PDA

View Full Version : thigh test with pics...

Umpa
01-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Well been messing with ideas on thighs for comps. and here is todays go at it.

got just some tyson bone in, skin on thighs from wally world. that and a can of kickin chicken rub (new webber spices).

heres half of what was in the pack
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff46/umpajeep/DSC01137.jpg

took the skin off and kept it sep. then deboned and trimmed the chicken to the same size as best i could. seasoned both sides. (pic is half our rub, half the kicken chicken and one with both, that one was a jacked up piece tostart with). then rolled it like so
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff46/umpajeep/DSC01138.jpg

didn't take a pic but i took the skin, fat side up and scrapped it down to just the skin. had a little of a learning curve with time and holes. ha.

then took the skins rinsed em and then wrapped em back onto the chicken logs. here they are pan'd up.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff46/umpajeep/DSC01140.jpg

put em in the smoker at 250 for about 45 minutes then took them out of the pan after they were set. spritzed with apple juice. cooked til 165. let sit for about 5 min and then dunked em in a sweetened version of our sauce.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff46/umpajeep/DSC01148.jpg

Skin was almost un-noticable. so that was good, not tough except the bastard thigh that was the winner of the messed up skin. that was the only one that had a pull away skin. everything else was tender and bite thru.

we liked the kicken chicken rub, but its too spicy for comps. and its not our product so want to stay with our stuff. gonna rework our pork rub for chickens.

Note for next time.
1. gonna brine the chicken for 4 hours in our basic brine.
2. might try braising them in butter/margarine for the first "set" phase.
3. instead of adding brown sugar to the sauce, going to add molasses to get a better sheen on the sauce.
4. put down the tongs. messed up one during saucing by pinching it
5. brushed these with olive oil prior to putting in smoker. thinking compound butter next time for flavor and color..
6. make more of em. they was good.

well thats it for now. well do a Part II next week. and then its onto brisket. (need to down play my spice for that one i think...)

thanks for looking...

and i know, before its pointed out.. needed a little more trimming and the sizes aren't as uniform as i'd woulda liked. but it was a how to day that will be tweeked as we move fwd.. thanks again..

Zeeker
01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
:wow: Umpa. I'm liking'em just the way they are. Kudos :thumbs up:

Butt Lover's
01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
The two on the left look damn neer perfect! If they taste as good as they look you need to come cook chicken for us :)

Umpa
01-22-2010, 07:00 PM
well thanks.. those are our rub... the other is to much big spice. next week i'll do em again with a box. then see what the masses think..

Vermin99
01-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Great looking chicken.

Bbq Bubba
01-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Outstanding!

Shiz-Nit
01-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Nicely done:thumbs up::thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Looks great Ump!

Two things:

Phosphate
Corn syrup solids

:msn-wink:

BigAL
01-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Those look great! Very nice.

smokinok
01-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Very good looking chicken. :thumbs up:

BluDawg
01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Pretty ...Very Pretty, If it eat's as good as it looks You should be walking frequently. Nice technique.

Umpa
01-23-2010, 01:02 PM
ahhh shucks.. made me blush. ha..

they were really good. not having sampled a lot of "good" comp chicken, i just wonder how good were they, sitting on a judges mat that is. we gonna tweek a little and see what happens in april. thats our first comp this year. had two that we wanted to do that are now on same day. now, i'm good. but i can't do 2 events same day.. at least i don't think i can....

SmokyOkie
01-23-2010, 01:30 PM
ahhh shucks.. made me blush. ha..

they were really good. not having sampled a lot of "good" comp chicken, i just wonder how good were they, sitting on a judges mat that is. we gonna tweek a little and see what happens in april. thats our first comp this year. had two that we wanted to do that are now on same day. now, i'm good. but i can't do 2 events same day.. at least i don't think i can....

That cost Myron MIxon $14K in dqs.

smokin vernon
01-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Outstanding!
:whathesaid::thumbs up:

Umpa
01-23-2010, 10:42 PM
That cost Myron MIxon $14K in dqs.

true dat... but that was also two kcbs.. one is just a local fundraiser/contest and the other is kcbs. prolly just gonna do the fundraoser one for now anyway.. besides, i've been talking smack to the guys that won it last year... gotta at least show up!!! ha

SmokyOkie
01-24-2010, 12:01 AM
true dat... but that was also two kcbs.. one is just a local fundraiser/contest and the other is kcbs. prolly just gonna do the fundraoser one for now anyway.. besides, i've been talking smack to the guys that won it last year... gotta at least show up!!! ha

Ya best!