PDA

View Full Version : Power Brining Method???

BluDawg
02-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I was vacu sealing some pork but last week and I thought of something that I have never seen posted any where. I was wondering if any one as ever tried this and what the results were. I know that by putting meat in a vacuum marinating times are greatly reduced. So why couldn't the brining process be done the same with similar results?:shrug:
Can any one who dose comp cooks benifit from this as a time saver? Under nomal circumstances I allow 1 hr per pound on chicken and pork for brining. If the time was reduced to 20 min per lb under a vacum would that sound aout right? Something worth investigating.

Joneser
02-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Since brining works through osmosis, I wonder if it would work, does osmosis work on time, with permeation or can it be forced?
Good question, I don't have an answer though....hopefully someone does.

SmokyOkie
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM
I was vacu sealing some pork but last week and I thought of something that I have never seen posted any where. I was wondering if any one as ever tried this and what the results were. I know that by putting meat in a vacuum marinating times are greatly reduced. So why couldn't the brining process be done the same with similar results?:shrug:
Can any one who dose comp cooks benifit from this as a time saver? Under nomal circumstances I allow 1 hr per pound on chicken and pork for brining. If the time was reduced to 20 min per lb under a vacum would that sound aout right? Something worth investigating.

Why would you base your brine time on yardbird on weight? I can see it with a solid cut like a butt or a ham, but why on a bird?

Since brining works through osmosis, I wonder if it would work, does osmosis work on time, with permeation or can it be forced?
Good question, I don't have an answer though....hopefully someone does.

Marinating under vacuum pressure definitely increases permeation. I use it all the time and it really speeds things up. I can't think of a single reason that it wouldn't work the same way for brining. The real prollem would be finding a container large enough to hold a couple butts, but then, I never brine butts.

As to brining comp chicken, there is really no need to speed it up. I just brine it early in the afternoon and then drain, dry and season it that evening.

peculiarmike
02-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Why would you base your brine time on yardbird on weight? I can see it with a solid cut like a butt or a ham, but why on a bird?

Marinating under vacuum pressure definitely increases permeation. I use it all the time and it really speeds things up. I can't think of a single reason that it wouldn't work the same way for brining. The real prollem would be finding a container large enough to hold a couple butts, but then, I never brine butts.

As to brining comp chicken, there is really no need to speed it up. I just brine it early in the afternoon and then drain, dry and season it that evening.

No pressure in a vacuum. It's a VACUUM! :frusty: :exasper: :moon:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
02-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Correction, it is negative pressure I believe.

BluDawg
02-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Why would you base your brine time on yardbird on weight? I can see it with a solid cut like a butt or a ham, but why on a bird?.
A few years ago when I started to play around with brining I read every thing that I could get my hands on about the process and the one hour thing was fairly common.I wasn't thinking of brining Butts,Chops, Loins and Tender loins was more to my way of thinking. As far as the container What is wrong with the vacu suc bags as a vessel? Drop in the meat pour in the brining solution and vacu suc. I think it will work. I'm going to try it in the near future.

Richtee
02-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Correction, it is negative pressure I believe.

Pressure it is ;{)

I have done an experiment...pretty non-scientific really... but a couple hunks for belly bacon. Vac sealed cured about 20% faster than the bagged. For what it's worth.

BluDawg
02-02-2010, 05:37 PM
OK thank you Rich.

SmokyOkie
02-02-2010, 10:57 PM
A few years ago when I started to play around with brining I read every thing that I could get my hands on about the process and the one hour thing was fairly common.I wasn't thinking of brining Butts,Chops, Loins and Tender loins was more to my way of thinking. As far as the container What is wrong with the vacu suc bags as a vessel? Drop in the meat pour in the brining solution and vacu suc. I think it will work. I'm going to try it in the near future.

You need a rigid container. You can;t develop negative pressure to any degree without removing the liquid in a flexible container. I guess yuo should think of it as the fact athat the amount of negative pressure is determined by the containers ability to stand up to it.

I think they should make an adaptor that would connect their vacuum pump to a 5 gallon pail or someting.

Dawg, why don't you talk to them about it?