
I was given a rack of ribs and a rear leg from a Javalena. I have no clue how to prepare it or cook it. Any advise?

Bubblehead
02-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Well, since I thought this was going to be a thread about a new coffee drink you'd tried, I'm clearly not going to be able to help. What is a Javalena?

Vermin99
02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
What is a Javalena?

http://www.tamuk.edu/about/javelina/

Buzzards Roost
02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah :whathesaid:OOOOOooooookay a pig.

Bubblehead
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
http://www.tamuk.edu/about/javelina/

Ahhh, ok. Looks a lot like the wild board we have here, I'd treat it just like you do pig. It should taste similar, yet different(depending on what it was fed) and should act about the same in the smoker.

smokinok
02-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Because wild PIG probably contains tricamonis (sp) so it should be cooked very well. I would thing to at least 165-170. Probably will taste gamey based on its diet. Never have eate it so am no expert.

SmokyOkie
02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Because wild PIG probably contains tricamonis (sp) so it should be cooked very well. I would thing to at least 165-170. Probably will taste gamey based on its diet. Never have eate it so am no expert.

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Trichinosis (trichinella worm larvae) is pretty well extinct in pork, but given the seriuosness of the disease, I would always cook wild pork to 175.

Trigamoinis is an STD.:msn-wink:

I have had it and it tastes like pork to me. I would treat it as such, but course pork, not the good stuff. I am told it can be gamy. If it is, you will be able to smell it before tou cook it.

pentail
02-15-2010, 11:29 PM
it will be WAY leaner than even wild pork too. they are kinda chewy

BluDawg
02-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Teat it like pork cook it well done. Because it is wild game it will be a little leaner than regular pork. You may want to inject the leg and add a little oil to your injection. If it has a gamey smell ACV will help to tame the Gaminess down as will a good thick coat of K- salt applied for 24 rs followed by a good rinse with plenty of cold water.

Bassman
02-16-2010, 07:23 AM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Trigamoinis is an STD.:msn-wink:

I have had it and it tastes like pork to me.

Is this really what you meant, Tim?:oops::D

cabinetmaker
02-16-2010, 08:22 AM
I never ate one, but we usta chase them on our bikes on a big west Texas ranch in the 60's. We chased them till they got tired of being chased, then we were the ones on the run! They're meaner than hell!

Siesta Man
02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Verm. Like previously stated the Javalina should have a finished temp. of at least 175*.:thumbs up: I previously posted a thread about Birria. The pig should be cleaned and rubbed with your favorite spices, lightly seared and smoked, into a dutch oven with the birria spices or your choice and follow the cooking directions from the recipe. If the pig was wild the spices will offset the gamey flavor.:eating:
Because of the coarse texture and no fat content you should finish the cooking after the smoking like you would a pot roast including making your favorite au-jus. Serve like a stew or heavy soup. I think you will like the flavor and texture. Break out the tortillas, suds and enjoy. :drooling::wow: Cooked my share of it while living in Mex. Let us know how it comes out for you. E.T.

Bruz
02-21-2010, 11:15 PM
I had some at a "Wild Game" Dinner once. Really good and tasted like wild pork to me.

Just a note on the "Gamey" comments. If the meat stinks it is The waste of the bacteria which is turning the meat rancid. This is not "gamey" it's because the wild game wasn't handled properly from shot to table. I have never killed an animal that
Tasted bad…it's all in how you field dress,cool,age and butcher the meat. I do All my own and wouldn't take meat from a processor or another hunter that I didn't know really well.

Btw......it's not supposed to taste like the farm raised,steroid pumped,food colored stuff from the local market......thank goodness.

My $.02

Bruz

SmokyOkie
02-22-2010, 12:16 PM
I had some at a "Wild Game" Dinner once. Really good and tasted like wild pork to me.

Just a note on the "Gamey" comments. If the meat stinks it is The waste of the bacteria which is turning the meat rancid. This is not "gamey" it's because the wild game wasn't handled properly from shot to table. I have never killed an animal that
Tasted bad…it's all in how you field dress,cool,age and butcher the meat. I do All my own and wouldn't take meat from a processor or another hunter that I didn't know really well.

Btw......it's not supposed to taste like the farm raised,steroid pumped,food colored stuff from the local market......thank goodness.

My $.02

Bruz

:whathesaid: Amen brutha!

I get real tired of folks talking about how you have to soak a venison roast in slatwater overnight to "get the gamy taste out of it."