PDA

View Full Version : Pork Chops & Cherry Cobbler

Bud Lite
02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
While it was snowing outside we were cooking inside....
Pork Chops n' Potatoe Sauce (right) and Cherry Cobbler (left) in cast iron skillets in the fireplace.

Those are cast iron skillets that belonged to my grandparents.
They did a lot of camping and probably used them over a campfire.
Cast Iron - at least 80 years old and still works good.

Pork Chops n' Potatoe Sauce above.

Plated.

Cherry Cobbler cooked in the Cast Iron skillet on the left in the first picture.

Directions for Pork Chops n' Potatoe Sauce in 10" Cast Iron Skillet

2 pork chops
1 potatoe in 1/4" slices
1 medium yellow onion sliced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can water

Add 1/8" EVOO to empty Cast Iron Skillet
Brown pork chops both sides.
Move pork chops to one side. Add onions and saute.
Put back pork chops, onions on top.
Potatoe slices over onions.
Add water and soup mix over all.
Simmer untill chops and potatoes are fork tender.
Check Chops for 165F with instant thermo. About 45 - 60 minutes.

Directions for Dessert - Cherry Cobbler in 10" Cast Iron Skillet

2 20oz cans of cherry filling
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
2/3 cup butter
3/4 tsp vanilla

Directions:
To help with clean up, line your Cast Iron skillet with heavy duty foil.
Pour the cherry pie filling into the Cast Iron skillet and spread it over the bottom.
In a bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, oatmeal, and pecans.
Add your vanilla.
Cut the butter into pieces that are about 1 tbsp in size. Mix into the sugar/flour/oatmeal mixture.
You might need to use your hands or a pastry cutter. Spread this topping over the cherries.
Put the lid on the Cast Iron skillet and bake the cobbler for about 45 - 60 minutes.
Check and see if the crust is brown and the cherries bubbly. If so, then it is done!
Serve this with whipped cream, optional.

Bassman
02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
That sure looks good! I'd even skip the chops just for a bowl of cobbler.:drooling:

Primo
02-02-2010, 04:12 PM
The cherry looks awsome .:thumbs up:

Joneser
02-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Looks great! Good Comfort food!

californiasmokin
02-02-2010, 04:53 PM
We used to eat pork chops and cream of mushroom over rice when I was a kid.I still love it!

Nice meal!

SmokyOkie
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Paul, you may be a savior. For years we ate pork chops baked in rice and mushrooms soup. We usually added a little chopped onion and sometimes a few mushrooms. I got the recipe either off a Campbell's can or a MInute rice box. It was one of those "I'll never gorget hoe to make this stuff" deals so I never wrote it down.

Then we went a few years w/o making it, and one day when I had a craving for it, I couldn;t remember the proportions, baking time, etc.

What we especially like was the crunchy brown that developed around the edges and on the bottom.

I have tried guessing at the proportions more times than I can count. I have been in contact with both companies and checked their archives, I have asked many but never have I been able to duplicate it.

Does my description fit what you are talking about?

If so, can you give me the recipe?

californiasmokin
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Paul, you may be a savior. For years we ate pork chops baked in rice and mushrooms soup. We usually added a little chopped onion and sometimes a few mushrooms. I got the recipe either off a Campbell's can or a MInute rice box. It was one of those "I'll never forget how to make this stuff" deals so I never wrote it down.

Then we went a few years w/o making it, and one day when I had a craving for it, I could;t remember the proportions, baking time, etc.

What we especially like was the crunchy brown that developed around the edges and on the bottom.

I have tried guessing at the proportions more times than I can count. I have been in contact with both companies and checked their archives, I have asked many but never have I been able to duplicate it.

Does my description fit what you are talking about?

If so, can you give me the recipe?

Tim,I am sorry for getting your hopes up but my mom just cooked em all up separate and served.

SmokyOkie
02-02-2010, 05:15 PM
:oops: Sorry for the hijack Budlite!

My cravings got the best of me.

Whnat I was going to say until Paul stirred my memory is that it all looks great. What did you do to the beans?

Vermin99
02-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Looks great!!! Looks like the cast iron cookware is going to be getting used for many years to come.

peculiarmike
02-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Bud that is some fine lookin' eats right there! DO cooking is the deal fer sure. :thumbs up:
You know we will expect to see you down at Grand Lake for the TQJ get together. Too close not to come. And bring the iron! You won't be alone.